DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi from AZ, looking to learn about drone programming

disco1stu

Reactions
I just bought a mavic mini to get started with something, but my goal is to eventually get something that allows me to program the drone to fly and take video and then stream it to a cloud service like AWS kinesis. I'm pretty confused about the 3d party software etc, if anyone has any insights to this I would love to learn more. Is there any type of flight programming available ont he mavic mini? I've read about litchi which I believe works with the mavic pro 2. But the goal is to have a drone fly from point a to point b, shoot 30 seconds of video and then post to an s3 bucket, or stream to something like aws kinesis. But googling "dji aws kinesis" just turns up random results so not sure I'm headed in the right direction...

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland disco1stu.

I can't help with the software but I can welcome you to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum. You will find all sorts of support and helpful advice. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

DJI Fly doesn't natively support live streaming but you can use other apps to live "screen cast"

Thanks, checking it out!! I'm exploring different approaches...my goal is to have something that can fly from point A to predetermined point B, capture video, upload it to a cloud service, then land again and repeat it within the same battery cycle. I'm guessing by the time I've figured out this process and ironed out the kinks (hoping by sometime next year) there should have been some development on drones that can self charge so that eventually this can be set up to run just as an automated data processing job (which is my background). Then I don't know what to do lol but I'm sure I'll get some ideas along the way. But I'm looking for programmatic approaches so the entire process can be automated.

so that eventually this can be set up to run just as an automated data processing job (which is my background). Then I don't know what to do lol but I'm sure I'll get some ideas along the way.

I read a post of a Spark Pilot that uses his Spark along with Litchi for daily recon missions on the ranch to keep an eye on the cattle. It's not self charging but it's a start.

Skydio drone manufacture has a self charging box but I'm not sure if it's available yet.

Thank you, that's great. Exactly the type of thing I'm thinking of. I'll join that forum as well. I keep hearing about litchi and that it seems to do what I need it to do, but I don't think it's compatible with mavic mini. The spark however is the same price point and looks like it's compatible with that...may try to return the mini (only had it for a couple of days) and get the spark instead. Either way, thanks for the info - trying to map out what drones have what functionality and see which is the most basic one I can get so this is super helpful ? ?

The other criteria you presented was to automatically retrieve the recorded video and upload to cloud storage, S3 in particular. The high resolution recordings are stored on the AC, either to the installed SD card or internal storage. Retrieving it is usually a manual process, either removing the SD and mount onto the PC, or connect the AC to PC using USB. Retrieving it wirelessly at full resolution would take time and eat up the AC battery. I don't think the live streaming that Go supports is any better than 720 or 1080p, and subject to signal interference.

S3 storage is not a consumer product/service so you would have to develop your own solution to make the interface and transfer.

The spark however is the same price point and looks like it's compatible with that...may try to return the mini (only had it for a couple of days) and get the spark instead.

Drawbacks of the Spark...

The Spark has approximately 14 minute flight time so purchase extra batteries.
The Spark has been discontinued but are still available being used or refurbished.

Good news,
DJI still sells the batteries at $55 each.

I just bought a mavic mini to get started with something, but my goal is to eventually get something that allows me to program the drone to fly and take video and then stream it to a cloud service like AWS kinesis. I'm pretty confused about the 3d party software etc, if anyone has any insights to this I would love to learn more. Is there any type of flight programming available ont he mavic mini? I've read about litchi which I believe works with the mavic pro 2. But the goal is to have a drone fly from point a to point b, shoot 30 seconds of video and then post to an s3 bucket, or stream to something like aws kinesis. But googling "dji aws kinesis" just turns up random results so not sure I'm headed in the right direction...

Welcome!

The mini will fly repeatable waypoints with a couple of 3rd party apps. Check out DroneLinks here (iOS and Android), also Red Waypoints, (Android only). Litchi has yet to add waypoint for the mini. Possibly (hopefully) on the way.

Fly safe and enjoy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan