DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I filmed a Wedge Tail Eagle attacking my drone

Reactions: GlenGitsham
Wedgie 1, Mavic 0 ... Sorry to see the damage done there mate.

:D Wedge Tail Eagle - up to 12 lbs in weight and a 7 ft wingspan ... It wanted the prop's to pick it's teeth [bill] with!!! Hurt ... not very likely ...

I live in Western North Carolina, I have many hawks and eagles doing " fly bys" while I am flying , but never had one make contact .
I would think any contact with the props would do harm to the predator .
Just more ways to have fun with Mavics .
Mike

Mike
[An aside ... I'm a fan of Raptors] Depends on the Eagle ... The Wedge Tail includes snakes in its diet (with most of the snakes in Australia being poisonous!). Eagles that go after snakes have skin on their legs like armour.

I live in Western North Carolina, I have many hawks and eagles doing " fly bys" while I am flying , but never had one make contact .
Just more ways to have fun with Mavics .
Mike
Australian Wedge Tail Eagles are massive. They have a 7' wingspan and a thick hide on their talons. In some of the frames while falling, you can see an arm and motor ripped from the socket, and flailing about connected only by wires.

Reactions: JACK TAR
[An aside ... I'm a fan of Raptors] Depends on the Eagle ... The Wedge Tail includes snakes in its diet (with most of the snakes in Australia being poisonous!). Eagles that go after snakes have skin on their legs like armour.
very few aussie snakes are poisonous - venomous yes, poisonous no. :)

Don't think so. He was circling above me while I recovered the wreckage, waiting for an opportunity to pick at my carcass.
you were luck to survive, wedgies are known to attack and eat drone pilots. :pOn my 1st flight, i had a family of plovers have a go, 2nd flight, a flock of swallows kept buzzing the drone. havent had a problem since

I had a swarm of bees chase my p3s last week. They kept up with it for several minutes until I went straight up and back. Looked strange with a black cloud about 2 m long trailing every move...so I didn't stop in case they overwhelmed it.

There's always one!.. :p

I don't keep venomous but some of my collection could still give you a very nasty bite for such pedantry!
I do like to help people increase their knowledge . i saw a pic of a BIG python the other day with its mouth wide open and the hundreds of needle like teeth. i think it would rip your skin right off

I do like to help people increase their knowledge . i saw a pic of a BIG python the other day with its mouth wide open and the hundreds of needle like teeth. i think it would rip your skin right off

Oh I have some big pythons and the merest scratch against their teeth is enough to draw a substantial amount of blood. A proper bite looks like someone took a carving knife to you.

Reactions: Aussie Oldtimer
Nice work! Sorry about the drone...

TOP * EAGLE
In 2018, an Australian Wedge Tail Eagle took out my drone while filming "The Flinders"

I was quick enough to film it.

TOP * EAGLE

Please like and subscribe to my channel: GKG Imaging

Sorry for your loss Glen, great video though. I’m always looking out for Wedge Tails while flying in WA.
I checked your YT channel mate and was very impressed with your flinders range video,I enjoyed the scenery too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000