DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I watched someone crash their drone in Hawaii 2 days ago

Marko9219

Reactions
I watched someone flying what appeared to be a Mavic Air In a state park in Kauai 2 days ago, and they dropped their drone into a forest on a very, very steep mountain after hitting a tree. No way to recover it. Ever. So, now,, that drone, and it's batteries and other electronic chemistries, will leach into that soil and groundwater to what environmental effect? Just like the idiot that dropped his drone into Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone This is one more reason why I'm in favor of complete and total bans in state and National Parks and will support them every chance I get. There are a multitude of good reasons, but I watched this one. As a drone owner myself, it solidified my stance

Not to mention that the limiting factor right now is information about them, not even ability to fly them or pricing. They're so easy to fly that almost anyone can do it, and the prices of drones like the Yuneec Breeze and Parrot Bebop 1 are below $200, and I'm sure that even the Tello could be brought along by people if the wind isn't crazy. I've seen the swarm of drones at events like building demolitions, that could very well be the future at national and state parks, too. While tourists are annoying, they're usually limited by their physical attributes. My peaceful climbing and hiking could be invaded by anyone that wants to fly their drone while they sit at the bottom of the trail.

Reactions: FlybyWyre
Unfortunate, but the effect of one tiny battery won't amount to much compared to all the other deposition from atmospheric sources and other items.
How many cameras and cellphones have been dropped/lost/forgotten for example.
I would agree with this statement. The overall effect is minuscule in the big picture that is nature.

Not to mention that the limiting factor right now is information about them, not even ability to fly them or pricing. They're so easy to fly that almost anyone can do it, and the prices of drones like the Yuneec Breeze and Parrot Bebop 1 are below $200, and I'm sure that even the Tello could be brought along by people if the wind isn't crazy. I've seen the swarm of drones at events like building demolitions, that could very well be the future at national and state parks, too. While tourists are annoying, they're usually limited by their physical attributes. My peaceful climbing and hiking could be invaded by anyone that wants to fly their drone while they sit at the bottom of the trail.
if it stopped at one "tiny battery ", I would agree. But with unlimited access to fly drones in the parks and given the phenomenal increase in drone ownership of the last 5 years, can you only imagine how many "tiny batteries" would soon be in the Grand Canyon, Hawaiian mountains and Yellowstone thermal pools in the next 10 years? No and absolutely no. Keep them out

Reactions: ambarcapoor
if it stopped at one "tiny battery ", I would agree. But with unlimited access to fly drones in the parks and given the phenomenal increase in drone ownership of the last 5 years, can you only imagine how many "tiny batteries" would soon be in the Grand Canyon, Hawaiian mountains and Yellowstone thermal pools in the next 10 years? No and absolutely no. Keep them out
Ban cars because they wreck and spill oil. Ban airplanes because they crash and dump fuel. Ban the factories that make the things you like because they pollute the air. Ban stupid people because they pollute society.

I flew the heck out of my mavic in Kauai. Bet that guy got some great shots!

Reactions: WIMMPYIII
Dude please ...

When you take something to such extremes, as you just did, it is borderline nonsense.

I’m beginning to think there are a few whose only purpose here is to complain about quads. Someone even brought up a Tello. Oh the horror, a 4 oz quad is going to ruin my day.

Mike

Will you feel the same way when you lose one???

We’re talking at least 4.16666667 trillion Mavic batteries we could fit in there!!
After that instead of being a famous canyon, it would be the worlds largest collection of LiFe (spacing on if that’s the correct type) batteries and an eternal Mecca for us Mavic pilots!

Reactions: faceman
And herein this thread lies the very attitudes that are causing such bans to be required. Better get used to not flying your drones in an ever increasing number of places.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661