DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does WiFi only effect the experience?

CaseyKC

Reactions
On the fence, and a little worried about no Occusync, which I don't completely understand, but know is good :D

How exactly will the flying experience differ compared to the Mavic Pro because of the connection type?

Reactions: drptlecter
I suppose they had to leave the Mavic pro some advantages, seems they have almost killed sales of the Mavic pro with the air.

I have both the spark and Mavic and I can tell you that video transimission is too laggy on the spark. If I fly in open area it’s ok but if you’re trying to get shots in the city then forget it. Not sure how their new WiFi antenna compares to the garbage in spark. But I’m disappointed this is another WiFi drone.

Reactions: drptlecter
Yeah, that is a little worrying for me as I usually fly in pretty populated areas.

Yeah, that is a little worrying for me as I usually fly in pretty populated areas.

Yep I’m from Chicago and sometimes I stop my drone and in the video it’s still going. Can’t imagine going sport mode at 40mph with this type of lag.

But maybe they fixed the WiFi lag so I’m curious to see reviews before I make a decision.

Maybe wifi is part of the reason all the marketing videos are shot in BFE - because Wifi control is dodgy anywhere in the world where there’s electricity.
Wouldn't surprise me if, thanks to more and more FCC and FAA regulations, drones are being forced to get better and better at being worse.

The WIFI is a concern of mine, though I did place an order.

Reactions: tegrevboy
The WIFI is a concern of mine, though I did place an order.

Same. None of the reviews have addressed this aspect other than just speculating that there would be a detriment. However, I'm hoping that DJI has improved the overall capability of their wifi connection such that it is as good or approaching Occusync/Lightbridge

It's interesting the Air ships with an assortment of official OTG cables. Do any Spark users experience lag WITH the use of cables. I'll be flying around NYC and Hong Kong so I'm not sure I could possibly live in worse cities with regard to WiFi interference.

The "official" word on that by the DJI reps on RCG was that they still simply can't pack the Ocusync hardware and it's huge power draw/heat dissipation in that small a package, but that the Wifi was vastly improved from spark.

The "official" word on that by the DJI reps on RCG was that they still simply can't pack the Ocusync hardware and it's huge power draw/heat dissipation in that small a package, but that the Wifi was vastly improved from spark.

New to flying..... what’s the actual difference between WiFi and what the MP uses?

but that the Wifi was vastly improved from spark.

I have no reason to believe that. Wireless Fidelity is wireless fidelity and the limited range and susceptibility to interference from hundreds of such signals in close proximity will not likely lend itself to much if any "improvement."

IMO, the difference between Radio Frequency Control (RC) and Wireless Fidelity (Wifi) is much like the difference between an effective means of remotely controlling an aircraft and a toy.

Not to imply there is anything wrong with toys.

Reactions: Wenjie64
I have no reason to believe that. Wireless Fidelity is wireless fidelity
Precisely not the case, they are "misusing" the WiFi hardware to operate without the WiFi stack and modulation to get better results.

Already the case on the spark since it would be even worse otherwise.

I'd be worried flying WiFi in populated areas. The noise coming from every building having some kind of WiFi can be a problem and result in signal degradation, and in the worst case scenario flyaways. Also the WiFi lag means that you cant be as precise in control and video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky