DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you browse the NFZ map stored on the drone?

KiterTodd

Reactions
@Robbyg (or others), how can one review the NFZ database that is in the Mavic?

As we've noted in other threads, the downloaded database contains errors and the zones differ from "DJI GO 4's" No-Fly Zone map and the FAA's B4UFly App.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I did see that you posted a nationwide picture of all NFZs but I wasn't able to dive in and scroll around.

The reason, as you can probably guess, is that I want to know if there are any false NFZ issues in the areas I fly before moving on from .400 firmware. Additionally, it would be nice to research this before travel so you can take appropriate actions if you are planning on flying in a legal area and find out you'll be grounded.

Thank you! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Grimbart55
There is a copy of the Geo maps on DJIs site.

Appreciate the responses, but I don't think that's the right map.
That map shows some yellow areas that my drone reports as NFZ. That map is the same one in the App that I referred to in the OP.
So, my drone must be looking at a different map with errors in it. ?

(this is all related to the "since the .550 expanded NFZ lockdown, people are getting grounded in non-NFZ areas.")

I'll see if @Robbyg has an answer. Unless I misunderstood, he seemed to infer that the map in the drone was a different database.

I have no idea if the Map on their website is exactly the same as the one in the Mavic. Since I stayed on .400 I have not really had a need to research it. The Map I posted in the other thread is the map that is stored inside the App and duplicated inside the drones firmware.

What state do you want a map of. I could post the JPEG of one state and it should be enough detail for you to compare it with the map on their website.

I am traveling very early in the morning so PM me and remind me to look at it tomorrow.

Rob

Go to the the screen with the video output from the drone with the map in the bottom right corner. Tap on the map to make it the main screen. On an iPad, pinching reduces the magnification. Pinch until the NFZ's show up. Move the map to the area you are proposing to fly at.

@BossBob - the app map (and the method you describe) does NOT show an NFZ. Thus, based on comments I read on the forum, I thought the NFZ notices I get are due to a different map on the drone vs. what is shown on any other map.

The area in question was an authorization zone. (yellow) Legal to fly after giving notice and checking the boxes if you get that pop up on the controller.

So, are other people getting NFZ groundings because of a bug in 550 and later, or is it because the map the drone uses is incorrect? Meaning...the drone doesn't have a bug, it's just looking at bad data.

@Robbyg - PM sent.

So, what is shown when I do as I suggested. Red zones above Bristol Lulsgate Airport and Bristol Horfield Jail would be NFZ and the other classes of air space around them.
There is much better information on notaminfo.com even giving details of balloon release and air displays.

@BossBob - the app map (and the method you describe) does NOT show an NFZ. Thus, based on comments I read on the forum, I thought the NFZ notices I get are due to a different map on the drone vs. what is shown on any other map.

The area in question was an authorization zone. (yellow) Legal to fly after giving notice and checking the boxes if you get that pop up on the controller.

So, are other people getting NFZ groundings because of a bug in 550 and later, or is it because the map the drone uses is incorrect? Meaning...the drone doesn't have a bug, it's just looking at bad data.

@Robbyg - PM sent.
You ask a couple of good questions and raise several more. I honestly don't know what "map" the Mavic sees as I am sure it is a database of coordinates, probably a digital representation of the Geo maps published by DJI, although I am not sure.

The following story illustrates the complexity involved here.

I was forced to land on the beach, just a few seconds before launching out over the Gulf of Mexico. This was in a YELLOW authorization zone after I had successfully authorized, (obviously because I was hovering at the time of the forced landing).

Upon later research, I was indeed in a yellow zone according to the Geo map, but not according to Airmap, nor the published procedures for determining NFZs according to FAAs own directions, nor according to their recently published maps to determine airspace authorizations. I was not within B,C,D, or E airspace nor within 5 miles of any airport.
When I look closely at their (DJI Geo) zones, I notice a hugely more conservative interpretation of what is "legal" and what is not, and this might be a big part of the problem.

So, did the problem occur because the internal "map" was incorrect/inaccurate (which it technically is, but the Mavic probably read it correctly based on the data) and then the firmware, erred by grounding me, after a properly executed authorization? I do not know.

Then, during the same trip, in another location, the Mavic erroneously warned me (when compared to their own Geo map) that I was in a class C airspace, but let me authorize and fly without incident. Again, I was NEAR, and below the shelf of the airspace by several hundred feet. Keep in mind that their Geo map shows me completely in the clear by miles, as it should have for recreational flying.

Admittedly this is a highly complex area with a pancake of zones, many of them higher than surface, but I'm not letting them off that easy. The mere fact that they reserve the right to ground me at all, but then based on erroneous info, just rubs me the wrong way. They need to get this stuff straightened out or simply leave us alone.

Lastly, this raises concerns for me that it can eventually be used as a method to force updates, even though many have stated that, as of now, you can unlock even with old firmware. But the one way I ensure that old firmware is not recognized on my system is to not connect my device to the net. Can't hardly get away with that if you need to connect to unlock and get off the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: KiterTodd
@Robert Mitchell , well said. That is very similar to what I experienced, although my zone was not complex.

For 2-3 days it let me fly with a single text message confirmation. Then all of a sudden, it was declared NFZ and I was grounded. I don't think they should be grounding us at all, frankly. If it truly worked in red zones...fine...but it clearly does not.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redulus