DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iffy build quality.

Chris Baish

Reactions
I have to say the build quality feels like a step back to the original Mavic Mini.

They've clearly thinned out the plastic since the Mini 3 Pro and mine creaks at the joints and the plastic junctions visibly flex around.

Appreciate the need to save weight but to me the drone build itself is a step backwards in quality.

Maybe I got one that got assembled during the last shift on a Friday afternoon, but it leaves me ever so slightly disappointed before I've flown it.

The RC2 on the other hand is top notch.

I have to say the build quality feels like a step back to the original Mavic Mini.

They've clearly thinned out the plastic since the Mini 3 Pro and mine creaks at the joints and the plastic junctions visibly flex around.

Appreciate the need to save weight but to me the drone build itself is a step backwards in quality.

Maybe I got one that got assembled during the last shift on a Friday afternoon, but it leaves me ever so slightly disappointed before I've flown it.

After watching DC Rainmaker's video where he crashed his Mini 4 Pro four times without even a scratch, I'm not too worried. I'll withhold my judgment until I have mine in my hands tomorrow afternoon however.

After watching DC Rainmaker's video where he crashed his Mini 4 Pro four times without even a scratch, I'm not too worried. I'll withhold my judgment until I have mine in my hands tomorrow afternoon however.
Be interested to see what you think when you get it. I can live with it and it no doubt is robust, but just not a great feeling when you hold the drone to change the batteries and the whole thing creaks! I think part of the issue is where they've got some curved lines where the plastic panels meet, and if they're not perfectly aligned they move slightly due to the thin plastic.

Be interested to see what you think when you get it. I can live with it and it no doubt is robust, but just not a great feeling when you hold the drone to change the batteries and the whole thing creaks! I think part of the issue is where they've got some curved lined where the plastic panels meet, and if they're not perfectly aligned they move slightly due to the thin plastic.
Many people felt this way about the Mini 3 Pro as well, that the plastic felt "really cheap" but it has turned out to be very durable. I expect the Mini 4 to be the same. Fingers crossed.

Be interested to see what you think when you get it. I can live with it and it no doubt is robust, but just not a great feeling when you hold the drone to change the batteries and the whole thing creaks! I think part of the issue is where they've got some curved lines where the plastic panels meet, and if they're not perfectly aligned they move slightly due to the thin plastic.
At my age, I creak all the time too, so I am not too concerned... :)

I just took my first flight and she seems slightly better built than my Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro.
Took your first flight! Yer killing me. Mine was ordered the minute they became available and it has not left China LOL. I'll be amazed if I have it within a week and with customs issues won't be surprised if it's three.

Mine was ordered
I’ll watch this to see if you have shipping disasters like you previously had.
I can’t remember the details, but I do remember your temperature was pretty high.
I‘ll cross my fingers for you.

Got my Mini 4 Pro today. One of the "A" propellers would not move freely. Had to replace it with one of the spares and that fixed it. I noticed that the propeller screw slots on the screw head from the spare package were definitely smaller than the others already installed on the drone. Test flight seemed fine afterwards.

Reactions: Torque
Got my Mini 4 Pro today. One of the "A" propellers would not move freely. Had to replace it with one of the spares and that fixed it. I noticed that the propeller screw slots on the screw head from the spare package were definitely smaller than the others already installed on the drone. Test flight seemed fine afterwards.
Pictures please. I would like to see what you described.

It’s for weight like you said. I think DJI had no choice other than to put less good stuff in it if they wanted a thicker plastic. Based on some videos of the Mini 4 Pro crashing the light weight and flexibility of the plastic seemingly makes it very break resistant… it just doesn’t feel as nice.

Reactions: RangerEd
Sorry but this puppy has teething problems. I'm getting "battery overcurrent" warnings even while flying in "normal" mode. Battery life seems to be substantially less than my Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro and the 4 is a real dog against any kind of head wind. She's getting returned. No problems at all with my new Air 3 so that will continue to be my go-to drone.

Sorry but this puppy has teething problems. I'm getting "battery overcurrent" warnings even while flying in "normal" mode. Battery life seems to be substantially less than my Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro and the 4 is a real dog against any kind of head wind. She's getting returned. No problems at all with my new Air 3 so that will continue to be my go-to drone.
That's useful to know. Didn't get as far as flying mine due to the build quality issues. Shared a video with the retailer who agreed it didn't seem right, and they're collecting it tomorrow. Was in two minds whether to get a replacement or whether to trade up to the Air 3 instead. I'm starting to feel like Mini 3 Pro was the sweet spot and perhaps they're trying to achieve too much with the small form factor.

I felt this exact same way about the Mini 3 Pro as well. I appreciate the weight saving measures, but it felt more like a toy as opposed to something like the Air 3.

I was also disappointed with the stability in the windy places I fly, and the range I was getting in my particular flying locations.

I upgraded to the Air 3 and for my purposes this is the sweet spot with quality feel, two cameras, awesome range even in highly dense vegetation and windy areas.

YMMV.

the actual weight of the drone ,whether it be sub 250g or something like the Air 3 at around 725g ,can also play a big part ,in its survivability ,after an impact with something
mainly because, it suffers less damage ,on impact with the ground ,if it falls that far,
and when it comes to the Mini drones ,that perceived build quality, can also prevent structural forces from propagating,to other areas of the body shell ,if it allows the different parts to spring apart, instead of cracking,its all relative
i do aggree that after watching several YT posts, about the Mini 4 pro, that in many of them the fit and finish ,where the parts snap together, did seem to have an issue ,of course it could be that they were early production models ,but for me, they did not paint a very good picture,of the drones overall lifespan
its not really fair to compare the Mini 4 pro, to the Air 3 ,when it comes to the solid fit and finish that the Air 3 displays overal ,it is in a different league ,to the Mini drones

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edy44