DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How come we see many very popular Youtubers flying BVLOS if it's not allowed?

The problem is that some people seem to reluctant to put any effort into trying to work out how to remain legal.
More effort is required from BOTH the rule makers (to fix the rules) and the drone pilots (to obey the rules).

I believe simple rules are best. A simple rule adjustment could be that “VLOS is not required where the drone is flying higher than all obstacles within it’s vicinity”.

Keep in mind that LOTS of drone crashes occur within VLOS. However almost NO drone crashes occur where the pilot is flying higher than all obstacles.

A simple rule adjustment could be that “VLOS is not required where the drone is flying higher than all obstacles within it’s vicinity”.
But that wouldn‘t allow for aircraft at the same height as your drone - it’s not just about obstacles. The simplest rule is the existing one: “Maintain VLOS with your drone at all times”. It’s clear, unambiguous and covers every eventuality from a safety point of view.

But that wouldn‘t allow for aircraft at the same height as your drone - it’s not just about obstacles. The simplest rule is the existing one: “Maintain VLOS with your drone at all times”. It’s clear, unambiguous and covers every eventuality from a safety point of view.
There are two rules which are designed to protect aircraft
1. Max altitude of 120 metres
2. Airports are no-fly zones

VLOS is not designed to protect aircraft. The probability of an aircraft hitting a drone below 120 metres, outside of an airport is basically ZERO. VLOS is designed to stop (unseen) collisions with obstacles, which is VERY COMMON occurrence, just read the “crash” forum.

Regardless, I can’t be bothered arguing on a pointless topic. You’re clearly happy with the VLOS rule. I’m also happy because I don’t have to obey it. Win win. :)

VLOS is not designed to protect aircraft
??? Okaaaaay.

I’m also happy because I don’t have to obey it.

You MUST always fly your drone within visual line-of-sight

Fines of up to $1,110 can be issued per offence
and
If you are found to be operating a drone in a way that is hazardous to other aircraft, the penalty can be up to two years in prison and/or a fine up to $26,640 for an individual.

The probability of an aircraft hitting a drone below 120 metres, outside of an airport is basically ZERO
I don't know about Australia, but in the UK we have good coverage with air ambulance helicopters that are authorised to, and will use pretty much any flat area for landing without warning. These are not NFZ and I'm pretty sure the ground altitude here is under 120m.

You MUST always fly your drone within visual line-of-sight
???. Okaaaay.

You guys can continue to quote VLOS rules and penalties, which are ignored by most drone pilots. Or you try figure out WHY the VLOS rule is failing and HOW to fix it. Your call.

I’ll give you a hint. Telling people they MUST obey the VLOS rule is failing miserably. Try something new.

I don't know about Australia, but in the UK we have good coverage with air ambulance helicopters that are authorised to, and will use pretty much any flat area for landing without warning. These are not NFZ and I'm pretty sure the ground altitude here is under 120m.
In the last 10 years, how many Ambulance Helicopters have hit a drone? None that I’ve ever heard of. However regular drone crashes (into trees, buildings, etc) occur 100 (?) times a day.

That said, please don’t let the hard evidence persuade you. Keep telling yourself that VLOS is a rule designed to protect Ambulance Helicopters.

>>Malcx said:
>> You MUST always fly your drone within visual line-of-sight

???. Okaaaay.
Just directly quoting the rules from the linked CASA page and then their stated penalties that can apply. That isn't my opinion ?

The probability of an aircraft hitting a drone below 120 metres, outside of an airport is basically ZERO.
Rubbish! You clearly live in a very remote area. If not, you don’t know much about how helicopters, in particular, operate. I spent a good portion of my career as a helicopter pilot flying below 500ft. Police, air ambulance, search and rescue, coast guard, pipeline inspections and military aircraft (to name but a few) all regularly operate below 500ft. I had a number of near misses with drones and model aircraft over the years so I’m speaking from personal experience when I say that they are definitely a potential threat.
In the last 10 years, how many Ambulance Helicopters have hit a drone? None that I’ve ever heard of. However regular drone crashes (into trees, buildings, etc) occur 100 (?) times a day.
Drones crashing into trees rarely threaten lives. But that’s not the point. Many regulations in the aviation world are based on assessments of potential threats to flight safety, not always as a reaction to actual incidents. If the authorities see that there’s the possibility of a drone hitting an aircraft and decide to wait until it actually happens before introducing legislation (with potentially fatal consequences), that’s grossly irresponsible. Regulations/laws are not subject to some sort of popularity contest. They shouldn’t just be obeyed if they make sense to you or they don’t affect how you operate your drone. If regulations were only introduced because they were popular or easy to comply with, they generally wouldn’t be very effective. VLOS rules may be a little inconvenient at times but they rarely actually stop you flying your drone. On few the occasions when they do, it’s usually because there’s a real danger of doing third-party damage if something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I’m speaking from personal experience when I say that they are definitely a potential threat.
I am speaking from mathematics (i.e. probability and statistics) when I say the “potential threat” is very low. After hundreds of thousands of flights, there have been no helicopter crashes caused by drones, even though most drone pilots ignore VLOS. Which makes the “potential threat” basically ZERO.

However if you wish to create laws/rules that remove ALL possibility of injury or death, then please keep the VLOS rule AND reduced the maximum speed limit of all cars to 10mph. ? Do you see the point? Probably not. ?‍♂️

Regulations/laws are not subject to some sort of popularity contest. They shouldn’t just be obeyed if they make sense to you
Wrong again, or possibly just wishful thinking on your part. Here’s the reality ...

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” — Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited:
I am speaking from mathematics (i.e. probability and statistics) when I say the “potential threat” is very low. After hundreds of thousands of flights, there have been no helicopter crashes caused by drones, even though most drone pilots ignore VLOS. Which makes the “potential threat” basically ZERO.
I see... so your mathematics trumps my actual, real-world experience! In one case I spotted it in time and managed to manoeuvre to avoid it. The rest I didn’t see until it was too late and was lucky they missed me. You quote probability and statistics and you’re likely correct that the chances of a drone strike are low - but definitely not zero, and thats the part of creating legislation that you don’t seem to understand. You don’t need pages of statistics to make a rule valid. Aviation bodies worldwide are using the VLOS rule to prevent a problem, not to mitigate it. Clearly all of those countries don’t understand that what they’re doing (in your opinion, at least) is pointless. In your world, how many fatal accidents would you be prepared to accept before being convinced that a rule was required?

However if you wish to create laws/rules that remove ALL possibility of injury or death, then please keep the VLOS rule AND reduced the maximum speed limit of all cars to 10mph.
Remember that speed limits were brought in because having no rules led to many deaths (and plenty of people still think they know better in spite of the evidence to the contrary). I’m not saying that the VLOS rule will prevent many deaths, but if it prevents just one it will make it well justified. The VLOS rule is a compromise and allows for different degrees of visual acuity. If it equated to your 10 mph speed limit example, they’d give it a maximum range which represented the worst possible case and that would probably upset even more people.

I get that you think the rule is pointless and you seem to have convinced yourself that it achieves nothing and, as a result, you’re happy to ignore it and that’s your prerogative. That doesn’t stop it being the law. Be happy in your belief that you know more than your aviation authority does ?

Last edited:
???. Okaaaay.

Keep telling yourself that VLOS is a rule designed to protect Ambulance Helicopters.
I can't speak to the rules in Australia or the UK, but in really digging into the VLOS rules here in the US, I'm convinced the TRUE purpose of the rule is to simply discourage people from flying at all. Because if you follow the rule to the LETTER OF THE LAW, I submit the vast majority of people won't be able to fly anywhere except in just a small tiny window in their immediate presence. It could be extended a little further with a person helping as a visual observer. It's not about safety, it's about they don't want you flying. Period. They don't have the "juice" to get them banned all together (at least not yet) so they do the next best thing. Make the rule so stringent, so unreasonable as to discourage flights.

It's not about safety, it's about they don't want you flying. Period. They don't have the "juice" to get them banned all together (at least not yet) so they do the next best thing. Make the rule so stringent, so unreasonable as to discourage flights.
I know you can’t accept it because it interferes with the way you feel you should be allowed to fly your drone, but it is about safety. You’re viewing it entirely from your own perspective but you’re just a very tiny part much bigger picture. Most people can see their drone several hundred metres away. If you need to go further than you can see your drone, move your take-off point closer to your operating area. If you can’t see your drone for other reasons, move to somewhere where you can or just fly higher. That doesn’t seem unreasonable or stringent to me. I see it as a pretty good trade-off if it allows me to fly whenever I want. It’s only unreasonable if you think you have a right to fly wherever and however you want without any restrictions (you don’t). Other users of the airspace we’re sharing have far more restrictions than we do with much harsher penalties if they don’t observe them. They have to undergo lengthy training courses and sit tests to qualify to use it. We’re lucky that we can use it legally by just buying a drone and obeying a few rules. Why does that seem so difficult?

Last edited:
I see... so your mathematics trumps my actual, real-world experience! You quote probability and statistics and you’re likely correct that the chances of a drone strike are low - but definitely not zero
Correct. Mathematics provides us with an fact based, unbiased and unemotional view of the issue. It uses worldwide data, which includes all of your flights.

Remember that speed limits were brought in because having no rules led to many deaths.
Correct. However speed limits are designed to REDUCE (not minimise) deaths.

Speed limits are set at 50mph and this results in MANY more road deaths than reducing it to 10mph. Yet we all agree to this because 50mph results in greater enjoyment, benefit and betterment of society.

VLOS rules are equivalent to setting speed limits of 10mph, hence why people disagree with them and why they are ignored.

I’m not saying that the VLOS rule will prevent many deaths, but if it prevents just one it will make it well justified.
I disagree. I will not drive at 10mph nor agree with VLOS rules.

Reactions: passedpawn
I disagree. I will not drive at 10mph nor agree with VLOS rules.
I disagree with much of what you’ve said but there’s clearly no point discussing this when you’ve made up your mind. I’d say fly safely but thats something you don’t seem to be too worried about.

I disagree with much of what you’ve said but there’s clearly no point discussing this when you’ve made up your mind.
Says a man who has made up his mind.

I’d say fly safely but thats something you don’t seem to be too worried about.
I fly AND drive safely.

Best of luck getting the speed limit reduced to 10mph, to meet your high standards of safety.

Says a man who has made up his mind.

I fly AND drive safely.

Best of luck getting the speed limit reduced to 10mph, to meet your high standards of safety.
Helicopter pilots are generally risk takers at heart. An extremely dangerous job, and yet 99% of people don't understand what it really entails, and don't want to be educated about it either. Ignorance is bliss for some people I guess.

Helicopter pilots are generally risk takers at heart. An extremely dangerous job, and yet 99% of people don't understand what it really entails, and don't want to be educated about it either. Ignorance is bliss for some people I guess.
Travelling my car is far more dangerous than travelling by helicopter.

Ignorance is bliss. Sadly that “ignorant bliss”, people’s passion and their inability to take a backwards step even when proven wrong, make it very difficult to have an intelligence conversation on sensitive topics such as VLOS.

Last edited:
Maybe its because of where I fly, but I see a lot of aircraft flying low. No, it's not over my own property but it's common to see aircraft lower than 100 feet AGL often in the countryside. The majority are crop dusters, but I had a near miss at a lake I fly at frequently, and by near miss I'm talking about 40 foot AGL less than 100 feet my landing pad. Just a small private plane but it kinda shook me up. I also avoided an aircraft spraying mosquitoes over a river that I actually was lucky enough to see on my screen before seeing the plane. The facts are you often don't see or hear em coming and all of a sudden the aircraft is on you. Both of these incidents happened while my drone was in VLOS but might have turned out differently if I was BVLOS. Luckily on each occasion I had a few seconds to react. Now I will admit it would be rare to have a collision with full sized aircraft, but the laws are what they are currently, and all that really matters is you are responsible for your actions. Not following the rules mainly counts when there is an incident and you end up in court. I don't want to be in that situation even if the odds are slim.DSC00863p.jpg

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I see low flying aircraft almost every day. Heck I personally fly them low many days per month.
Powerline inspections all last week, flying really close to electric lines all week, at low altitude, way under the 400' agl that a few think aircraft rarely ever fly around at. Heck I consider 400' agl high many days. And be sure to let the people who are left behind by dead pilots, like children and spouses, that helicopters are really safe...I am sure they will be glad to get a call telling them how safe they are. I personally knew several pilots who were great people, no longer with us at a way too young age. I felt really safe when I was shot down to...felt even safer while Taliban fighters hunted for me on the ground after shooting me down. Safest **** job ever being a helicopter pilot...I really should have known...i stand corrected...

Reactions: DoomMeister
be sure to let the people who are left behind by dead pilots, like children and spouses, that helicopters are really safe...I am sure they will be glad to get a call telling them how safe they are.
Should we also call the families of the 38,800 people who lost their lives in the U.S. in 2019 to car crashes? Or do you only care about the helicopter pilots?

You are certainly advocating a medium standard for road safety (50mph) and a very high standard for helicopter safety (VLOS for drones).

I felt really safe when I was shot down to...felt even safer while Taliban fighters hunted for me on the ground after shooting me down. Safest **** job ever being a helicopter pilot...I really should have known...i stand corrected...
Full credit for serving your country. However the safety of helicopters in war zones is way off topic.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead