DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I watched someone crash their drone in Hawaii 2 days ago

Micro maybe, but mitt macro, and even micro dimensions would need to be defined before I’d agree.
For example, macro might be an entire river from the area downstream of a drone splashing into it. No effect measurably, whatsoever in your example of one incident. Micro would be perhaps the five foot area surrounding the impact. Not sure there would be much other than the accident litter, but perhaps the battery would leach lithium or solder from circuitboards would microscopically enter the water at maybe a few parts per million.
Now, from hundreds of millions of incidents, but the hobby won’t be this vogue for as long as cell phone damage caused by inadvertent loss, which by the way, is hundreds of times more prevalent than drone losses.

I meant that it would affect the bacteria and organisms in that five foot area, which in turn would affect those that survive on them and so on and so forth.I don't feel like I want to explain this further, clearly you have a fixed viewpoint and I'm happy to let it go. Fly safe.

I meant that it would affect the bacteria and organisms in that five foot area, which in turn would affect those that survive on them and so on and so forth.I don't feel like I want to explain this further, clearly you have a fixed viewpoint and I'm happy to let it go. Fly safe.
“Save the Bacteria!” ROFLMAO

This is such an important thread. Thank you for illustrating your “viewpoint” so clearly. Control control control!!

Reactions: faceman
Total nonsense and dramatic rubbish!

Lithium Polymer is not an environmental pollutant in any significant way and those places you are advocating for bans are the very places the future will need to have preserved via drone footage as they are under assault from many more dangers than tiny batteries!!

I would like to know how much environmental destruction was caused by..
A getting to the park, (even, or maybe especially in an EV)
B trampling all over the flora and fauna
C visual pollution (people are a blot on the landscape too in popular scenic areas)

I saw a guy flying a mavic pro from a random unmarked pullout on the side of highway 550 (Waimea Canyon, Kauai) on Wednesday 4/25/18. I wanted to bring mine but didn't want to deal with the TSA hassle (if any) and just the general concern for excessive winds and the various flight restrictions.

Reactions: FlybyWyre
A Mavic battery is what? 6 cubic inches +/- in volume?
The volume of the Grand Canyon is..... are you sitting down??
About 250 TRILLION cubic inches. “Are you kidding?” Indeed lol
Alex, I'll take geographic trivia for $1000.
And the answer is "It has a volume of 250 trillion cubic inches".
"What is Rosie O'Donell?"
Incorrect.

Reactions: Matparlier
I watched someone flying what appeared to be a Mavic Air In a state park in Kauai 2 days ago, and they dropped their drone into a forest on a very, very steep mountain after hitting a tree. No way to recover it. Ever. So, now,, that drone, and it's batteries and other electronic chemistries, will leach into that soil and groundwater to what environmental effect?

Not only that, but a little kitten might trip over it some day...

I saw a guy flying a mavic pro from a random unmarked pullout on the side of highway 550 (Waimea Canyon, Kauai).
My sympathies to you that your nature experience was ruined by the deafening noise of a drone and terror of it almost hitting your car. I’m sure he was an “off-islander” and will be arrested soon.

Reactions: Rogat19 and Drgnfli
So some poor guy has an accident and you’re jumping all over him? I’m glad you’re a perfect pilot and never make mistakes. And by your logic the only place people should fly drones are over empty parking lots so they can’t pollute the environment.

I’m going to Lihue next week and I’m brining my Air. I hope you hear it.

I bet that park has more discarded energy drink cans and Spam cans than crashed drones in it.
I like that Americas most pristine and beautiful places are being protected from stupid hobbyists that think taking pictures from the sky is the best way to enjoy it. And somehow think it is a god given right.
Before the anti government types chime in, Yes, no one has been seriously hurt by a drone. BUT you cannot say no one has been BOTHERED by a drone.
I imagine looking over the rim of the grand canyon, and being in awe of its scale and beauty. Then someone gets in MY view and buzzes around with a stupid flying camera. And I f I say something, I have to listen to the "its my right" "there is no law" arguments. What about MY rights?
Keep them out of parks where people go for peace and quiet. And keep the Harleys with the mufflers removed out too.

Last edited:
I saw a guy flying a mavic pro from a random unmarked pullout on the side of highway 550 (Waimea Canyon, Kauai) on Wednesday 4/25/18. I wanted to bring mine but didn't want to deal with the TSA hassle (if any) and just the general concern for excessive winds and the various flight restrictions.
TSA doesnt hassle any drones. I have brought mavics and my inspire 2 all over the world and have never had any issues.

i do get popped for secondary inspections because of all the electronics and such, but that's it. they always make it through, and I have ALOT of batteries.

I watched someone flying what appeared to be a Mavic Air In a state park in Kauai 2 days ago, and they dropped their drone into a forest on a very, very steep mountain after hitting a tree. No way to recover it. Ever. So, now,, that drone, and it's batteries and other electronic chemistries, will leach into that soil and groundwater to what environmental effect? Just like the idiot that dropped his drone into Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone This is one more reason why I'm in favor of complete and total bans in state and National Parks and will support them every chance I get. There are a multitude of good reasons, but I watched this one. As a drone owner myself, it solidified my stance
I hate to say it but lithium is already a significant element present in volcanic rocks, more in some and less in others. Generally, the source for lithium is from leached, fluid concentrates originally derived from volcanic rocks. If lithium-powered UAVs should be flown anywhere, it would be Hawaii as these are fully volcanic islands. If anything, tourists, if concerned about lithium, should avoid stagnant ponds in Hawaii until they've been tested for lithium and other leached metals. The chances are that these will contain significantly elevated levels of lithium. Just a little geology and geochemistry.

Hmmm....can I fly a kite, carry a helium balloon, play catch, frizby, or use anything from a package...etc. All will bespoil the 'pristine perfection of nature'. We exhale CO2....a known pollutant...there is so much to worry about.
We are part of Nature and will leave a very small footprint when we are extinct. The wait shouldn't be long...in geologic terms.
At a $1000+ a pop I think the collective impact of drones on the landscape will be insignificant.
CO2 is not a pollutant! In fact, it is absolutely necessary for life, especially plants, and the current earth is actually CO2 deprived. In geologic terms, CO2 levels were MUCH higher in the past. Further, on this blog, how many Mavics and other UAVs have been lost, and you can't even find a trace of them, even when you know within a few feet of where they apparently landed. Just defies the paranoia that some people have.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Not to mention that the limiting factor right now is information about them, not even ability to fly them or pricing. They're so easy to fly that almost anyone can do it, and the prices of drones like the Yuneec Breeze and Parrot Bebop 1 are below $200, and I'm sure that even the Tello could be brought along by people if the wind isn't crazy. I've seen the swarm of drones at events like building demolitions, that could very well be the future at national and state parks, too. While tourists are annoying, they're usually limited by their physical attributes. My peaceful climbing and hiking could be invaded by anyone that wants to fly their drone while they sit at the bottom of the trail.
What about us old farts who can no long climb that trail...?

Judging by how bad Kauai was slammed by flooding this last month. I saw on the news today most of the areas I flew are completely closed due to no access to the roads. A drone seems to be a small problem for the island

CO2 is not a pollutant! In fact, it is absolutely necessary for life, especially plants, and the current earth is actually CO2 deprived. In geologic terms, CO2 levels were MUCH higher in the past. Further, on this blog, how many Mavics and other UAVs have been lost, and you can't even find a trace of them, even when you know within a few feet of where they apparently landed. Just defies the paranoia that some people have.
Yes, the CO2 comment was totally a joke! I to am aware of the CO2 mania and the almost total lack of understanding of it as the gas of life.
but, I do worry a little of the battery casing...Plasticus Eternica. But as George Carlin postulated, God needed Mankind because the earth needed plastic.

Ban cars because they wreck and spill oil. Ban airplanes because they crash and dump fuel. Ban the factories that make the things you like because they pollute the air. Ban stupid people because they pollute society.

Wow, "Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"
I couldn't agree more!

A great argument to support drones in National Parks is that drone videos help include those in the Majesty offered by the parks whom can't visit in person due to health reasons, handicapped reasons, financial reasons, etc. I saw a documentary one about the use of helicopters in the grand Canyon and how many people at against it... But helicopters operate in a confined area of the 400mi long canyon and by flying and landing in the canyon, it is able to be enjoyed and appreciated by a much larger portion of society than just the super elite hikers and climbers.

The NPS should have a permit system or a lottery system for using drones in the parks. That way there's accountability and not too many drones being used but it's still a possibility.

I watched someone flying what appeared to be a Mavic Air In a state park in Kauai 2 days ago, and they dropped their drone into a forest on a very, very steep mountain after hitting a tree. No way to recover it. Ever. So, now,, that drone, and it's batteries and other electronic chemistries, will leach into that soil and groundwater to what environmental effect? Just like the idiot that dropped his drone into Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone This is one more reason why I'm in favor of complete and total bans in state and National Parks and will support them every chance I get. There are a multitude of good reasons, but I watched this one. As a drone owner myself, it solidified my stance

Attachments

• offend me somehow.jpeg
    offend me somehow.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 6
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman