DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost My DJI Mini . Do not Buy it !!!!!! wind took it away !!!!

gzamir

Reactions
Do not buy this devise .I just got it . I took it for it first flight . wind took it away. GPS sucks .Spent 6 hours looking for it .Do not buy this Devise .It sucks . So so upset :(!!!!!

Another happy customer. People need to understand drone limits. The fact that on the group the wind is 9 mph, for example, does not means it will be the same 100 ft high. The drone can handle up to 17 mph. On top of that if you are using the propellers guards will drag your drone much easier.

Just an example.
test.jpg

Sorry to here, but something that weights only 250 grams and limited engine power can’t fight The wind. Pretty obviusly to me. It can barely handle wind up to 8m/s in a safe matter. They proclaim It to be a beginner drone but to handle It demands some knowledge before putting It up in The air.

Sorry you lost your Mini . . . I don't blame you for being upset. A good number of people have done the very same as you, as the Mini, though being a very capable light drone, does not handle strong winds well. I.e. if the wind is blowing faster than the little guy can fly - it's goodbye. So when the wind is romping (and note that it can be reasonable down low and too strong up high, simply don't fly!

wind took it away. GPS sucks
Before you go bashing the MIni. Why not upload your flight logs to verify that it was the wind. Any number of possibilities could explain the cause, other than wind. Your description is so vague it is impossible to know that. Upload the .txt log to the link below
and share a link back here, if you really want to know.

DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

We used to say in the military: "You've got to be smarter than the equipment you operate". An aircraft that weighs less than an iPhone will have a difficult time in winds greater than 10mph. I've got about 10 short flights on mine, using UAV forecast before launch, without any problems.

Do not buy this devise .I just got it . I took it for it first flight . wind took it away. GPS sucks .Spent 6 hours looking for it .Do not buy this Devise .It sucks . So so upset :(!!!!!

And so that would seem to be your error, not a problem with the Mini. The instruction manual, that of course you read carefully before flying, clearly states the wind speed limitations of the aircraft.

Although we cannot possibly know what happened in your flight without the flight logs, it does seem that you have joined a growing club of new UAS owners who have lost their MM due to exceeding the capabilities of the craft.

It is unfortunate, and it is a club that no one wants to join. However, saying that "GPS sucks" and telling others "Do not buy this devise" really isn't helpful to anyone. Why does the GPS suck? What does that refer to? Losing it because you knowingly flew it in winds which exceed its designed capability does not mean that others should be dissuaded from purchasing it.

The limitations of MM are clearly stated in the documentation. Checking ground level winds and winds aloft is not only crucial to any safe flight, but also incredibly easy with the apps we have available today. This is equally valid for a MM as it is for a Mavic 2 Pro or an Inspire 2. Each has their design limitations and we as pilots need to be aware of them.

Perhaps it would be more helpful to the entire community to outline what the conditions were and what exactly occurred (with flight logs of course). That way current and future MM owners can learn and hopefully avoid the same situation.

To quote the great Sam Beckett 'oh boy'.....

Sorry you lost your drone. That sucks. There are some great people on here that might be able to help you find it If you share your flight logs. Only last week a guy found his Mini under similar circumstances. So, don’t give up hope just yet.

Blaming the drone like "GPS Sucks" is like buying a new Ferrari and leaving the dealer you slide the car spinning, crashed and say "don't buy this car because sucks"

People need to learn 2 thinks.
Drone limitations and Pilot limitations. If you don't wait until the GPS signal is acquired with at least 9 satellites and the pilot won't know-how is the weather, don't blame the drone.

I THINK the OP means the GPS sucks as in he searched for considerable time trying ‘find my drone’ and often in such circumstances this is totally useless to the task.
OP, go to the link in post #5, and post the flight log, and follow that carefully, upload the link back here.
There are techniques used by flight analysts on the forum that have been very successful in past blow away flights.
It’s up to you to do this and have the best chance of recovering your Mini, in the end it might have auto landed quite ok if lucky.

We used to say in the military: "You've got to be smarter than the equipment you operate". An aircraft that weighs less than an iPhone will have a difficult time in winds greater than 10mph. I've got about 10 short flights on mine, using UAV forecast before launch, without any problems.

Agree completely, It’s not right to blame the MM in most of these cases.

Well I bought one in December, living here in on the UK coast most days it’s very windy above 100 meters . I love mine and it’s still here in my possession because I guess I do the research before flying.

Well from just reading his back post and also him saying in
the opening he was ...so so upset..I beleave your right on
the rant part but after he made this thread he logged off.
Might be reading but hasn’t logged back on yet.

I luv Mavics! Wind, like trees and mountains, happen.
I hope you find your drone. I'm sorry for the loss. We all can understand your loss. It's happened to people before with all kinds of drones.

Any pilot must first learn of the drone’s capabilities. Once, or even before, ordering a drone, one should read as much as possible on piloting the drone in question. The last thing anyone should do is jump right on the bandwagon and purchase because of impulse. This goes for almost any product! (New flavor of OREO cookies is exempt from this). Research as much as you can, visit the forum, ask advise, try a supervised test drive (if possible). Just because my 2019 F-150 3.5 has EcoBoost, does not mean I should try to see how fast I can get to Denver from Colorado Springs. I paid too much for that ride to wreck my truck, lose my license, or my life (or someone else’s). Learn the limits and operate safely within them!

Attachments

• EE5D15F6-84A6-46E3-99B2-DAE104B64145.jpeg
    EE5D15F6-84A6-46E3-99B2-DAE104B64145.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato