DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ignorant Pilots not helping the hobby

TVC Pilot

Reactions
Saw a posting on the Neighborhood web site regarding a Mavic 2 a friend found in about 3 feet of water at the beach near their house. He said the lights were flashing when he found it. I suggested he get the battery out and place the drone where in might dry out. There was no name or registration number on the drone. Meantime I told him how he might find the owner. Well the next day he gets a call from a young person who lost the drone and stated that he was an FAA drone pilot, Part 107 I assume. He came over and picked up the drone. So here is a "part 107" pilot with no markings on the drone and worse yet, he was flying within a mile of an airport with a control tower, right under the approach to a runway. A runway I frequently use when I fly my Cessna 172. Not good!

It seems rather unlikely that a Part 107 pilot would be flying an unmarked aircraft. In terms of the location, if you mean KTVC, then it's Class D/E with authorization available up to 100 ft where the approach to 18 crosses the shore, so it might have been a legal flight.

Welcome to the forum @TVC Pilot
Are you a drone pilot too, or strictly a light aircraft pilot ?

I'd hazard a guess the young fellow is simply a hobbyist, probably did his hobbyist FAA test and registration, but neglected to label his drone as required.
Sometimes people erroneously label their drones inside the battery compartment.
Others might put a folder on the micro SD card with contact info.

The drone owner must have seen the post on the neighbourhood forum yes ?
If it was in 3' of sea water then it's probably going to have been totally flooded through and be toast anyway.
Surprising the battery hadn't shorted and the lights were still on.

It seems rather unlikely that a Part 107 pilot would be flying an unmarked aircraft. In terms of the location, if you mean KTVC, then it's Class D/E with authorization available up to 100 ft where the approach to 18 crosses the shore, so it might have been a legal flight.
That is what I thought, but he knew enough to claim he was an "FAA drone pilot" I assumed a part 107, even if he had just taken the recreational pilot test, he should have known better, AND followed the rules. I know one of the controllers at the tower, they don't routinely hand out waivers.

Welcome to the forum @TVC Pilot
Are you a drone pilot too, or strictly a light aircraft pilot ?

I'd hazard a guess the young fellow is simply a hobbyist, probably did his hobbyist FAA test and registration, but neglected to label his drone as required.
Sometimes people erroneously label their drones inside the battery compartment.
Others might put a folder on the micro SD card with contact info.

The drone owner must have seen the post on the neighbourhood forum yes ?
If it was in 3' of sea water then it's probably going to have been totally flooded through and be toast anyway.
Surprising the battery hadn't shorted and the lights were still on.
The owner saw the post, or heard about it in the neighborhood forum, yes. It was in fresh water and might have been there for a day or more, I was surprised that the lights were still flashing when they found it.

That is what I thought, but he knew enough to claim he was an "FAA drone pilot" I assumed a part 107, even if he had just taken the recreational pilot test, he should have known better, AND followed the rules. I know one of the controllers at the tower, they don't routinely hand out waivers.

I suspect he was claiming something he isn't. "FAA drone pilot" is not a meaningful statement. But, as I mentioned, other than the issue of an unmarked aircraft, he could have been flying within the rules. Airports don't issue waivers. In fact airports never issued waivers, even under the previous recreational rules. Currently all authorizations are made either through the LAANC system or, where that is not available (it is available for KTVC airspace) at the FAA DroneZone website.

The owner saw the post, or heard about it in the neighborhood forum, yes. It was in fresh water and might have been there for a day or more, I was surprised that the lights were still flashing when they found it.

Wow, a day + ?
Incredible, now that is a secure (and well sealed) M2 battery !!
Wonder if it may have had an aftermarket @Phantomrain.org 'wetsuit' fitted ?
That could explain it, but even then they can only work so long I imagine.

Usually they short within seconds, anbd batteries can't be used again (I wouldn't use this one either).
Being fresh water, some might go down the dry out the drone route, but I always think even fresh the likely long term corrosion and electronics is just too risky.
Maybe the owner had Care Refresh and could claim under that (a type of DJI insurance cover).

All the best and hope your airspace is safe again from here on.

If his details were attached on a sticker it may well have come off in the water. Also if he was doing anything illegal its unlikely he would have turned up to collect it.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69