DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High altitude flying

I live in Denver im going up to crested butte. And i try to stay out of the hot weather as it is. Im going to just fly a little at a time while its cool to get the hang of any differences

I regularly fly the M2P and MP above 10,000 ft MSL, and they fly just fine. Flight time is down a couple of minutes. The MA2 is reported to have even better power-to-weight ratio than the M2, so it should not have any problems.

5,000m is 14,000 feet [ASL] - The OP wants to fly around 10,000ft - so there's some room in there yet!
Last time I looked there were just over 3.25 feet to 1 metre. Therefore 5,000 metres = 16,250 feet. Therefore the craft's ceiling ASL would exceed your estimate of 14,000 feet by a further 2,250 feet.

Last I checked 16,404.2 feet was more than 16,250 feet.
Siri confirms 5000m is 16,404.2 feet.
She's never wrong, even when she is! ?
You're correct. Late night here in the UK and eyes befuddled at watching all the marches going on in AmerIca! I don't know what "Siri" is, but by my old fashioned method of calculation I made it 16,406 feet and one quarter of an inch. Makes one realise how NASA got their calculations wrong when grinding the mirror on the Hubble space telescope! Imperial versus metric what a palaver!

Last edited:
You're correct. Late night here in the UK and eyes befuddled at watching all the marches going on in AmerIca! I don't know what "Siri" is, but by my old fashioned method of calculation I made it 16,406 feet and one quarter of an inch. Makes one realise how NASA got their calculations wrong when grinding the mirror on the Hubble space telescope! Imperial versus metric what a palaver!
I've been running both systems in my head since grade 7 when they dropped the metric bomb on us kids in Canada. My math struggles in highschool were not helped by Systems International. Bah!

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Living in CO I often go into the Rockies as fly above 10,000. What I notice is with the thinner air, it takes more power, therefore battery life is slightly shorter. You'll also notice when coming to a stop after moving rapidly, it'll take a little extra distance so don't come screaming up to a tree or wall. But those are only slightly noticeable. Otherwise not much different...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661