DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NOLA-J

Reactions
Don't pull the sticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a few forums about people removing the controller sticks and I wanted to give it a try. Lots of people have posted that they can be removed with ease, or slight force. Well...I pulled to hard.

I cannot remove mine. I went with some steady force and they didn't budge. Now my controller beeps very loud saying "return sticks to center" even though they are centered. It beeps so load I have to turn it off before I can trouble shoot. No apparent damage from the exterior nor does it feel like something is off when I move the sticks. Not sure what to do here guys but don't pull your sticks! Flying the drone with the iPhone in WiFi mode works fine BTW.

Anyone know what to do about my controller? I fear I have done some internal damage....

Reactions: rfc0001
I did the re-calibration. Did not fix the issue. It also took me about a min to re-calibrate, constantly spinning the sticks until the little lines made a full square. It seemed like it was having trouble making the square. Not a fun process.

Weird how the sticks are removable on some models and not others..

Anyone else think that its possible the pre production mavics had removable sticks and then they scratched the idea come final production?

Reactions: NOLA-J
Weird how the sticks are removable on some models and not others..

Anyone else think that its possible the pre production mavics had removable sticks and then they scratched the idea come final production?

This has to be the case, or they used a different adhesive to make it hold better. I hope this warning prevents anyone else from damaging their unit.

Don't pull the sticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a few forums about people removing the controller sticks and I wanted to give it a try. Lots of people have posted that they can be removed with ease, or slight force. Well...I pulled to hard.

I cannot remove mine. I went with some steady force and they didn't budge. Now my controller beeps very loud saying "return sticks to center" even though they are centered. It beeps so load I have to turn it off before I can trouble shoot. No apparent damage from the exterior nor does it feel like something is off when I move the sticks. Not sure what to do here guys but don't pull your sticks! Flying the drone with the iPhone in WiFi mode works fine BTW.

Anyone know what to do about my controller? I fear I have done some internal damage....
Here's a video showing the tear down of the RC. Maybe you can fix?

Here's a video showing the tear down of the RC. Maybe you can fix?

Oh man. I am handy but the internals of that controller look intense. If I was able to damage my controller by tugging upward on the sticks, I cannot imagine how much damage I could do by taking it apart. I am very sad.

Cant ya just send them to dji for repair? Im sure the turn around wont be too bad, espiecially with care refresh

Cant ya just send them to dji for repair? Im sure the turn around wont be too bad, espiecially with care refresh

Purchased through Best Buy without the Care Refresh plan. So what are the steps here? Contact DJI support and ask them to fix it?

I had a feeling this was going to happen, only the first run of Mavic's showed the ability to have the sticks removed, I never felt the need as I use a larger sling bag. Sorry for the hard learned lesson and I hope you can get it repaired without too much trouble.

****UPDATE****

I fixed it. :)

I did the controller stick re-calibration about 3 more times and it finally worked. So why did it not work the first time----- I was doing the calibration all wrong. :D Silly, I know, but they key to proper recalibration is to roll your sticks around, like tracing a box, but very very slow. I was spinning them around super fast because I thought it was making the white trace line appear faster. Nope. Once I watched this video:
It finally worked.

Needless to say I am very relieved and back to thinking this little machine is amazing once again. The let down broken tech can give you dives deep into your soul, so I am thankful for the internet and the people trying to help. Y'all are awesome.

Also: The moment I re-calibrated it gave me a magnetic field error. So this made me think everything had gone bananas, but little did I know, I was putting the mavic on an unopened package in my den. In the box: a magnetic knife holder to hang knives and metal in your kitchen.

It's been a rollercoaster of emotions.

Glad you fixed it. Btw magnetic inference is common indoors, especially if the Mavic is next to the controller.

I did the re-calibration. Did not fix the issue. It also took me about a min to re-calibrate, constantly spinning the sticks until the little lines made a full square. It seemed like it was having trouble making the square. Not a fun process.

Are you sure you are getting full calibration? I did not do it correctly several times, I then realized you have to sometimes move the sticks back and forth in one area to "clear: that area of the "square" you are trying to make complete.

I cringed when I watched those videos for this very reason. Just remember, people also post video of drilling into their iPhones to find the "hidden" headphone port ;)
Any time someone tell you, "Oh just yank on this cheap piece of plastic that connects to electronics and you'll be fine". Kick them in the balls! As if the freaking Mavic & the RC aren't portable enough already, removing the 3/4 inch high control sticks are really gonna make a difference. I remember watching these videos back in October and laughed my *** off.

Reactions: MarkEt and NOLA-J

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute