DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If buy 2nd hand, can you then still get refresh?

Drony_Drone

Reactions
Thinking of buying a used Mini 2. I would probably get from eBay, or Amazon used or local shop that sells second hand stuff.

I know brand new you can get refresh within 48hrs. After you need to upload a video of proof from a screen recording.

Can you get refresh using the video upload though on a 2nd hand Mini 2? It may have been activated months ago, DJI would know by serial number, so could you still get refresh if go the video route?

Also if getting 2nd hand, can you once logged in get the battery info of how many cycles it’s had on each or is this all reset once last user had factory reset it? Just thinking would be nice to know how many cycles for each battery so can cycle through them.

Thanks

Reactions: Droniac
No, it has to be new in packaging and not synced to the DJI server's.

If it has been turned on out of the box then more than likely it has been sync and cannot be activated on refresh

Reactions: Droniac
I don't know. But I do know that they will take late purchases from original owners if you can prove the drone is in good shape with a verification video. Perhaps it would be ok for a 2nd owner? You can always try. If you have a DJI account I suggest you try to buy it. What's the worst that could happen, have the insurance rejected? You can always buy State Farm insurance for the drone. One claim and you're canceled- but better than having it all come out of your pocket.

You can always buy State Farm insurance for the drone. One claim and you're canceled- but better than having it all come out of your pocket.
Im in UK don’t have that insurance and unsure on UK limits etc.

I believe that if you contact DJI they will want a prescribed video to consider it.
You’re correct but there are a lot of hoops to jump through. I just gave up and went with State Farm. DJI wasn’t worth it to me.

Last edited:
You can buy it, just need to demonstrate it's not broken and in working order which makes sense.

I’ve seen the video method that DJI requests after 48hr have passed on activation but it’s not clear if this can be done on a 2nd hand/2nd user of a Mini 2 (or other drone).

DJI will know that the serial number has already been activated, so will know it’s over 48hr and a second user.

I’ve seen the video method that DJI requests after 48hr have passed on activation but it’s not clear if this can be done on a 2nd hand/2nd user of a Mini 2 (or other drone).

DJI will know that the serial number has already been activated, so will know it’s over 48hr and a second user.
Bit late reply. It doesn't matter if the drone is new/2nd hand. Video activation works, and it's very simple, the whole video that you'll upload to youtube is about 1min long. Just follow the very simple instructions and they'll send you a link to purchase DJI refresh. I've done it with mine mm2 and it was a piece of cake. Done 78 days after the drone was activated.

Bit late reply. It doesn't matter if the drone is new/2nd hand. Video activation works, and it's very simple, the whole video that you'll upload to youtube is about 1min long. Just follow the very simple instructions and they'll send you a link to purchase DJI refresh. I've done it with mine mm2 and it was a piece of cake. Done 78 days after the drone was activated.

That’s good, but what about if it’s a 2nd user? When you log into DJI fly to fly drone, the serial will be logged. So in this case I don’t think they’ll let you as well know it’s already been flying. They’ll know how long, how many flights etc.

Why would that change anything?

As not sure DJI would cover a 2nd hand drone, they may but I don’t know.

If they are happy to just use same video knowing it’s already been registered which they will from the serial number, that’s great and I’d be happy to do the video. Just would like confirming if that’s the case.

That’s good, but what about if it’s a 2nd user? When you log into DJI fly to fly drone, the serial will be logged. So in this case I don’t think they’ll let you as well know it’s already been flying. They’ll know how long, how many flights etc.
I bought mine as '2nd user' from a private entity. They couldn't care less. The only thing that they care about, quite rightly, is that you are not trying to con them by taking out insurance on a faulty/broken drone. Hence request for video validation. It's a simple, painless process that takes minutes if you follow the guide on their website and upload an UNEDITED video on youtube and provide them a link. Took them less than 12 hours since my sending of a link to reply with a link to purchase DJI Refresh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial