DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How come we see many very popular Youtubers flying BVLOS if it's not allowed?

TnDronePilot

Reactions
Since I read that BVLOS approvals are very rare (like 25 total), I'm sure some of Youtubers we all watch don't have the authorization to be flying their drones out of sight. I appreciate the fun videos where they fly 4 miles away for a test but how are they getting away with it?

I am a noob here. Does that count for ignorance?
I'm sorry I didn't mean to cut you off. :D Don't think there is enough FAA agents in the states that could even put a dent on this forum that do it. I do it. No need in saying I don't. Have to many videos in here doing test on different stuff. Nothing crazy but still. Now they just did arrest a guy but believe that's the first one I've seen but he hit a helocopter. We don't promote doing anything illegal but we have sections here onlong range flyers. Is why I poked you in my post.
Welcome to MavicPilots :D

I'm sorry I didn't mean to cut you off. :D Don't think there is enough FAA agents in the states that could even put a dent on this forum that do it. I do it. No need in saying I don't. Have to many videos in here doing test on different stuff. Nothing crazy but still. Now they just did arrest a guy but believe that's the first one I've seen but he hit a helocopter. We don't promote doing anything illegal but we have sections here onlong range flyers. Is why I poked you in my post.
Welcome to MavicPilots :D
Got it! Thanks.

There are many thrilling videos to watch of long range flyers here and on youtube that have visual observers, and many of those that don’t. Those that post videos without all the proper safety protocols in place, place a risk and burden that the remainder of us must carry.

Fly safe, fly legal.

Last edited:
how are they getting away with it?
Like anyone who breaks laws in the US (ever speed in your car?), they aren't getting caught. I bet there are bigger fish to fry.

Since I read that BVLOS approvals are very rare (like 25 total), I'm sure some of Youtubers we all watch don't have the authorization to be flying their drones out of sight. I appreciate the fun videos where they fly 4 miles away for a test but how are they getting away with it?
The FAA tends to be more reactionary versus proactive, and they have been for years. This means that it is very unlikely they will be showing up unless there is an incident or accident, and if violations of the aviation regulations are found to have occurred, they will likely take action. This also means that they do not bother watching YouTube and looking for violations. There were stories during the peak of Covid suggesting that agents were working from home looking for UAV violations on YouTube, but if even true, I know of no official investigations that occurred.

Regardless, many claim to use visual observers as mentioned above by @Tony McDrone, and nowadays, it would be very easy to say that the video was not real and a product of creative editing in order to increase subscriber count...

I will admit to flying a bit over BVLOS, but I only do so over large areas of water where a worst case, inflight failure would simply result in the copter taking a swim, with no threat to persons or objects. I would never do so over land, and although I may not be able to see the copter, I can clearly see the airspace that it is in, and in the unlikely event that a manned aircraft shows up at 150 or so feet, I would be able to both hear and see it prior to there being an issue.

It's not exactly zero response by the FAA, they do follow up on some videos that show rule violations, including lack of 107 cert for commercial activity.

Here's a Billy Kyle interview where he's discussing his meeting with the FAA about a range test video he posted for a Skydio 2. He flew it a couple miles up a river through a city. I can't find the video this morning, but here's the interview:

Billy Kyle talking about FAA meeting

He says he was in touch with observers he'd stationed along the route. There were no charges, only 'education'.

A couple years back, there was video posted on this forum, from St Louis I believe it was, that showed the flyer was in violation of VLOS and altitude in an airport's airspace. A couple of regulars tracked the pilot down via social media and got the video link info to the local FSDO in the morning. They reported back in the afternoon that they'd found the pilot, but I didn't see what the result was.

More serious violations like shooting down a drone, letting a drone drift onto the ramp and land itself at McCarran field in Las Vegas, or flying in the NFZ around the Miami Super Bowl have gotten fines like $10,000+ and charges.

With the recent attention on drones, I'd bet the FAA will be following up more of these cases than fewer as next year gets along.

If you want to fly 4 miles away and still see your drone and are a recreational flyer, put a few certified anti-collision lights on the back and front of your drone. On a clear night you will be able to see your drone at least 5 miles away as well as any manned aircraft approaching it. That's what I do anyway. I was even questioned by police once. They thought I was being "reckless", but on the contrary, it was like 3 am. There were few if any moving vehicles to worry about, no pedestrians and no manned aircraft flying about, I flew mainly over empty parking lots or empty fields. It's amazing how far you can see your drone at night with several anti-collision strobes attached. They actually look like manned aircraft. During the day I can only see the lights up to 5000ft max. Daytime flight is more dangerous with all the people and cars moving about. Well, that's if you live in a highly populated area. Also, during the day, there are many more small manned aircraft flying around.

The FAA tends to be more reactionary versus proactive, and they have been for years. This means that it is very unlikely they will be showing up unless there is an incident or accident, and if violations of the aviation regulations are found to have occurred, they will likely take action. This also means that they do not bother watching YouTube and looking for violations. There were stories during the peak of Covid suggesting that agents were working from home looking for UAV violations on YouTube, but if even true, I know of no official investigations that occurred.

Regardless, many claim to use visual observers as mentioned above by @Tony McDrone, and nowadays, it would be very easy to say that the video was not real and a product of creative editing in order to increase subscriber count...

I will admit to flying a bit over BVLOS, but I only do so over large areas of water where a worst case, inflight failure would simply result in the copter taking a swim, with no threat to persons or objects. I would never do so over land, and although I may not be able to see the copter, I can clearly see the airspace that it is in, and in the unlikely event that a manned aircraft shows up at 150 or so feet, I would be able to both hear and see it prior to there being an issue.
May be some fish in the waters that could easily take a drone, but I understand what you say! Safe flights to ya!

Reactions: TnDronePilot
If you want to fly 4 miles away and still see your drone and are a recreational flyer, put a few certified anti-collision lights on the back and front of your drone. On a clear night you will be able to see your drone at least 5 miles away as well as any manned aircraft approaching it. That's what I do anyway. I was even questioned by police once. They thought I was being "reckless", but on the contrary, it was like 3 am. There were few if any moving vehicles to worry about, no pedestrians and no manned aircraft flying about, I flew mainly over empty parking lots or empty fields. It's amazing how far you can see your drone at night with several anti-collision strobes attached. They actually look like manned aircraft. During the day I can only see the lights up to 5000ft max. Daytime flight is more dangerous with all the people and cars moving about. Well, that's if you live in a highly populated area. Also, during the day, there are many more small manned aircraft flying around.
Good response ... just wondering what anti-collision lights you use?

I use the Firehouse Tech lights. Most of them come with 3D printed mounts. I just use Velcro.
They provide great sighting at night and good during the day.

I use the Firehouse Tech lights. Most of them come with 3D printed mounts. I just use Velcro.
They provide great sighting at night and good during the day.

If you can afford the mounts, I recommend getting them. I have lost the firehouse tech lights using both Velcro and the supplied 3m tape. I had a crash at low speed and the light just popped off. It was in the middle of the day, a bright flashing red led light...never to be seen again.

But they give you VLOS at night time like you would not believe. I’ve flown my drone out 5 miles with perfect view of the drone the entire flight. I have green and red lights up front, and a white light on back end.

Fire House XL. They even have a beeping tone in case you land or crash your drone. If you know the vicinity of the drone, you can here them beeping. The manufacturers say they do not reduce flight time. They strobe, blink, solid and sos.

I use fire house lights that’s what I recommend only don’t use the Velcro they supply, purchase some real Velcro medium duty or heavy duty at your local builders store. Fire house lights are very good and less expensive then lumecube

Reactions: fguthrie
I guess I'm just old and old school as well. Rules apply to everyone, including me. Not to mention I would hate to have my license revoked should something happen. Just be safe.

Welcome to the Forum from Chicago the Windy City.
Check out FAA Drone Zone, it will answer all your questions.

Like anyone who breaks laws in the US (ever speed in your car?), they aren't getting caught. I bet there are bigger fish to fry.
I think that's a pretty good parallel comparison.

We have lots of laws that are violated every day. Speeding. Immigration. Recreational drug use and so many more. What I see in many like situations is that there is the letter of the law, violation of same, gross violation and dangerous violation. While the law often fails to delineate shades of gray would it be more impossible to understand or to enforce? Governmental regulation often is mandated in one-size-fits-all fashion, failing to account in widely varying situational circumstances. Consequently, common sense needs to prevail in a lot of cases, though in too many situations common sense isn't very common. The dude that crashed into a helo is an example of the latter, and most of us avoid gross violation so that we don't find ourselves crossing over into a similar predicament.

I find it amusing that laws are often written, accounting for human behavior and propensity to stretch the rules, so the lawmakers often tighten the actual laws in anticipation of almost automatic violations. Do most highways really need a 55mph speed limit? If you drive 55 out here, not far outside the main city you'll create more of a hazard than keeping up with 70mph traffic that is flowing and actually traveling safely, though almost everyone is in violation. And quite often laws and regulations are handed down, amazingly without government's actual will to enforce those laws.

We all know that if we fly in an open space in straight line out, at a certain point out drones will be within LINE of sight, but beyond our ability to see them due to size. Raise your hand if you've never done that. Is that a violation of the rules? Certainly. Does it constitute a *gross* violation"? Not IMO, if good, responsible judgement is employed and there are no other circumstances that might put somone else or some thing in danger.

Much more to say, but I'll refrain for the time being.

Despite all the comments and speculation (including the one I'm about to make) flying illegally will increasingly be something that shouldn't be done. As the FAA clamps down on more an more on things like Remote ID and the the word "drone" becomes more and more evil to the normal population, you're going to start seeing more and more FAA enforcement. An example was given earlier in this thread and here is another one from July 2020. It's worth a watch with some very good examples of how you may get caught.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe