DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If my phone can take this pic... Do we think we will get this tech in future drones sooner rather than later?

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So I have a Samsung galaxy 20 and I am able to zoom in a lot with it... Based on the zoom, digital stabilizing and other software the phone is doing after I take the picture I can take pics like this. It is no High-end picture of the moon as we all have seen but... for a phone its pretty **** impressive.

My questions is, knowing that this tech exists exists in phones now I wonder if we will be seeing any of it in cameras like the Mavic 3 or others from DJ? Surely if phone cameras can do this stuff they should be looking at it from an IP stand point..

Just a topic for discussion.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210822_220550-03.jpeg
    20210822_220550-03.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 183
The smart phone camera differs from a drone in several ways. The drone’s camera mounted on a gimbal is constantly in motion counteracting the movements of the drone itself. To make this work well, the lenses are limited to wide angle, which shows the effect less obviously. GoPro takes the same approach.

This effect is there in high end DLSRS and smartphones as well. To get sharp images requires short exposures, or wide angle lenses to insure it. Even the most expensive stabilizers using heavy mechanics can reduce the problem some.

And why would you want your drone to take a blurry pic of the moon? :)
It is just an example, While a little blurry its significantly better than most older tech phone cameras it blows away anything a DJI camera can do in taking a picture of the moon (IMO).

Point being, I can do a lot in post but would love to see some cell phone tech make it into the shot via settings for future drones.

Reactions: wa2ios
The smart phone camera differs from a drone in several ways. The drone’s camera mounted on a gimbal is constantly in motion counteracting the movements of the drone itself. To make this work well, the lenses are limited to wide angle, which shows the effect less obviously. GoPro takes the same approach.

This effect is there in high end DLSRS and smartphones as well. To get sharp images requires short exposures, or wide angle lenses to insure it. Even the most expensive stabilizers using heavy mechanics can reduce the problem some.
Agreed, its not apples to apples. with a 3 axis gimble on a drone but seems like we should be getting more bang for our buck by now out the hobbyist level drones... My guess is it will take more competition for pushing these features as there isn't a great demand with DJI to add stuff sitting on the top.

I think any camera drone could get a better shot than that if (and only if) it had an optical zoom (not digital)

Reactions: ericole and Len750
So I have a Samsung galaxy 20 and I am able to zoom in a lot with it... Based on the zoom, digital stabilizing and other software the phone is doing after I take the picture I can take pics like this. It is no High-end picture of the moon as we all have seen but... for a phone its pretty **** impressive.

My questions is, knowing that this tech exists exists in phones now I wonder if we will be seeing any of it in cameras like the Mavic 3 or others from DJ? Surely if phone cameras can do this stuff they should be looking at it from an IP stand point..

Thoughts?
Not a very good picture, but I can still see the lady in the moon, Wilma Flintstones profile center.

I agree....needs to be optical. Brings up other issues with having a drone with a good optical zoom re privacy.
Do we really think companies are limiting optical zoom specifically due to privacy? I do wonder why cant zoom in digitally sometimes on a picture but can on a video for the air2 etc.

20200523_040554.jpg
You can get much better pictures with your phone if you use the pro settings. This is my first attempt with my Note 10+. That being said, I'm going to be trying some night shots with my A2S but more than likely you will need to affix it to something. You will need too long of an exposure to get a steady shot with any drone as already stated.

View attachment 133983
You can get much better pictures with your phone if you use the pro settings. This is my first attempt with my Note 10+. That being said, I'm going to be trying some night shots with my A2S but more than likely you will need to affix it to something. You will need too long of an exposure to get a steady shot with any drone as already stated.
nice, man i love your lack of light pollution... here your lucky to see like 8-15 stars max.

, thanks for sharing!

Thoughts?
That's an OK picture but nothing like what a good full frame 64MP mirrorless camera with a telephoto will do. So I could ask you do you think phones will ever do this? It all comes down to specs, drones can do that right now if you have the right drone with a camera that has the right options. It's just very expensive. Attached is the last "blood moon"

Attachments

• Blood Moon during eclipse.jpg
    Blood Moon during eclipse.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
That's an OK picture but nothing like what a good full frame 64MP mirrorless camera with a telephoto will do. So I could ask you do you think phones will ever do this? It all comes down to specs, drones can do that right now if you have the right drone with a camera that has the right options. It's just very expensive. Attached is the last "blood moon"
Or even clearer like this.1373AE34-AB16-4F83-9FCE-97DD413617C5_1_105_c.jpeg

I think any camera drone could get a better shot than that if (and only if) it had an optical zoom (not digital)
That’s exactly what I whiz my mavic pro had. Unlike phones there is a lot more real estate in the camera housing for some mechanics.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d