DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to unlock no fly zone in USA Mavic 2 Pro

Skyler King III

Reactions
I needed to shoot in Corona NY, 1.8 miles SSE of LGA. I called LGA Tower Cab and Supervisor "OK'd" the fli,ght. Called NYPD and notified them, no problem there. I was trying to use my Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller. It would not let me even start engines. Eventually I had to hook up to my smartphones' Internet from the Smart Controller. The Smart Controller requested my phone # . I entered by DJI-registered phone #. I received a textr on my smart phone with a code. No explanation how and where to enter the code. I then tried calling DJI. DJI phopne support had no clue. They said I had to email "[email protected]": and that's I'd get a response in 48 hours or so! (WHAT!!!!?!!). I had to leave because I had to resolution. How do I unlock for flight at this location. I want to go back asap.

Since you're in the US, you might get a faster response if you complete the form here.

Reactions: BigAl07
When I went through that process recently there was a popup in the Go 4 app where you enter the code you're texted. You must have missed that at some point.

You should be able to do an self locking on the drone.
I do it all the time. Just make sure what air space you are flying in.and notify the airport before take off

it was asking me for the smart controller serial number. Where's that located. I looked in about and other settings but could not find.
Crystalsky is not the same as a Smart Controller, however my experience might give you a clue as to where you might need to look for a serial number. When I entered what I thought was a SN taken from the label on the back of the device, this was rejected as invalid. Eventually found it in the Crystalsky's 'Settings'. Maybe completely different for you, but a little lateral thinking may help you find what you need.
While I am still experiencing issues with user authentication failure when trying to validate the unlocking license, I have to say DJI were very quick - within about half an hour - returning an 'unlocking license' after I had submitted my request.
Teething problems with DJI's Fly Safe? Maybe. At the moment the process seems to be an exercise in absolute frustration, in part because I feel DJI have gone at implementing the Fly Safe model too hard too fast. I suspect some of this may be attributable to some well publicised events, along with too many less publicised instances of UAV's not been flown responsibly. If there is pressure coming on DJI to implement a global NFZ with a system of individual licenses being granted on an application basis only, I suspect the IAOC may be the body with sufficient international clout to get such a system across all geopolitical boundaries.
Don't like it much myself at present, but it is what it is - and probably will be the only way any of the UAV community will be able to fly in the very near future. "Cowboys" and impromptu misusers will simply not be able to get their bird off the ground. Remember, pretty much all the technology that has given our UAV's the ability to fly, is also very much the same technology that can be used to prevent those same UAV's from flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
An observation...

What about all the other drones manufactured by companies other than DJI? To my knowledge, none of them have even given the concept of a NFZ a second thought? If the government mandated similar functionality to DJI aircraft, most if not all of those other companies would go out of business as I'm guessing few if any have the resources to take on such an endeavor. Perhaps this has crossed the minds of DJI execs as well?

Since DJI already seem to have more than 75% of the prosumer market as well as being in a dominant position in the larger UAV commercial and agri' markets it could well be that anyone else choking in their dust will simply end up as "has beens" and not "wannabes" if they do not make a move to keep up with DJI.
I suggest UAV flight restriction controls - NFZs - call it what you will, is going to be a global reality of the near future. Potentially, non performing manufacturers will be either compelled to comply with updating existing firmware, build it in to new systems, or fall by the wayside.

Last edited:
Reactions: crlmjohnson
This is something I really miss about my old 3DR Iris+ that ran on open source. No NFZs or any such thing. Up to the pilot to understand the rules and fly safely. But as good as their gear was it is nothing like the DJI stuff in terms of integration and functionality so it is no wonder they are gone from the market. I haven't tried Yuneeq or BeBop and such to evaluate their gear but hard to see how it could be better than the DJI stuff. Maybe cheaper?

The way things are headed towards hard NFZs and automated enforcement and such will be safer overall with so many people with various backgrounds and levels of responsibility coming into the hobby. As irritating and seemingly wrongheaded as some of the rules can be (see also forced river landing) this may keep us from being regulated out of a hobby.

Ha ha! I suspect there were more than a few people who probably looked on Richard Pearse and the Wright brother's "hobby" as being dangerous and something that should be stopped by the authorities - before anyone got hurt.
;)Thumbswayup:cool:

Reactions: kilomikebravo
That is one reason why I kept two of my 3dr solo drones. I use my mp2 and my 3dr solo whenever i am on a job assignment.

Crystalsky is not the same as a Smart Controller, however my experience might give you a clue as to where you might need to look for a serial number. When I entered what I thought was a SN taken from the label on the back of the device, this was rejected as invalid. Eventually found it in the Crystalsky's 'Settings'. Maybe completely different for you, but a little lateral thinking may help you find what you need.
While I am still experiencing issues with user authentication failure when trying to validate the unlocking license, I have to say DJI were very quick - within about half an hour - returning an 'unlocking license' after I had submitted my request.
Teething problems with DJI's Fly Safe? Maybe. At the moment the process seems to be an exercise in absolute frustration, in part because I feel DJI have gone at implementing the Fly Safe model too hard too fast. I suspect some of this may be attributable to some well publicised events, along with too many less publicised instances of UAV's not been flown responsibly. If there is pressure coming on DJI to implement a global NFZ with a system of individual licenses being granted on an application basis only, I suspect the AIOC may be the body with sufficient international clout to get such a system across all geopolitical boundaries.
Don't like it much myself at present, but it is what it is - and probably will be the only way any of the UAV community will be able to fly in the very near future. "Cowboys" and impromptu misusers will simply not be able to get their bird off the ground. Remember, pretty much all the technology that has given our UAV's the ability to fly, is also very much the same technology that can be used to prevent those same UAV's from flying.

Thanks, I completely agree. Warnings and low altitude flying should be fine in some of these areas. We are by a small airport and the drone operators respect the airport and we all get along without any problems. It can be done!

That is one reason why I kept two of my 3dr solo drones. I use my mp2 and my 3dr solo whenever i am on a job assignment.

I have to keep my solo for ever. my first love. But it's like putting a tank in the sky compared to the dji's. I have the phantom, mavic zoom and spark. They are amazing.

I needed to shoot in Corona NY, 1.8 miles SSE of LGA. I called LGA Tower Cab and Supervisor "OK'd" the fli,ght. Called NYPD and notified them, no problem there. I was trying to use my Mavic 2 Pro with Smart Controller. It would not let me even start engines. Eventually I had to hook up to my smartphones' Internet from the Smart Controller. The Smart Controller requested my phone # . I entered by DJI-registered phone #. I received a textr on my smart phone with a code. No explanation how and where to enter the code. I then tried calling DJI. DJI phopne support had no clue. They said I had to email "[email protected]": and that's I'd get a response in 48 hours or so! (WHAT!!!!?!!). I had to leave because I had to resolution. How do I unlock for flight at this location. I want to go back asap.

Question for you Skyler King. I am also from NYC and have my Part 107. When you stated you called NYPD, where did you call? Local Precinct?

An interesting response from 'AirShare' (AirShare is the primary hub for UAV and drone operators in New Zealand, whether a drone enthusiast, private user or commercial operator.) who I recently wrote to, querying why DJI's NFZ geofencing system was being allowed to override the authorisations I had been from receiving from AirShare for shielded flying within in area less than 4km of my local airport.
Here is there slightly paraphrased reply.

"….the problem you describe with DJI's geofencing is causing some frustration amongst the community.
AirShare is working with DJI to provide electronic authorisations to DJI that will unlock drones where the appropriate approvals are in place. At the moment, DJI have taken an interpretation based on information from CAA (New Zealand) about where drones can and cannot fly, independently of AirShare."

My interpretation of this response from AirShare is two-fold. 1) DJI seem to be interpreting information coming from the CAA differently from what is intended, hence the lock ups which have been complained of that in many cases doesn't reflect the geographical or infrastructural reality of an area. 2) AirShare, through various different parent company iterations is very much a part of the government level apparatus which regulates the "how and when" of aviation in this country - ultimately guided/directed by the IAOC. So, if I was taking a narrow view of AirShare's response, DJI almost certainly appears to be directed by the aviation regulators (worldwide) around UAV "geofencing" - even if they have gone off in their own direction with interpretation of information!

An interesting response from 'AirShare' (AirShare is the primary hub for UAV and drone operators in New Zealand, whether a drone enthusiast, private user or commercial operator.) who I recently wrote to, querying why DJI's NFZ geofencing system was being allowed to override the authorisations I had been from receiving from AirShare for shielded flying within in area less than 4km of my local airport.
Here is there slightly paraphrased reply.

"….the problem you describe with DJI's geofencing is causing some frustration amongst the community.
AirShare is working with DJI to provide electronic authorisations to DJI that will unlock drones where the appropriate approvals are in place. At the moment, DJI have taken an interpretation based on information from CAA (New Zealand) about where drones can and cannot fly, independently of AirShare."

My interpretation of this response from AirShare is two-fold. 1) DJI seem to be interpreting information coming from the CAA differently from what is intended, hence the lock ups which have been complained of that in many cases doesn't reflect the geographical or infrastructural reality of an area. 2) AirShare, through various different parent company iterations is very much a part of the government level apparatus which regulates the "how and when" of aviation in this country - ultimately guided/directed by the IAOC. So, if I was taking a narrow view of AirShare's response, DJI almost certainly appears to be directed by the aviation regulators (worldwide) around UAV "geofencing" - even if they have gone off in their own direction with interpretation of information!
Thanks for the info

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803