Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

HERES A REAL DUMB QUESTION!

garyinreno

Reactions
So Im flying with a Google Pixel4a phone and for some unknown reason Im having trouble reading the fine print. So Im considering buying a tablet. Now my dumb question is....Does the tablet I buy need to have internet access? If so would it running off of a Hot Spot be acceptable?

Sorry that I wrote 2 dumb questions.

Gary

MA2 317

Spark 2017- 2021 MA2 2020 - ??
Premium Pilot
Reactions
If so would it running off of a Hot Spot be acceptable?
Yes.

Hot spot is acceptable for field service if needed.

I usually cache my map and do preflight checks with the home Wi-Fi before heading out.

It does not need an active SIM card or a live connection to the internet when flying.

Meta4

Solutions
Reactions
So Im flying with a Google Pixel4a phone and for some unknown reason Im having trouble reading the fine print. So Im considering buying a tablet. Now my dumb question is....Does the tablet I buy need to have internet access? If so would it running off of a Hot Spot be acceptable?
I don't think you can buy a tablet that doesn't have internet connectivity.
But you are really asking about cell connectivity and the answer is that you don't need that at all.
And if you wanted it for anything, hotspotting is fine.

garyinreno

Reactions
I don't think you can buy a tablet that doesn't have internet connectivity.
But you are really asking about cell connectivity and the answer is that you don't need that at all.
And if you wanted it for anything, hotspotting is fine.
Thanks again guys!!

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions

MAvic_South_Oz

Reactions
One more time!!! What size tablet will the standard controller for the MP accept?

Not a tablet, but the ipad mini 4 (or 5) fits just right.
For anything larger with the M1P controller, you will need a mount.

I bought one form Thors Drone World way back, a little like this one . . .

LifThor Mjolnir for DJI Mavic Series | LifThor Shop / TDW

They have a lanyard mounting point and let's your controller / device setup hang freely when doing pre / post flight tasks.

Check sizes, and maybe a look through their offerings, there may be other options.

A tablet can be rather large though ,and heavy.
Have you thought about a tripod mount, and long cable so you can have the controller in your hand, stand in front of the large screen mounted on the tripod ?

OldGuy

Reactions
One more time!!! What size tablet will the standard controller for the MP accept?
As you live in a very sunny area I would recommend a Tripltek 8 Pro tablet with a 1,200 NIT screen.

Reactions: MA2 317

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com

Gary
I have a Mavic 2 Pro with a 9.5 inch iPad that I absolutely loved. Here is my set up iPad in Skyreat Holder-rear view.jpg iPad in Skyreat Holder.jpg iPad on Skyreat Stand.jpg iPad-front.jpg iPad-SkyreatHolder-sideView.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07

georgey

Reactions

Gary
Yes I hotspot a Tablet, no problems, now I have a smart controller.

LA 2020

Reactions

Gary
Yes ideally you would use a tablet with internet 4G so you can see GPS maps real time. Especially with a drone that has waypoint capability. I use an Ipad Mini 6 because of its great screen size but not too large to handle

Alky1229

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
I use a Tripltek tablet and my phones hotspot and everything works just fine. I’ve even used it without internet/hotspot occasionally and have no problems, I just preload the maps

Reactions: Rudiger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FourByFive