DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I file a complaint with the FAA concerning a low-level flyover?

Military helicopters fly low over my area all the time. They rattle the windows in my house as they pass over. Due to the hilly landscape they can appear quickly giving me little time to react.... and I'm sure my drone would be the same problem for them. When agricultural copters are spraying, I often can look down at them when standing in my back yard as they fly just above the tree levels.
I was about to post the same issue. When crop dusting/spraying with a helicopter or plane ...or a helicopter carrying a tethered load... Are pilots required to alert local area traffic of their destination and height before or during any leg of a flight on radio? Is it worth getting a hand held radio for monitoring pilot chatter for area traffic when there is limited ATC tower? There is a US Coast Guard Air Station here but I have never seen one of their helos below 400 ft unless dropping a rescue swimmer or performing a rescue. I can feel them before I see them. Have no idea where they are coming from usually... they just appear

Reactions: TheFarmer
Helicopters can fly below 500ft as long as they aren't operated in a manner hazardous to people or property on the ground. As a drone operator, you have to give way regardless of height.
That's crazy. I'm a Commercial helicopter pilot in Canada and our laws are no flying below 1000 feet AGL over any built up areas (residential living, cities etc.)

FWIW, Cymruflyer he was flying within 300 ft. of most of the homes down the beach from us and as low as 20' over the beach.... Not water.... He was flying over beach. To me... It was inexcusable and all of my neighbors agree and want it to stop.... Something has to change.... BTW.... I AM correctly informed...

FAR Part 91:
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Greg

Sorry SkunkBayWeather, you are NOT completely informed (read the next paragraph (d)

" 14 CFR 91.119 (d)Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface -

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA)."

Helicopters are separate and distinct which the FAA recognizes. Also, the FAA is not the governing agency for flight regulations under which the US Armed Forces operate (even though their regulations do mimic the FAA's in most parts and waivers are obtained for others). The sentence which states conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface, would cover ALL flight operations until he landed or impacted a surface structure causing damage or injury. Thus an over flight at ANY altitude, which causes no personal injury nor property surface damage are ALL LEGAL per the FAA. If you want to complain you would need to contact the post/base of the operating aircraft to register a complaint with the PAO and then would receive an appropriate response from the Post/Base.

FAR 91.119 summation: 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General

Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. Paragraph B states that an aircraft must maintain an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft in congested areas. Paragraph C states that an aircraft must maintain an altitude of 500 feet above the surface in non-congested areas. Over open water or sparsely populated areas, an aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki