DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long fully charged batteries remains "fully charged"?

lomposlapos

Reactions
If I charge a battery in full, what is a good approximation, for how many days it remains practically fully charged?
Anyone knows an actual self-discharge plot for M2P battery?
(Flying in places with no electricity.)

If I charge a battery in full, what is a good approximation, for how many days it remains practically fully charged?
Anyone knows an actual self-discharge plot for M2P battery?
(Flying in places with no electricity.)
After 10 days, they start discharge. This is the default for the M2 Battery with no use after charging.

if you turn the battery on for a few seconds and then off again this will reset the ten day discharge cycle to start again, the problem is that storing batteries full for long periods is going to cause damage to the cells and shorten the life of the battery not something you should really be doing

Reactions: Thomas B
I agree with OMM. If I charge any of my lipos, I use them as soon as possible, preferably the same day.
It weather interferes with my plans, I will dis-charge my batteries within a day or so.
One of the easiest ways to shorten the life of your lipos is to leave them fully charged. Or dis-charged to very low levels for that matter. I try to keep my lipos in the 50% charged range when not being used.

There's a setting in DJI Go, I think the max is 10 days before they auto discharge.

There's a setting in DJI Go, I think the max is 10 days before they auto discharge.
Don’t believe it is configurable anymore. Default is 10 days to begin auto discharge although you may see a 1-2% drop from 100% charge in 2-4 days if you leave your batteries fully charged.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Not for the M2P anymore ... 10 is the only way to go.
What I don't understand is that checking the status of the battery by pushing the button, resets the counter as @old man mavic pointed out. You could literally really damage the cells with checking every 9th day easily then - not very likely but I mean, 10 days is a long time to remember extempore.

Better charge to storage % and the rest shortly before you are sure to fly. ;)

Last edited:
What I don't understand is that checking the status of the battery by pushing the button, it resets the counter as @old man mavic pointed out.
He did not say that, he said turning them on completely. On the Mavic 1 just pressing the button to check level would reset, but on the M2 it won't, need to fully turn on for that.

He did not say that, he said turning them on completely. On the Mavic 1 just pressing the button to check level would reset, but on the M2 it won't, need to fully turn on for that.
Really, not tried it out myself but as what I read and heard, the behaviour is unchanged to your Mavic 1. Simple push resets the counter ...

i believe i did hear that somewhere,dont forget the batts for the mavic2 are different,and perhaps the fact that you only have the one 10 day setting before discharge,meant that the battery had to be turned on fully to reset the 10 day setting, i agree that on my MPP as stated a battery level check will reset the counter, perhaps someone with a mavic2 could confirm or deny this

My understanding is that if I push the battery button on my M2 batteries to check the level that it restarts the 10 day countdown to autodischarge.

I only check mine if I am getting ready to fly in the next 24 hours so I can be sure all batteries that need it are placed on my charger.... (maybe I should number them.)

One exception might be if they had been stored a month or more and I wanted to make sure the M2 batteries are at 40-60% charge. Honestly this last scenario has only happened to me once... I usually fly 3-4x/week.

I agree with OMM. If I charge any of my lipos, I use them as soon as possible, preferably the same day.
It weather interferes with my plans, I will dis-charge my batteries within a day or so.
One of the easiest ways to shorten the life of your lipos is to leave them fully charged. Or dis-charged to very low levels for that matter. I try to keep my lipos in the 50% charged range when not being used.
How do you discharge. Without using them

Reactions: old man mavic
i made myself a simple discharger using a 55watt 12 volt fog light bulb the ones with a single heavy duty filament i use the connector from the car charger that came with my MPP as i do not charge my batts in my car,i made up a fixing to hold the bulb be careful it gets very hot when on and also fitted a on off switch to the live wire all you have to do then, is turn on the battery flip the switch and watch as the battery discharges, the current draw is pretty much in line with what the mav draws and the battery gets slightly warm during the process, with the addition of other types of connectors i am able to discharge my 3c lipos and before i sold it my phantom 3 ones as well

Reactions: BigAl07
Good thing is the DJI USB adapter. You can hook on 2 devices to the ports ... I have 4 batteries and sometimes I can only fly 2 or 3. The rest is fastly used with re-charging USB devices like phones, tablets, gadgets at home.

You could also connect a USB lamp to it to quickly come down the storage %.

There are specific dischargers too, but they are comparably bigger and there's so far no need to waste that energy in the cells, if I can use it with other devices. ;)

Reactions: Drone Master
Good thing is the DJI USB adapter. You can hook on 2 devices to the ports ... I have 4 batteries and sometimes I can only fly 2 or 3. The rest is fastly used with re-charging USB devices like phones, tablets, gadgets at home.

You could also connect a USB lamp to it to quickly come down the storage %.

There are specific dischargers too, but they are comparably bigger and there's so far no need to waste that energy in the cells, if I can use it with other devices. ;)
I personally have a USB Digital Fan that I use to bring my batteries down to storage levels. Takes about an hour to discharge to 50%.
Plus I get a cool breeze with the time as a benefit!:p

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78