DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often should you format micro SD card

DBT_Drone

Reactions
As the title says......how often should you format the sd card? After every flight and upload to PC? When it gets full??? Thanks!

I just drag and drop the files to my iMac desktop file and then transfer the files on the card to the trash and empty same. That erases the pics/vids on the card. Then I put the card back in my M2P. I have never reformatted any of my cards in the last 2 years.

Once formatted, a drive doesn't ever need to be formatted again unless it malfunctions, in which case you should replace it anyway.

That being said, it is a nice quick way to remove everything from the drive and reset the filename increment to zero.

I never format mine. Just move the files off when I need to make more room.

I just drag the files to my storage disk and delete them from the SD card.

Reactions: Thomas B
saw a few people saying they format often and thought it might be something DJI recommends for some reason
I've never seen them recommend such a thing. And if they are recommending it somewhere, they should stop ;)

I've never seen them recommend such a thing. And if they are recommending it somewhere, they should stop ;)
Never have I but been doing it since I started flying.
I dump my daily trips if I go into a folder and then reformat my card when I go out again in the app and have Never had an issue. To say they should stop is wrong. Sorry ?‍♂️

This guy recommends reformatting after every shoot, using the camera to do it (not the computer). Which is what I do. 40 years in IT speaking.

Guys everyone has their way I have mine and it works for me .Thomas has his way as Mike. As someone posted there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Do what works for you.

You should format the card in the camera after every offload. Whenever data is written to the card that data is logged to a “ledger” of sorts. Even when you erase the files the ledger doesn’t get cleared and gets longer and longer. The longer this ledger is the more likely it will get corrupted and mess up the drive not to mention the ledger takes up space.

Also, sometimes if you just erase a file it will get removed from the ledger but doesn’t actually get removed from the drive in which case there’s no way to see it and the drive doesn’t even know it’s there but it will continue to take up space.

I know lots of people say they never format and have never had a problem but just because they think they don’t have a problem doesn’t mean they don’t and it doesn’t mean you won’t. Formatting is easy to do and often faster than manually deleting files anyway. I haven’t heard anyone make the argument formatting often is bad for the drive so why not just do it?

I haven’t heard anyone make the argument formatting often is bad for the drive so why not just do it?
I guess the same could be said for the people here who have never reformatted?

But, sure, people should do what they feel is best for their workflow.

This guy recommends reformatting after every shoot
He doesn't offer a great explanation as to why though. His reasoning is that "It keeps things cleaner on the card".

Reactions: Thomas B
I’m saying there’s no downside to formatting. I’m not quite sure what you saying here?
I'm saying the downside is it takes extra time to format. And if formatting doesn't make a noticeable difference, I'd prefer not to spend time doing it.

Also, I'm saying you should do whatever you want to do ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv