DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I filmed a Wedge Tail Eagle attacking my drone

Rod up here in Alaska, have had many eagles go after my drones last couple of years. Best defense is straight down or straight up when they’re close as they cannot compensate.
At least to give you the opportunity/chance to get away from them.
That said, that was a Great Job on production of this short clip in my opinion. Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: GlenGitsham
Has anyone had any luck gluing or painting “eyes” to the top of their Mavic to see if that reduces the sneak attack from birds?

Has anyone had any luck gluing or painting “eyes” to the top of their Mavic to see if that reduces the sneak attack from birds?
If you did, I don't know how you'd measure success. If I never lost another drone to a bird, what would I attribute the success to?

Reactions: geevee
I had a guy interested in buying my MP and he lived out west, and I asked about Wedgies.... I ended up losing the sale. Flying on the farm in SA I was constantly chased by cockatoos, plovers and ravens, but I reckon against a wedgie you'd often come off 2nd best. magnificent birds! great video.

If you did, I don't know how you'd measure success. If I never lost another drone to a bird, what would I attribute the success to?
I have asked about this before, had the same idea! I'm not sure against a wedgie anything would work, they are the top of the chain and don't fear much.

I have asked about this before, had the same idea! I'm not sure against a wedgie anything would work, they are the top of the chain and don't fear much.
Can't remember where I saw it, but I did read that if you zoom your drone up vertically the Raptor will leave it alone, because that's a reaction it never sees from natural prey (birds will close their wings and dive!). Problem is, you've got to come down at some point ...

Reactions: geevee
Can't remember where I saw it, but I did read that if you zoom your drone up vertically the Raptor will leave it alone, because that's a reaction it never sees from natural prey (birds will close their wings and dive!). Problem is, you've got to come down at some point ...
haha, exactly. hard to know what anyone of use would do in that situation, a wedgie is basically an Avatar banshee..... maybe not as big but rather mesmerizing. I'd probably just gape in awe and watch my drone be demolished. Commiserations to the OP, do you have DJI refresh? :p

Yup, this is what I've heard. It's also common to use a quad as a chase vehicle for fixed wing survey UAV's. When the wedgies get too close the quads are used to persuade them to bugger off

I was hoping the wedge tail eagle thing was more localised out west. I took the Mavic up the other day into the paddocks at the top of the family farm (in NSW). From afar, I thought some small kid was sitting on the fencepost. I stayed in the drivers seat and put the mavic on the roof of the ute then flew it up to see and quickly realised it was a bird. Then as I got to the point shown in this photo, I realised it was a wedge tail and quickly brought it back. Those are huge cattle gates and you could see it had well over a 2m wingspan, when it took off. Amazing to see it open its enormous wings. A shame, as up till now, without a second thought, I've been able to fly our fence lines to check on the property and watch the kangaroos. He's taken up residence in the woods on the property.vlcsnapshot-WedgeTailEagle.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J