DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How large have you printed Mavic still photos?

i just tested the birds eye view pano in litchi and yes she will start a pano where ever u point the camera, dji does not, it actually levels the horizon first then starts, litchi doesnt, it starts where u start it
Hey, thanks for testing the bird's eye pano feature! This will be a huge feature for me. Did it also bracket each image in the pano? Looks like I'm going to have to spend the $$$ to get it.

Hey, thanks for testing the bird's eye pano feature! This will be a huge feature for me. Did it also bracket each image in the pano? Looks like I'm going to have to spend the $$$ to get it.
i didnt bracket them but they can for sure, ive never tried a birds eye view, its kinda weird, i tried it in portait mode and doesnt look right, i will try it again tomorow in landscape to see if it looks different,

i cant comment on litchi for ios, i use android and i prefer it over dji, it may not work as good on ios devices i am not sure

Litchi is just as good (if not even better) on iOs devices as it is on Android.

here is an example of a birds eye small pano, i will experiment with rows and such in litchi and see how things go PANO0001-5-Pano.jpg

I have printed 13x19s with my canon photo printer and they look great.

I never printed any of my drone pictures, but you could make some supperresolution pictures if you wanted to print a particular scene at a very large size.

This is an excellent article.
One problem using a Mavic Pro for this, as I see it, (and I could be wrong), is the rock solid gimbal. In the tutorial the author states that slight camera movement due to shaking of the hand is what gives you the extra pixels needed to combine. I'm not sure but maybe sport mode would be the answer to that because the camera would have the slight movement needed. As I said I could be wrong.

Litchi also has been known to have big discounts at times! I have both the Android and IOS versions and they work really well!

3F20C496-FD90-4AA8-B75A-9C53C814CCA1.jpeg 3F20C496-FD90-4AA8-B75A-9C53C814CCA1.jpeg
My main reason for purchasing my Mavic was for still photography. I knew when I purchased it the camera was limited to 12 megapixels. My DSLR is 26mp, so printing large prints (16" x 20") is no problem; the image holds together quite well.

But I'm wondering if anyone has printed larger images from Mavic photos. How big have you printed? At what size does the image start to fall apart?

Thanks!

I just had a 30x48 inch canvas printed for my house. Looks great

This comes direct from a BBC video/photographic technician "the major camera manufacturers are in a pointless megapixel war" . He went on to explain that in the early days of the DSLR an increase from 2 to 2.5 megapixels made a real difference and was worth shouting about. He went on to explain that after 10 megapixels an image can be blown up to virtually any size with no disenable difference in quality. Any improvement in the succession of cameras produced, comes from the improvement's in lens's and what goes on in the camera. However upping the megapixels is much more sexy to talk about and easier to explain than all the boring changes and tech'y stuff inside the camera. If you are producing a print the size of a road side bill board an increase in megapixels will produce a better image, but it could only be spotted with an expert eye. So it would appear that a 12 megapixel print from the Mavic Air can put up with being blown up to any size you intend.

Reactions: tictag
My main reason for purchasing my Mavic was for still photography. I knew when I purchased it the camera was limited to 12 megapixels. My DSLR is 26mp, so printing large prints (16" x 20") is no problem; the image holds together quite well.

But I'm wondering if anyone has printed larger images from Mavic photos. How big have you printed? At what size does the image start to fall apart?

Thanks!

Depends on the printer.
Magazines print at 300 dpi but you could probably get away with as low as 100 dpi on a very good inkjet printer.
The Mavic shoots a RAW image at 13” X 10” @ 300 dpi.
reduce the dpi to 40” X 30” @ 100 dpi & you might be fine. That's a poster.
Or 20" X 15" @ 200 dpi would give you better quality.
You would have to test it.

This comes direct from a BBC video/photographic technician "the major camera manufacturers are in a pointless megapixel war" . He went on to explain that in the early days of the DSLR an increase from 2 to 2.5 megapixels made a real difference and was worth shouting about. He went on to explain that after 10 megapixels an image can be blown up to virtually any size with no disenable difference in quality. Any improvement in the succession of cameras produced, comes from the improvement's in lens's and what goes on in the camera. However upping the megapixels is much more sexy to talk about and easier to explain than all the boring changes and tech'y stuff inside the camera. If you are producing a print the size of a road side bill board an increase in megapixels will produce a better image, but it could only be spotted with an expert eye. So it would appear that a 12 megapixel print from the Mavic Air can put up with being blown up to any size you intend.
Very informative! In marketing, it does seem numbers often become the gauge for quality, when often times that isn't the case, as you suggest. That being said, I do notice a difference (at least in video footage) between a Mavic's video and a Phantom 4 Pro's video. Is that largely due to the megapixels (20 vs 12), or are other things in play too that contribute to the better quality? Wouldn't that then translate into better stills between the two?

Reactions: alanren
Proof_inn-cropped-15x9_166_PL_9x15_BN_CY_DY_PY_x4.jpg Proof_town_15X9_166_PL_9x15_BN_CY_DY_IC_PY_x4.jpg

I sold a dozen ,15X9 of these images. I use a lab called PhotoArt Imaging in Colorado for custom prints.
I could probably print a little larger, but this size has sharp images. I send 166 dpi files.

Lenox, Ma.

Last edited:
For good stuff, I'm with Leo, have it printed by a lab. Millers, White House Custom Color, people I have used for years.

Human perception of image quality (in regards to detail) is indeed proportional to resolution up to a point, as mentioned above, but is far more sensitive to viewing distance. I watched something on this recently where a massive some 60' by 20' banner was printed at varying resolutions ... at a typical viewing distance there was no perceivable difference between an image shot at 30 megapixels and one shot at just 6 - bigger does not always have to mean more pixels.

And image quality isn't always about detail - chromatic aberration, lens distortion, tonal and colour graduation, detail in highlights and shadows, moire etc all play their part in the perception of quality.

This is an excellent article.
One problem using a Mavic Pro for this, as I see it, (and I could be wrong), is the rock solid gimbal. In the tutorial the author states that slight camera movement due to shaking of the hand is what gives you the extra pixels needed to combine. I'm not sure but maybe sport mode would be the answer to that because the camera would have the slight movement needed. As I said I could be wrong.

You only need a few pixels drift between the pictures for this to work. Each picture can be 1 second or more apart. Try taking a (night) picture with an exposure of 1 second. You will see motion blur. This means even with the gimbal and drone stabilisation there is enough movement to make a supperresolution picture.

Very informative! In marketing, it does seem numbers often become the gauge for quality, when often times that isn't the case, as you suggest. That being said, I do notice a difference (at least in video footage) between a Mavic's video and a Phantom 4 Pro's video. Is that largely due to the megapixels (20 vs 12), or are other things in play too that contribute to the better quality? Wouldn't that then translate into better stills between the two?

sensor:
4K is just under 9 megapixel. The extra pixels are usually not just thrown away, with special sampling and processing the extra pixels can be used to provide some improvement, but it's not magic. The end result is still a 9 megapixel 4K video.

Besides this there is the size of the sensor (related to pixel density and pixel size). The mavic has a 2/3" size sensor and the phantom has a 1" sensor. Bigger pixels make it easier to collect light. The Phantom sensor is 2.25x bigger, but only has 1.66x more pixels. That means is not only has more pixel, which is nice for pictures, but has only a small impact on video quality, but each pixel is also 33% bigger.

processing:
Unlike pictures that allow RAW, a RAW video would require massive storage and memory write speeds. Both Mavic and Phantom videos are processed before storage. The phantom 4 Pro records at 100Mbps (like the Mavic Air). The Mavic Pro (Platinum) records at 60Mbps. The higher bitrate means more information (more details) can be kept. If you take a DJI ZENMUSE X5R or better you can record RAW 4K video (up to 300Mbps bitrate)

lens:
Any camera(sensor) is only as good as the lens in front (and the person behind). The lens will collect the light and illuminate the sensor. A very eli5 is: The mavic has a tiny lens compared to the phantom. A smaller means less light and bigger impact of imperfections.

Reactions: floyd

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803