DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I want a tracker like this

What's the range on that Marco Polo?
I like my Trackimo but indeed I found myself in an area with no cellular which made it worthless there.
The actual range is not that important as if you drive in the direction that your drone flew you'd most likely pick up a signal. Also drive to the RTH flight path. I've had to drive for miles and in extremely rough terrain and finally picked up a signal. Where I live up at 8,000' ASL in the Rockies I'm surrounded by deep ravines, mountains, and cliffs. One of the cliffs has an over 2,500' vertical granite cliff!
I just bought a 3rd Marco Polo tag for my new Mavic Pro. I already have tags and receivers that I've dedicated for my Inspire 1V2 and Phantoms.

When I first got my Marco Polo and tried it out, the finder picked up the signal a mile away as measured by my car. It will depend a lot on obstructions between the finder and the tag on your drone. Find a high spot, if possible, and walk or drive in the direction you last suspect your drone was, until you do pick up a signal. I attach the tags with strong velcro and since we generally fly one at a time my friends and I can use the same tag and, of course, the same finder/locator/receiver.

I love my Marco Polo, crashed deep in the forest. Took over 1hr+ to reach MP. Battery was depleted in drone so "Find My Drone" not usable, map from RC definitely started me in the right direction. Marco Polo took me right to MP. Side note Marco Polo battery tag will stay avtive: Monitor Mode 45 days, Idle 15 days and Tracking Mode 3 days. You have time to search and find.

GPS tracker for model aircraft and drones - Optimal Tracking

I will be flying a lot in a remote mountain area that only has Verizon coverage and many areas where my Mavic could get lost have no coverage (low areas, drainages, cliff faces, etc).

Not sure if this tracker actually transmits the GPS coordinates to the receiver but it certainly looks easier to use than the Marco Polo.

We need more radio signal based tracker options.
If your Mavic records Home, I can't see the reason to spent for a tracker plus the map on the app tells where she's @, but a full battery I can't see it, tell me why Please

If your Mavic records Home, I can't see the reason to spent for a tracker plus the map on the app tells where she's @, but a full battery I can't see it, tell me why Please
I haven't been on these forums for long but things just don't turn out as you expect.

I have only two hours flight experience and already seen unexpected things occur such as loss of Mavic signal from 1 metre away.
I briefly lost a Parrot Orak in a tree right in front of me due to wind.

In summary, it helps to have a backup plan when things go bad. There will always be a risk of loss in everything you do but you can minimise your risk.

Am I misunderstanding the ad? It indicates a 30 minute run time? Or is that a beacon transmitted every 30 minutes?
I think it means after it has been deployed for 30 minutes it starts transmitting. Apparently has a pull activation tag.

Reactions: TotemLake
That is correct.
It comes standard with a 30 minute delay from the time the shorting plug is pulled off before starting the signal transmission. I selected the optional 15 minute delay instead. Personal choice.
I suppose in case you may be concerned that there might be some sort of interference from the 432mhz signal that could affect the aircraft, the 30 minute delay is more than the batteries on the Mavic would last anyway. I have tested mine and received no interference alarms at all.

I don't fly without my Marco Polo fully charged/on and tie wrapped to the LH rear arm. Hope I never use it but certainly makes flying it a lot less stressful. I once lost it in a tree for 3 days. Found it only by accident but never want to do that again. It is certainly a worthwhile investment just for piece of mind.

I have been using the Marco Polo tag and finder for over a year. I nearly always fly where there is no cell phone coverage. Twice, so far, I have saved a Mavic from being lost forever. Once was in a forest where the Mavic landed, undamaged, in a tree about one mile away. I was able to locate the Mavic with the finder. This would have been impossible without the finder. The other time was just a few days ago. I was flying in an area with huge canyons, cliffs everywhere and the Mavic lost contact and instead of coming home, landed. For the last few minutes there was no video transmission to give me a clue where it was. A friend and I took the Marco Polo finder/locator and started walking. A signal of about 16% was picked up and we eventually found the Mavic by walking towards increasing signal strength and the arrow on the finder/locator indicating which way to walk. We found the Mavic on the very edge of a thousand foot cliff. Six more inches and it would have been destroyed trying to land in the canyon. We estimated that we walked 1/4 to 1/2 mile before finding the Mavic.

My point is that my $200 for the Marco Polo has twice saved $1,000 drones.
I have the Marco Polo also, and I love it. I just wanted to mention, that, to me, it's amazing that you got a signal so soon with all those canyons, but, the main thing I wanted to mention, for anyone who might not be getting a signal for a while. You can do a grid search of the suspected down site, and have a lot better odds. Also, the instructions say that if you can get on a peak or high spot, you have better reception also. Thank God, it didn't fall off that 1000 foot cliff your talking about here. I'll bet that retrieval was a little scary, but you got it back ok. Marc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne