DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I fly FPV quads so not every mistake mean instant death ... Jeez

That's a lot of work just to pick a few berries? (joking)
And guys... if you were guaranteed a unlimited number of resurrections would you..? 😈
Depends on how much it hurts just before the resurrection.

Also, not sure I'd want to fly over that tram and the cables, but I guess better than flying into it!

OK. I was watching this at my 'stand-up' desk and found my knees buckling a few times. I guess you don't have to be crazy to do that, but perhaps it helps a bit. All that being said, it was a spectacular video. Many thanks for posting!!

Reactions: Andy carley
OK. I was watching this at my 'stand-up' desk and found my knees buckling a few times. I guess you don't have to be crazy to do that, but perhaps it helps a bit. All that being said, it was a spectacular video. Many thanks for posting!!
It's spectacular no doubt about that, & the daredevil in the clip risk way more than just some carbon fiber pieces & electronics.

But if you like the rollercoaster view without putting your life at stake... just pick up some FPV Acro flying, the dizziness will disappear eventually. In below clip I fly my 5" a nice summer evening, standing freely without support & perform about the same moves 😁

It's spectacular no doubt about that, & the daredevil in the clip risk way more than just some carbon fiber pieces & electronics.

But if you like the rollercoaster view without putting your life at stake... just pick up some FPV Acro flying, the dizziness will disappear eventually. In below clip I fly my 5" a nice summer evening, standing freely without support & perform about the same moves 😁

How long does it take a person to learn to fly an FPV drone like that without crashing? And, just curious, how fast does the average, but decent, FPV drone fly?

How long does it take a person to learn to fly an FPV drone like that without crashing?
That's for sure very individual... but for me it took like one summer season real flying, plus additional 50h simulator flying (Velocidrone) during the winter period before flying for real.

With the sim flying, most of the stick muscle memory was imprinted before getting airborne for real, the stick sensitivity was dialed as I wanted it (using the sim with my real RC radio)... the only unknown factors was thing's like how fast my real quad fell with zero throttle & to experience prop wash for real & learn to not freak out and adapt the flying to minimize it (not only descend flat without adding in some horizontal movement in the right moment in the fall). Can also add that my intention always was to be able to stand up when flying with the goggles, didn't want to drag a chair with me all the time... so flew the sim always standing in a dark room so I only could see the PC screen & nothing else.

My background before starting to fly quads (with goggles) fully manual, was one season flying my Mavic Air 1... before that I had never ever touched anything RC related. And despised Roller coasters... couldn't stand them, always was on the verge to puke when trying a ride with the kids (with the quad flying practice all that have disappeared) 😄

And, just curious, how fast does the average, but decent, FPV drone fly?
Horizontal speed depends on how you set the up-tilt angle for the FPV camera... you mostly don't change the camera tilt on a quad, if you want to freestyle (not race) the camera up-tilt should be somewhere between 20-35 degrees, that will give a good speed with acceptable maneuver precision. Furthermore the chosen camera tilt regulates how much stick you need to apply in roll & yaw to make turns (ends up in the muscle memory)... so you can easily screw up your flying skills by readjusting the camera tilt too much at a time, too quick (I started with 35 degrees & it took a couple weeks to readjust when I lowered it to 30 degrees).

So with all that said... the horizontal speed depends on the camera up-tilt & after that, how powerful the propulsion system is on the quad you have. If putting your camera up by 85 degrees (like a racer) your quad will be tilted down by 85 degrees when you see the horizon in the middle of the picture in the goggles... If you there have a quad powerful enough to generate enough thrust to maintain altitude... you will be flying very fast (and drain the batteries very fast, & put on a very high current through the electronical components).

My different quads (ranging from 3" size freestyle, over to 4" efficient "long range" to 5" heavy freestyle) spans between 120-180km/h if I tilt down so I just barely can keep the altitude with max throttle (mainly just seeing the ground then, with my 30 degrees camera up-tilt).

Here's how the thrust is directed & change in size vertically (oppose gravity) & horizontally (regulate horizontal speed), when changing the camera tilt

1698842411849.png

Here a typical Freestyle/Cruising tilt... likely around 15-20 degrees (note how the GoPro have about the same tilt as the FPV camera)

1698842497510.png

And here one for a Racing quad... likely 65-70 degrees

1698842571407.png

Here you have a good writeup around camera angles & how it relates to horizontal speed and how it changes the way you maneuver the quad & how it changes the way the quad reacts to your stick inputs...

FPV Camera Angle: Solving the Mystery of Fast Flight

Last edited:
I suspect the clips that were from the paraglider perspective were fake. Instead it was footage from the FPV with the seat knees and feet of the pilot added in in post.

Reactions: Red_Pyro
That's for sure very individual... but for me it took like one summer season real flying, plus additional 50h simulator flying (Velocidrone) during the winter period before flying for real.

With the sim flying, most of the stick muscle memory was imprinted before getting airborne for real, the stick sensitivity was dialed as I wanted it (using the sim with my real RC radio)... the only unknown factors was thing's like how fast my real quad fell with zero throttle & to experience prop wash for real & learn to not freak out and adapt the flying to minimize it (not only descend flat without adding in some horizontal movement in the right moment in the fall). Can also add that my intention always was to be able to stand up when flying with the goggles, didn't want to drag a chair with me all the time... so flew the sim always standing in a dark room so I only could see the PC screen & nothing else.

My background before starting to fly quads (with goggles) fully manual, was one season flying my Mavic Air 1... before that I had never ever touched anything RC related. And despised Roller coasters... couldn't stand them, always was on the verge to puke when trying a ride with the kids (with the quad flying practice all that have disappeared) 😄

Horizontal speed depends on how you set the up-tilt angle for the FPV camera... you mostly don't change the camera tilt on a quad, if you want to freestyle (not race) the camera up-tilt should be somewhere between 20-35 degrees, that will give a good speed with acceptable maneuver precision. Furthermore the chosen camera tilt regulates how much stick you need to apply in roll & yaw to make turns (ends up in the muscle memory)... so you can easily screw up your flying skills by readjusting the camera tilt too much at a time, too quick (I started with 35 degrees & it took a couple weeks to readjust when I lowered it to 30 degrees).

So with all that said... the horizontal speed depends on the camera up-tilt & after that, how powerful the propulsion system is on the quad you have. If putting your camera up by 85 degrees (like a racer) your quad will be tilted down by 85 degrees when you see the horizon in the middle of the picture in the goggles... If you there have a quad powerful enough to generate enough thrust to maintain altitude... you will be flying very fast (and drain the batteries very fast, & put on a very high current through the electronical components).

My different quads (ranging from 3" size freestyle, over to 4" efficient "long range" to 5" heavy freestyle) spans between 120-180km/h if I tilt down so I just barely can keep the altitude with max throttle (mainly just seeing the ground then, with my 30 degrees camera up-tilt).

Here's how the thrust is directed & change in size vertically (oppose gravity) & horizontally (regulate horizontal speed), when changing the camera tilt

View attachment 169784

Here a typical Freestyle/Cruising tilt... likely around 15-20 degrees (note how the GoPro have about the same tilt as the FPV camera)

View attachment 169785

View attachment 169786

Here you have a good writeup around camera angles & how it relates to horizontal speed and how it changes the way you maneuver the quad & how it changes the way the quad reacts to your stick inputs...

View attachment 169784

View attachment 169785

View attachment 169786

Great write up. Care to share the spec of your builds ?

Reactions: slup
Great write up. Care to share the spec of your builds ?
It's not "my" builds, prefer to buy BNF's... not interested in choosing & sourcing components & building my own, just want to fly (all are pre-tuned from the box, but usually re-tune them slightly for all different prop/batt combinations I use, to get them to fly as I want)

The 5" is a iFlight Nazgul Evoque F5D GPS
The 4" is a Avant Quads Ciro 4 LR GPS
The 3" is a AvionRC Avio 3HD

All with CaddX Vistas + a mix of Nebula Pro & original DJI FPV cameras.

For all, I'm using the DJI FPV goggles V2 & the DJI FPV controller v1.

With setup's like this... it's equal integrated & easy to start up, as with any Avata or DJI FPV drone ( granted, if you already master acro mode & doesn't need the "GPS photo drone modes")

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoosiergsp