DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I file a complaint with the FAA concerning a low-level flyover?

When I was flying fighters in the USMC, we loved people like you. People who expect you to put your life on the line to defend them when things get nasty. To survive that environment, you often have to fly VERY low and VERY fast. That requires training and practice. A friend of mine said it like this: "Flying low is how you stay alive while you are defending the lives of the people who complain every time you fly low in training."

BTW, did you check NOTAMs before you flew? Complaining to the FAA might backfire if they end up asking you why you were flying your drone in an area under a NOTAM.

Check out the app flightradar24 you can see what kinda craft it is where its going and where it cam from. I use it because I fly out in the desert m mountains and got tired of getting caught off guard. You can even turn on AR mode and just hold your camera in the vicinity and it will show the info.
Last time I looked at FR24, it didn't show military. Has that changed?

Reactions: CornerGuy
Last time I looked at FR24, it didn't show military. Has that changed?
I look at FR24 quite often and I've never seen any military planes. Maybe I don't know how to display them.
I also look at Skyvector a lot. I find sectionals are interesting to view and am trying to learn as much as I can reading them. Are military training routes adhered to or not? Thanks

FR24 doesn't show the military helicopters over my area. I use it often to check before I fly. It is a nice app to have.

Reactions: CornerGuy
I look at FR24 quite often and I've never seen any military planes. Maybe I don't know how to display them.
I also look at Skyvector a lot. I find sectionals are interesting to view and am trying to learn as much as I can reading them. Are military training routes adhered to or not? Thanks

I have been out of the low level game for quite a few years. When I was flying we flew low levels by using visual guidance based on a map on our kneeboard, along with a compass, a clock, and an airspeed indicator. We did our best to stay on route and on time, and we were pretty good at it. But people in training would often get off route.

I was once tasked to design a VR low level route. It was a pain in the a**. In war time, if we had a target deep in enemy territory, the only way to survive the ingress and egress was to go in very low and very fast. So we would pick routes we could easily navigate. For turn points, we would use bridges, very easily recognized bends in a river, water towers, easily spotted terrain features, etc. But when you design a route in the US, you can't often do that, because the straight line from the bridge to the water tower happens to cross 2 miles abeam a little airfield. And guess what. We couldn't invade their space any more then than I can with my MP now. So sometimes when we plotted out charts for the turn points on the map we found ourselves turning over a seemingly visually insignificant point in the middle of nowhere. Imagine you just flew 50 miles at treetop level and high speed to "nowhere", then you turn based on time to a new heading and fly another 50 miles hoping to find your next turn point where you expect it. We had no input to give us winds. It would be quite easy to get off course.

However, today, I'm suspect all military aircraft have advanced navigation systems which make this much easier. But there are also temporary operations where an entire area is open to low level ops. In those, we were generally limited to 300' in order to give room for the slow movers below. If there were no Helos, were could go to 200', and sometimes in the desert, to the deck.

And sometimes guys simply flat hat. But if a guy flies over my house one time at 50' and 500 kts, I'm going to give him a break. I don't know whether he had good reason or not. But knowing what he does for a living for me and my family, he gets a pass. If, he does it repeatedly, I might call the nearest military airfield and ask some questions, because he may well be a bad actor. But being spring loaded to the "I'm going to call the FAA and complain position", ,,,,, Well, if that's who you are, then that's who you are. And it won't keep them from risking their lives to defend yours.

Last edited:
Licensed car drivers and not even smart enough to prevent the 55000+ highway deaths a year....smarter and better technology hasn't helped much except when it comes to seat belts....it seems folks just can't stand the beeping the car makes when they are stupid enough to forget their seat belts....but then again, some still don't fasten them. They also forget that they left their babies in the car....People will always be stupid, be criminal and cause mishaps....I GUESS THAT'S LIFE. I really don't think more regulations will help but it will make some people feel better....

Reactions: The Raven
Just now, 2 military Blackhawks flew over my house WELL BELOW 500 ft! This is not a low-level flight area,, and as a drone pilot, this crap scares the **** out of me! I will estimate they were 300 ft. I want to file an official complaint.

Just now, 2 military Blackhawks flew over my house WELL BELOW 500 ft! This is not a low-level flight area,, and as a drone pilot, this crap scares the **** out of me! I will estimate they were 300 ft. I want to file an official complaint.

You won’t get very far with the FAA. But...I used to work in the Air Force Office of Civil Aviation and one of my jobs was to draft Air Force replies to Congressional inquiries on complaints like these. I investigated these complaints (some were hilarious) and found all of the flying compliant with the rules and regulations at the time. (I also never recommended putting a “no fly bubble” over the constiuents’ homes.) So...if you want to at least get someone to look into it, write a note to your Congressman or Senator and complain. Be specific...date, time, location, how you judged the altitude, how you know they were blackhawks...whether they had military markings (or markings from another federal agency), etc. It’ll take a while and my result in no records found...but at least you tried. Hope this helps.

I have been out of the low level game for quite a few years. When I was flying we flew low levels by using visual guidance based on a map on our kneeboard, along with a compass, a clock, and an airspeed indicator. We did our best to stay on route and on time, and we were pretty good at it. But people in training would often get off route.

I was once tasked to design a VR low level route. It was a pain in the a**. In war time, if we had a target deep in enemy territory, the only way to survive the ingress and egress was to go in very low and very fast. So we would pick routes we could easily navigate. For turn points, we would use bridges, very easily recognized bends in a river, water towers, easily spotted terrain features, etc. But when you design a route in the US, you can't often do that, because the straight line from the bridge to the water tower happens to cross 2 miles abeam a little airfield. And guess what. We couldn't invade their space any more then than I can with my MP now. So sometimes when we plotted out charts for the turn points on the map we found ourselves turning over a seemingly visually insignificant point in the middle of nowhere. Imagine you just flew 50 miles at treetop level and high speed to "nowhere", then you turn based on time to a new heading and fly another 50 miles hoping to find your next turn point where you expect it. We had no input to give us winds. It would be quite easy to get off course.

However, today, I'm suspect all military aircraft have advanced navigation systems which make this much easier. But there are also temporary operations where an entire area is open to low level ops. In those, we were generally limited to 300' in order to give room for the slow movers below. If there were no Helos, were could go to 200', and sometimes in the desert, to the deck.

And sometimes guys simply flat hat. But if a guy flies over my house one time at 50' and 500 kts, I'm going to give him a break. I don't know whether he had good reason or not. But knowing what he does for a living for me and my family, he gets a pass. If, he does it repeatedly, I might call the nearest military airfield and ask some questions, because he may well be a bad actor. But being spring loaded to the "I'm going to call the FAA and complain position", ,,,,, Well, if that's who you are, then that's who you are. And it won't keep them from risking their lives to defend yours.

I don't have a problem with them flying low over me. In fact, I still stop what I am doing and watch them go out of sight while wondering what that would be like to experience. I wish FR24 would show the military aircraft on screen just so I could go outside and watch for them. Whiteman is about 70 crowfly miles from me. Every so often we get to see those flying triangles go overhead.
I remember my Dad telling me in WW2 he was taught in the Air Corp to judge wind speed and direction by smoke coming from chimneys and flags flapping in the wind.
Back in the 60s we would occasionally find 1/2 x6" strips of aluminum foil in our pastures. Never did know what they were for, but figured the military dropped a bunch of them for some kind of aircraft or radar training.

I don't have a problem with them flying low over me. In fact, I still stop what I am doing and watch them go out of sight while wondering what that would be like to experience. I wish FR24 would show the military aircraft on screen just so I could go outside and watch for them. Whiteman is about 70 crowfly miles from me. Every so often we get to see those flying triangles go overhead.
I remember my Dad telling me in WW2 he was taught in the Air Corp to judge wind speed and direction by smoke coming from chimneys and flags flapping in the wind.
Back in the 60s we would occasionally find 1/2 x6" strips of aluminum foil in our pastures. Never did know what they were for, but figured the military dropped a bunch of them for some kind of aircraft or radar training.

Agreed, I run to the window like a child in excitement and jealously to see what’s flying by because those guys have a much cooler job than I do! I fly a drone because I’ll never be a pilot, yet they’re screaming by in a war machine

Agreed, I run to the window like a child in excitement and jealously to see what’s flying by because those guys have a much cooler job than I do! I fly a drone because I’ll never be a pilot, yet they’re screaming by in a war machine
That's the nice thing about FR24. I don't have to run to the window anymore. I can just walk. Once I get up from the couch.

I know that. It doesn't change the fact that drone pilots are not all responsible and I don't think it is safe to rely on them to be safe. Doesn't matter who's at fault if a drone owner crashes an helicopter because he was flying BVLOS.
Can a drone even take down a helicopter? I mean I understand it is possible, but I would imagine a Blackhawk is pretty robust not to be taken out by something the size of a bird were a collision to happen. Just some food for thought

Coming to this post a little late.... But.... How many of you have had a plane fly BELOW your house?.... We have a 40ft. bank on the water. This plane is easily 10' below the top of the bank and approximately 150' from it.... violating both height and proximity restrictions.... This, I found to be incredibly dangerous not only for the pilot, but for others. I had my drone directly in this flight path earlier the week before.... If he had hit it, it still would have been my fault.... Some things just don't make sense.....

LowFlyBy.jpg

Any TFRs/NOTAMs for your your flight area?

You won’t get very far with the FAA. But...I used to work in the Air Force Office of Civil Aviation and one of my jobs was to draft Air Force replies to Congressional inquiries on complaints like these. I investigated these complaints (some were hilarious) and found all of the flying compliant with the rules and regulations at the time. (I also never recommended putting a “no fly bubble” over the constiuents’ homes.) So...if you want to at least get someone to look into it, write a note to your Congressman or Senator and complain. Be specific...date, time, location, how you judged the altitude, how you know they were blackhawks...whether they had military markings (or markings from another federal agency), etc. It’ll take a while and my result in no records found...but at least you tried. Hope this helps.
It's interesting that they would investigate this. Do you know if there were ever any "enforcement"?

Navy helicopters routinely fly at what appears to be 300-400 AGL over the river in downtown Norfolk, Virginia. I see them literally every day out my office window. I know that this is the elevation because I know the height of the buildings that they are flying just above. The base is several miles away so I know that they are not taking off or landing at this point. The CH-53s make the windows rattle and there are others that fly daily, as well. Certainly I am thankful for their service and glad they are here, but it certainly makes me leery of flying in this location, although I would like to.

As a former Naval Aircrewman, I can tell you that they have the clearance to perform those operations. BTW, I performed SAR missions in areas like yours (low and slow) and no one complained when we pull the victims off of cliffs or raging waters. Besides, don't you like to hear the sound of freedom!

All the junior G-men in this hobby are sickening. Some of you guys are worse than that fat fvck who hangs around public ranges waiting for someone to shoulder a SIG brace so he can run up and yell at them.

Reactions: AK Vet
Where I live by the beach we get military and sight seeing helo's and ultralights flying low every single day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt