DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How far should I fly?

I think it depends a lot on the area also. I tend to worry about power lines if you don't know the area real well ,you can not see them. In the city I worry about people that get annoyed from the sound

Yeh, its funny that one. 120m is the lowest I would ever fly my drone, let alone 30m
The only time people see, hear my drone is when it's taking off and that is just
enough not to piss people off flying from various locales.

Even at 500m, (I heard) People can still hear the buzz, if your hovering.
for me to hover 30m away from someone, the scene better be Academy award winning.

Long Story short, FAA 107 aside, You know when your being an *** with your drone.
You get this feeling, guilt or something similar, and you just know not to do it.

Obviously this feeling varies between people, but you have to be true to yourself.

Remember that episode of South Park where there are like a 10000 NSA guys at desks just monitoring random tweets.
Worker: "Some guy has a crush on so and so",
Boss: "OK Stay on it"

Well, Depending on your age and 'Reality', That is the FAA exactly, so just be careful.

"We have a Jet skier Airborne again sir....

Reactions: Jet skier
It's not about flying "against the law"; it's about flying the distinction between the "letter of the law" and the "intent of the law". And I'm old and wise enough knowing by virtue of personal experience that, in the end, it's going to be by the "letter of the law" that one is judged in court when something goes wrong that brings in those charged with law enforcement.

Reactions: BigAl07
[/QUOTE]
Bad analogy. Driving over the speed limit has about zero chance of bringing the hammer down on public driving opportunities. Breaking drone laws is quite different. Most non-pilots would probably prefer we all be legislated out of existence. Breaking the laws gives them and the Government reasons to do exactly that in incremental steps that we are already seeing. So no, breaking drone laws is NOT the same as driving 75 in a 70 zone. Not even close.

Non Flyers (A Pilot flys a Plane). Could give a toss about drone laws.
Just stop and think about it, before you had a drone how time did you devote to giving
a frik about them.
In my entire Adult life, I have seen 2 drones.
And both were on Boxing day thereabouts being used to the MAx, because someone had likely just got them for Xmas. And I only cared the second time because I had one and I could see he had a platinum.

Nobody but the FAA107 Self Hating Drone Police Cares about this stuff.
They are so worried about being labelled, that they divide there fellow flyers into the 'Good' and 'Bad Ones'. Most of these guys are Pilots who fly planes, and fly drones aswell, so they are
terrified of having a drone infringement affect the Pilot's licence.

I can accept that THey worry and act accordingly but they shouldn't stop nodding to other Flyers along the way.
Forgive me dirk, my plane is delayed so this may be coming
out ranty. No way to b sure

edit"Peace to everyone having fun flying drones

edit 2: These last 2 posts kind of contradict. lets just say i assume people are aware of my drone when i fly
so i fly accordingly not to annoy them.
But as stated im sure they could give a frek.
Worst case scenario they enjoy someone having fun or take
an interest, ask some sincerely interested questions

Where is this goshdarn plane!!!

Last edited:
I I haven’t had so much fun with this thing since I was a kid

Reactions: Bobby for a Day!
Part 107 clearly states the RPIC or visual observer must have visual contact with the aircraft during the flight.

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
(2) A visual observer.

§ 107.33 Visual observer.
If a visual observer is used during the aircraft operation, all of the following requirements must be met:
(a) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must maintain effective communication with each other at all times.
(b) The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in § 107.31.
(c) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must coordinate to do the following:
(1) Scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and
(2) Maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation.

You've missed one key point in your very own quote above....
§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to.......

The key point is noted in red and enlarged and that one seemingly insignificant word was further enlarged for clarity.... it does not say OR.... it says AND followed by "Be Able to See the Aircraft Throughout the Entire Flight".

The VO is there to temporarily take over VLOS duty so the RPIC (or person manipulating the controls) can take eyes off of the aircraft briefly in order to check other equipment/telemetry. This merely allows the RPIC to look away from the aircraft but the RPIC must be able to look up and see the aircraft again. Without a waiver for VLOS the VO is not extending the RPIC's VLOS options at all.

This regulation isn't written to trick anyone or anything but it's a complicated process with lots of What Ifs etc that creates a complex wording.

However, it goes on to say:

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
(2) A visual observer.

So EITHER the pilot OR the VO

It reads like a government regulation written by a committee that has no experience.

Reactions: Former Member
However, it goes on to say:

(2) A visual observer.

So EITHER the pilot OR the VO

You can pick and chose which words to include all you want but it clearly states the RPIC MUST BE ABLE TO SEE it the entire flight. PERIOD!

If the RPIC looks down at the viewing device then the VO is carrying on VLOS but the RPIC must still be able to look up and see the aircraft. You can debate it all you want but you're wrong. Don't trust me... I'm just a random guy on the internet... contact your FSDO and pose the question to them.... I know what the answer will be in fact I can copy & paste it to you if you'd like.

Ok, you used caps lock more than me. You win.

I used caps lock for emphasis.

I win because I cited and quoted the full regulation not just the portion I "hope" is correct. You have to take the whole thing to understand and be able to fly legally.

Pretty clearly states that the conditions in (a) must be exercised by either RPIC or VO. It’s got nothing to do with “hoping” it’s correct.

Pretty clearly states that the conditions in (a) must be exercised by either RPIC or VO. It’s got nothing to do with “hoping” it’s correct.

Contact your FSDO ( I suggest in writing) and get the official word from the horse's mouth. Anything else doesn't matter.

I could save you the trouble and Copy & Paste it but I don't think you'd believe that either.

I fly as far as the DJI go 4 let's me. It will let me know of any problems encountered. Let's be real if there was a catastrophic failure 1000 ft VLOS or 30000 ft it is the same, it's going down and nothing is stopping it. The only concern I have is other manned aircraft, but if I stay at 300ft and encounter them they are 200 ft under their threshold and that could happen at 100ft.

Tell that to the Hot Air Balloon pilots on the front range here in Colorado and see how well that goes for you.

I used caps lock for emphasis.

I win because I cited and quoted the full regulation not just the portion I "hope" is correct. You have to take the whole thing to understand and be able to fly legally.
LOL! May I add that it appears that a VO is of NO USE to a 336 pilot, so this talk about observers has NO bearing for hobby pilots.......

From the FAA 336 guidelines;

By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.” P.L. 112-95, section 336(c)(2). 1 Based on the plain language of the statute, the FAA interprets this requirement to mean that: (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight. Under the criteria above, visual line of sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft. To ensure that the operator has the best view of the aircraft, the statutory requirement would preclude the use of vision-enhancing devices, such as binoculars, night vision goggles, powered vision magnifying devices, and goggles designed to provide a “first-person view” from the model. 2 Such devices would limit the operator’s field of view thereby 1 For purposes of the visual line of sight requirement, “operator” means the person manipulating the model aircraft’s controls. 2 The FAA is aware that at least one community-based organization permits “first person view” (FPV) operations during which the hobbyist controls the aircraft while wearing goggles that display images transmitted from a camera mounted in the front of the model aircraft. While the intent of FPV is to provide 9 reducing his or her ability to see-and-avoid other aircraft in the area. Additionally, some of these devices could dramatically increase the distance at which an operator could see the aircraft, rendering the statutory visual-line-of-sight requirements meaningless. Finally, based on the plain language of the statute, which says that aircraft must be “flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft,” an operator could not rely on another person to satisfy the visual line of sight requirement. See id. (emphasis added). While the statute would not preclude using an observer to augment the safety of the operation, the operator must be able to view the aircraft at all times

Reactions: BigAl07
Non Flyers (A Pilot flys a Plane).
[/QUOTE]
a pilot operates the controls of an aircraft. I consider myself a pilot whether im at the controls of an F111, a C130, a Beachcraft Barron or a mavic.

Reactions: tleedom
Non Flyers (A Pilot flys a Plane).
a pilot operates the controls of an aircraft. I consider myself a pilot whether im at the controls of an F111, a C130, a Beachcraft Barron or a mavic.
[/QUOTE]

I disagree
Edit: What I mean to say is. I agree absolutely YOU are a Pilot.
But if you dont have your Pilot's licence your a Flyer.

Last edited:
[I disagree
Edit: What I mean to say is. I agree absolutely YOU are a Pilot.
But if you dont have your Pilot's licence your a Flyer.
[/QUOTE]

Yes;
But still a flyer of a registered Aircraft flying in the National Airspace System.

this may explode the thread, but why is nobody talking about FPV racing drone freestyle footage.
This is the big thing that comes up at CASA and other meetings. In Australia this happens by the event, and certain training areas getting approvals to operate, as long as certain safety guidelines are met. But, in theory, you could not go down to your local part and partake. It’s not a grey area, but certainly not quite fully controlled in practice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas