DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How the FAA know the pilot violate the reguation?

JC_Wang

Reactions
For instance, the Mavic mini can fly up to 450 feet (or even higher) that violate regualtion of 400 feet in the US. Just curious how the FAA know the pilot violate the regulation when the pilot operates the small UAS fly up to 450 feet?

They wouldn't unless you had a incident and they looked at your flight logs.
Might be another way but i don't know of it.

For instance, the Mavic mini can fly up to 450 feet (or even higher) that violate regualtion of 400 feet in the US. Just curious how the FAA know the pilot violate the regulation when the pilot operates the small UAS fly up to 450 feet?
Generally they would not. However there are systems used by authorities (and others) that can indeed know the exact location (and altitude) of both the drone and the pilot. DJI Aeroscope is one such system. When a system is in use, it can track all DJI drones in the area.

At the moment it’s just like speeding. I might have a sports car and drive like Steve McQueen, but until I crash or get caught “it never happened”. Of course, vehicles that kill heaps of people will never have mandatory speed tracking... little drones that never kill anyone, on the other hand... well!

They could use Aeroscope as well, since it can show the telemetry of the drone. I'm not sure there are any cases of them using Aeroscope for that kind of enforcement yet though.

It will be interesting to see how enforcement changes after Remote ID goes live, since in theory pilots will be directly transmitting plenty of potentially incriminating info to the FAA with that system.

Reactions: JC_Wang
At the moment it’s just like speeding. I might have a sports car and drive like Steve McQueen, but until I crash or get caught “it never happened”. Of course, vehicles that kill heaps of people will never have mandatory speed tracking... little drones that never kill anyone, on the other hand... well!

I agree with you, and I hope some insurance companies can offer quotes for the pilots operating the small UAS instead of giving unreasonable penalty from FAA.

Reactions: Davros007
Generally they would not. However there are systems used by authorities (and others) that can indeed know the exact location (and altitude) of both the drone and the pilot. DJI Aeroscope is one such system. When a system is in use, it can track all DJI drones in the area.

Or DJI can offer the flight data that violate the regulations to the FAA after the pilots synchronize their flight data to the DJI? I don't know.

Or DJI can offer the flight data that violate the regulations to the FAA after the pilots synchronize their flight data to the DJI? I don't know.
Most companies do not do that sort of thing unless they are presnted with a court order or warrant to do so.

As well as the Aeroscope system mentioned above, recall the collision between the Phantom and Black Hawk in New York, where the FAA retrieved the flight data from the pilot's mobile device.

As well as the Aeroscope system mentioned above, recall the collision between the Phantom and Black Hawk in New York, where the FAA retrieved the flight data from the pilot's mobile device.

The flight data in DJI app can be erased easily. Why the pilot kept the flight data in his (her) mobile device?

There is a very big difference between a vehicle driven by someone and a drone flown remotely but people continue to use vehicles as a comparison.

Yes, vehicle accidents can and do kill people. They are driven by humans sitting inside what feels like a safe environment. Lack of attention, tiredness, lack of skill and poor judgement cause accidents.

Vehicles operate in two-dimensional space.

A UAV on the other hand is flown remotely in three-dimensional space. Unlike a piloted aircraft that requires professional qualifications, considerable training and a great deal of knowledge, almost any idiot can purchase a drone and fly without any formal qualification or training (yes I know things are changing and country specific) and they can fly a potentially lethal vehicle.

The vast majority of people are unfamiliar with three-dimensional space when piloting a remotely controlled vehicle and as a result of existing incidents and people breaking existing regulations, tougher measures must be taken to ensure safety of our common airspace.

We shouldn’t forget our fellow model aircraft pilots who also have had further regulations imposed on them as the aviation airspace regulators try and harmonise the laws and rules for all flying vehicles.

and there was a similar-ish one in Las Vegas as well a few months ago. Pilot pentalty was close to $10k due to how flagrant he was at not following the rules, and also Las Vegas airport was shut down while the drone was removed... Again flight logs were used off the drone / mobile device by the FAA...

Reactions: SkyeHigh and sar104
I am a newbie and was wondering how the MM determines its altitude? I live in a rural area with a ridge directly beside me and many other hills. I flew to the top of the ridge which is about 2,000 ft away but I had to get some height to get above the trees line at the top of the ridge. The controller said I was at 570 ft high which confused me and made me wonder what the reference point was. Can someone explain. . . .

I am a newbie and was wondering how the MM determines its altitude? I live in a rural area with a ridge directly beside me and many other hills. I flew to the top of the ridge which is about 2,000 ft away but I had to get some height to get above the trees line at the top of the ridge. The controller said I was at 570 ft high which confused me and made me wonder what the reference point was. Can someone explain. . . .

The reference point is the elevation of the takeoff point, and the height during the flight is primarily determine by barometric pressure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929