DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I file a complaint with the FAA concerning a low-level flyover?

Do those rules apply to the plane and helicopter jockeys that fly the pipelines and powerlines? We have 4 pipelines and 2 double standard powerlines around here that get flown once a week or so. Sure looks like those guys aren't over 250-300' high.
They get a FAA waiver to fly that low over the power lines. Just like we can get waivers. Perfectly legal.

I found the pics I took. Original, and zoomed in and circled.

View attachment 33590

View attachment 33591

These were lower when they past and started climbing. They came and did another fly by a few minutes later.

Look at the apparent position of those aircraft relative to the horizontal frame of reference (the horizon). They are hundreds of feet above your aircraft.

Here is one avenue for you to seek relief from those dangerous low flying aircraft. Many of us will become familiar with the process, since the public will hammer drones every chance they get, whether we deserve it or not.

File a Consumer Complaint

Look at the apparent position of those aircraft relative to the horizontal frame of reference (the horizon). They are hundreds of feet above your aircraft.

As posted, they were climbing by the time I took the picture. They were at the low end of the run passing us. Even the police that were talking to me couldn’t believe how low. If I had a better camera, you’d be able to see that the planes were on a climb. It’s ok, I have nothing to prove, I was just sharing an experience and I knew there was going to be skepticism as soon as I posted it.

As posted, they were climbing by the time I took the picture. They were at the low end of the run passing us. Even the police that were talking to me couldn’t believe how low. If I had a better camera, you’d be able to see that the planes were on a climb. It’s ok, I have nothing to prove, I was just sharing an experience and I knew there was going to be skepticism as soon as I posted it.

Fair enough - then that does seem much too low over a residential area. Is the base nearby?

I found all this really useful. Even though I live over 10 miles from the nearest airport because of the terrain I get planes flying directly over my property at 500 feet constantly. One day a military Osprey flew over at 250 - 300 feet. I was wondering if they were exempt and now I know.
Thanks, Mike from Dewey, Arizona

Those aircraft had 'clearance' to do what they did (you can bet on it). You can complain, and the FAA welcomes your opinion. And yes, public opinion may shape future clearance considerations.

Reactions: txfiremedic
Speaking of - whatever became of that "drone induced" chopper crash in SC?

This video is a bit long, just something I did back when learning maneuvers and post edit. Anyhow, fwd to 3:00 and you see I do a quick pass out over the fields and back to the grassy knoll my big arse is planted in. Then at 5:56 you'll see 3 Blackhawks pass right through the flight path I had just taken. At, or below even, the same altitude I had just flown. Although my neighborhood is outside any zones, I see this all he time around here. Luke AF Base is miles away, on the west side of the valley (I'm on the east), but they do some military training around here somewhere. I know there's an airport, obviously out of the 5 mile range as no zones here, I watch their flight patterns coming over the neighborhood all the time. Rarely do I ever see them as low as these military aircraft are passing by around here. Just something to always be aware of when flying in da hood....

Last edited:
Just now, 2 military Blackhawks flew over my house WELL BELOW 500 ft! This is not a low-level flight area,, and as a drone pilot, this crap scares the **** out of me! I will estimate they were 300 ft. I want to file an official complaint.
I would be more happy that they were out there doing their job protecting us and NOT sitting at the base doing nothing. they need to keep upa in their sectors etc etc. so net time they fly over give them a wave and THANK THEM FOR PROTECTING YOU AND ME WITH THIER LIVES!! I doubt very much they were goofing off they are watched VERY CLOSELY VIA RADAR.

This video is a bit long, just something I did back when learning maneuvers and post edit. Anyhow, fwd to 3:00 and you see I do a quick pass out over the fields and back to the grassy knoll my big arse is planted in. Then at 5:56 you'll see 3 Blackhawks pass right through the flight path I had just taken. At, or below even, the same altitude I had just flown. Although my neighborhood is outside any zones, I see this all he time around here. Luke AF Base is miles away, on the west side of the valley (I'm on the east), but they do some military training around here somewhere. I know there's an airport, obviously out of the 5 mile range as no zones here, I watch their flight patterns coming over the neighborhood all the time. Rarely do I ever see them as low as these military aircraft are passing by around here. Just something to always be aware of when flying in da hood....

I can't believe you think your drone altitude was any where close to the Black Hawks altitude! Maybe the relatively large size of the helicopters was skewing your perception. I doubt if they were under 1000 feet.

I live on/near a military training route. I just a little gray line on the chart. I'm about 50 miles from the ang base.

Sometimes the warthogs appear to be flying so low that they are gonna scrape the treetops, I'd guess way under 500'. Most times I would estimate they are closer to 1,000 feet agl or more.

Helicopter's can fly much lower than 500 feet you see them at 150 to 200 all the time it is up to the Drone pilot to watch for them
it's all in the FAA rule books if you care to take the time a fine out what's right and wrong when you put your drone in the air

I live on/near a military training route. I just a little gray line on the chart. I'm about 50 miles from the ang base.

Sometimes the warthogs appear to be flying so low that they are gonna scrape the treetops, I'd guess way under 500'. Most times I would estimate they are closer to 1,000 feet agl or more.
Those might be the same planes that I see flying. They cover a lot of ground/air in minutes
Helicopter's can fly much lower than 500 feet you see them at 150 to 200 all the time it is up to the Drone pilot to watch for them
it's all in the FAA rule books if you care to take the time a fine out what's right and wrong when you put your drone in the air
Anytime I hear anything in the air, I land asap. I don't want anything to do with meeting anything in the air. I know I'm at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to airspace.

Reactions: flockshot
Is this low enough? Last summer when they were spraying a neighboring farm, they cut straight across my property every time they refilled their sprayers. Video taken from my backyard. Only their first flight catches me by surprise... once I know they are around, I won't fly.

Military copters don't go this low, but they often fly well below my drone's range. Military bases about 10 miles away. They don't bother me so much as long as I have time to react and get out of their way. They don't show up on the flight apps like commercial helicopters, and usually fly in pairs or triplets which I assume are practice runs.

I have 400 feet elevation just on my property and my launching point is often 1250-1500 ft. above sea level.

Reactions: sitka_rn
I can't believe you think your drone altitude was any where close to the Black Hawks altitude! Maybe the relatively large size of the helicopters was skewing your perception. I doubt if they were under 1000 feet.

These old eyes ain't what they used to be. The scripts are getting harder and harder to keep up with even. So yeah, my altitude may not have been exact as theirs, I was only up around 350-385ft. I'm sure they wern't that low, but I was just making a point of the fact it happens and we should always be aware.

Reactions: George_Grant
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky