DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How much weight can the Mavic Carry?

tml4191

Reactions
The newer phantoms can carry about 2lbs, so how about the new Mavic? Can this hold some external batteries to further that 27min flight time? I have yet to get a Mavic, but its weight carrying capabilities is something I am interested in. Has anyone tested its maximum weight?

Last edited:
The phantoms are rated at about 2lbs, so how about the new Mavic? Can this hold some external batteries to further that 27min flight time? I have yet to get a Mavic, but its weight carrying capabilities is something I am interested in. Has anyone tested its maximum weight?
It weighs roughly half as much as a P4, and is optimized for that weight. I doubt it will be capable of handling the additional weight of external batteries, although I hope I am wrong. The P4 handles 500g of externals. Perhaps the Mavic can handle 250g? The max of 27 minutes will be more like 20 minutes under normal use. It definitely needs a battery mod to reach 25-27 minutes of normal use.

Reactions: SteveCA
Not much of a place to put any kind of a payload.
You could piggyback it on top of the battery, but it would then be top heavy! :eek:
Anything underneath would interfere with the sensors and cameras and folding arms.

I could see maybe a strap over the battery and around leading to a hook below on the strap itself. Might be a way to hook that Halloween bat or ghost and fly it around.. ;-)

Reactions: Kamelredman
Just to address the terminology used here, I don't believe the Mavic is "rated" to carry anything additional.

I could see maybe a strap over the battery and around leading to a hook below on the strap itself. Might be a way to hook that Halloween bat or ghost and fly it around.. ;-)
Anything hanging underneath would interfere with the sensors and the bottom facing cameras. It's a no go....

Maybe a pencil or a few paper clips or a few aspirin , yknow things only McGuyver could use. Uh, not the new young corny one but the old nerdy cool one. That is all[emoji17]

Sent from [emoji211]

This is great info and thanks for the links everyone. Those stress testing videos were actually quite interesting to watch! I'm in the process of trying to determine whether I can make the Mavic work as a good tool for my dual purpose scenario. Unfortunately one of those purposes/requirements is the need to carry a payload of 0.6lb/260g. Currently I'm using the Inspire 1 and have designed a custom mount for that payload there which isn't a problem. Unfortunately the Inspire is too cumbersome to be used the way I'd like to. I understand the need to stay away from the guidance systems and that this is way out of spec. Though I think I can design a mount on the aft that would work (the centre of mass on the Mavic seems to be ever so slightly forward from what I remember when holding it, which may make this more feasible) if I could determine how well the Mavic handles an extra 1lb payload. One of the tests in the video had it towing a bottle partially filled with water, but I don't know what the weight was or how the Mavic really performed with that. So if anyone is doing any tests whatsoever with extra payloads (especially around the 1lb mark), I would absolutely love to hear about. I hope no one is stressing their Mavics or doing any damage to them, but it would be great to hear stories from anyone that's already comfortably doing this. Take care all.

note: corrected my post with the correct weight requirements my feeble brain couldn't remember

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the videos posted above are extreme tests, I would be very hesitant to put the Mavic through those paces on any kind of regular basis and expect it to last.

Indeed. Certainly extreme and pushing the limits of breaking them on nearly all those different tests. Or actually breaking them in some cases ;) On such a small drone, the "margins" are much smaller and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either. Though at the same time, I'd still be curious to hear about others experiences who have a desire/need to push things to find where these limits lie. The water bottle above: I would assume was carrying somewhere between 1 to 1.3lbs judging by average water bottle sizes. Carrying it way off centre and swinging around undamped. Which looked like it would struggle with handling and power (though still surprising). That would be a little too close to limits of stressing the Mavic for me most likely if my assumptions are correct by just looking at a video clip. Hopefully someone has more to say specifically.

Weight distribution is everything, it could carry more weight if it were organized right u can tell by watching those vids.
The way that long range set up has the batts strapped to the sides looks great. U may be able put more at the rear back plate. Then lastly on top of the battery. After that im not sure unless u made a custom bracket maybe simular to prop guard kit design but to put payload under the motors/prop area instead of under the sensor panel on bottomside of mavic.. carry an even weight at each corner

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS