DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm taking another try at this-how to process 26 image DNG pano

I did this 26 image drone shot in Adobe Camera Raw.
I doubt you did that in Adobe Camera Raw as that isn't a stitching program.
And if you are using any modern DJI drone, you can throw ACR away because Photoshop or Lightroom can work directly with the raw images.

@Dale D for stitching panos on a Mac OS as others have said, one of the best programs is PTGui. Hugin is also good and it is free but it's user interface is not as user friendly. I use PTGui to stitch the images into an Equirectangular pano (like the flat image you have above), then bring the image into Photoshop to fill in the sky and any other edits I need to do. I then scale the image to 10000 X 5000 pixels so that it will upload to Skypixel. To get the scrolling around effect you desire (VR pano), you usually need to upload an equirectangular pano to one of the sites that host them like the www.360cities.net site you mentioned.

Chris

I doubt you did that in Adobe Camera Raw as that isn't a stitching program.
And if you are using any modern DJI drone, you can throw ACR away because Photoshop or Lightroom can work directly with the raw images.
You can doubt all you like...I did it with Adobe Photoshop 2021 Creative Cloud exclusively.

You can doubt all you like...I did it with Adobe Photoshop 2021 Creative Cloud exclusively.
And I'm correct.
You did the stitching in Lightroom or Photoshop, not ACR.
ACR does not do stitching.
And since you have a recent DJI drone and you use a recent Adobe product, you don't need ACR at all.
It's a product from the old days before Adobe products could read the DJI raw files.
Your Adobe software reads DJI dng files without needing ACR to translate them.

Reactions: Chrislaf
I've been frustrated and feeling stupid with my new Mini 2 in the pano mode trying to achieve a globe 360 image using DNG files. The pano mode where I press the globe image produces both 26 JPG and 26 DNG images since I have set the RC to save the RAW files. But now, I still cannot process the 26 RAW images in Photoshop or Lightroom. I do not own other software for this such as Kuula. What does everyone do with these 26 images since the Mini 2 does not synthesize one automatically like my Mavic 2 Pro does. Need help.

Dale
On my iOS phone I use the THETA+ app from Ricoh for manipulating the pano shots.

@Meta4, your distinction doesn’t seem to make a difference.

In common usage, ACR is a plugin engine and feature set that is included in Photoshop and Lightroom. The ACR window opens automatically on opening a supported raw file in Photoshop, and comprises the Develop module in Lightroom.

Here is Adobe’s latest brag (link) on ACR, updated 4/2021. And, yes, Adobe calls Adobe Camera Raw part of Photoshop. It hasn’t gone away. ACR in Photoshop, stitching in Photoshop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrislaf
In common usage, ACR is a plugin engine and feature set that is included in Photoshop and Lightroom. The ACR window opens automatically on opening a supported raw file in Photoshop, and comprises the Develop module in Lightroom.

Here is Adobe’s latest brag (link) on ACR, updated 4/2021. And, yes, Adobe calls Adobe Camera Raw part of Photoshop. It hasn’t gone away. ACR in Photoshop, stitching in Photoshop.
I am not going to be forced to bring up the windows and show and tell to prove my point. I have more important things to do. All I know is that I do it all the time. I open the RAW images in Bridge, right click on one of the images, hit CTRL+A (select all), then the images all open in ACR. For these images, I select all>right click on one of them>select merge to Panorama, and voila, I have my panorama. I do so minor work such as filling in the sky blanks with content aware fill, and then open the final image, which becomes a jpg.

Sorry @Dale D , I’m trying to support you here. Not too well, apparently!

I’ll edit to clarify.

I am not going to be forced to bring up the windows and show and tell to prove my point. I have more important things to do. All I know is that I do it all the time. I open the RAW images in Bridge, right click on one of the images, hit CTRL+A (select all), then the images all open in ACR. For these images, I select all>right click on one of them>select merge to Panorama, and voila, I have my panorama. I do so minor work such as filling in the sky blanks with content aware fill, and then open the final image, which becomes a jpg.
Dale ... ACR is the module that opens dng files for Adobe software.
It used to be an additional program that you installed, but nowdays it's built-in.
It doesn't and has never been able to do stitching.

I agree with both Meta4 and SethB. I have the photographers package from Adobe (Lightroom and Photoshop) and use it on my Mac and occasionally on Windows 10 and the only time I ever deal with ACR is when it needs to update the plug-in, otherwise it is completely invisible and integrated into both Lightroom and Photoshop as indicated by SethB above. I do use Lightroom and Photoshop to stitch panos when I am not using PTGui but ACR is never involved in the stitching process as stated by Meta4.

Unless you are using old outdated Adobe software, I cannot see how you could be opening images in ACR as a separate program on a Mac.

Chris

I agree with both Meta4 and SethB. I have the photographers package from Adobe (Lightroom and Photoshop) and use it on my Mac and occasionally on Windows 10 and the only time I ever deal with ACR is when it needs to update the plug-in, otherwise it is completely invisible and integrated into both Lightroom and Photoshop as indicated by SethB above. I do use Lightroom and Photoshop to stitch panos when I am not using PTGui but ACR is never involved in the stitching process as stated by Meta4.

Unless you are using old outdated Adobe software, I cannot see how you could be opening images in ACR as a separate program on a Mac.

Chris
OK guys- here is a step by step of my work flow (this all took me 30 minutes) . This is Adobe Photoshop CC 2021 with most recent updates.

Please review steps 1 through 6
1. All images loaded into Adobe Bridge (note these are DNG images)
2. Select all - highlighted in blue (CTRL+A)
3. right click any image and then-open in Camera RAW (see red arrow)
4. drop down menu- Merge to Panorama. (see red arrow)
5. Panorama Merge Review- Here you can make adjustments for sky fill, etc. Then hit "merge"
6. Final Image

Open the first image (Step 1) and then scroll through the images with the right arrow on the right side)

I would now like an apology from you guys.

Dale
Step 1 Photoshop>Bridge.jpgStep 2-select all (blue).jpgStep 3-Open in Camera RAW.jpgStep 4-Merge to Panorama.jpgStep 5-Panorama Merge Review.jpgStep 5-Panorama Merge Review.jpg

Attachments

• Step 6- Final Image save as JPG.jpg
    Step 6- Final Image save as JPG.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Hi Dale D.

Also, have tried stitching the full 26 JPEGS together? If that also fails, it may be an indication that one of the 26 files are not overlapping correctly, and LR is failing to figure out how to stitch them together. If the JPEGs stitch together but not the RAW files, then this suggests that maybe a single RAW file is bad, or the files themselves are OK, and there is another problem (perhaps insufficient memory on the computer)​

Another troubleshooting technique I have used to address cases where LR CC does not stitch properly is to do the pano in stages. Gove that a try. For example, you could try stitching say half of the 26 DNGs into one pano, and the remaining half in a separate pano. Then try stitching these two partial panos together. I have found that sometimes LR (I use LR Classic CC) fails to stitch large images, but then this piecemeal approach works sometimes If say the 1st 13 stitch together, but not the last 13 (example only), then it may be a problem with one of the last 13 files files. You could keep trying multiple attempts and sequences of images, using fewer and fewer files until a successful partial pano is achieved.​

Hey Dale. Just saw you 'step-by-step' after I posted my most recent suggestion. Are you saying that it works in Bridge / Photoshop CC, but not LR? I am confused?

@Dale D maybe this will help explain things.

and this

Dale in your example above Adobe Bridge (like Lightroom or Photoshop) is what is merging your images to a pano, not ACR.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4
Hey Dale. Just saw you 'step-by-step' after I posted my most recent suggestion. Are you saying that it works in Bridge / Photoshop CC, but not LR? I am confused?
Dear Apeel:

It has nothing to do with Lightroom. I did the entire process in Photoshop and Adobe Bridge. To my way of teaching (from Colin Smith- Photoshop Cafe) the photo merge engines are identical cal in Photoshop and Lightroom. I only use Lightroom for timelapse sequences. Its probably works the same in Lightroom but I didn't try it there.

I have trouble sorting out from the 26 files which ones to work on at a time. I am talking about looking at all 26 files on bridge. Go back to my first slide (step 1) and double click on it to make it full screen, and you tell me which of these you would work on? It's crazy and impossible for me.

Again- in Photoshop CC 2021- open Bridge
1) load DNG (RAW) images from the SD card folder into Adobe Bridge
2) select All. (CTRL+A)
3) right click on any image-get a drop down menu- click Merge to Panormama
4) get a merged file which you can tweak with the settings to add sky, etc.
5) Merge- gives you the merged image

I have also tried all of the other suggestions- e.g.: to eliminate imagers that do not belong, do smallgrousp at a time, try only three or four images.

My standard horizontal high resolution panorama with the drone is done as I have previously described- e.g.: three shots with 30 per cent (%) overlap. Save these files, DNG (thus, "save high Rez files in the settings.). Use these 3 files as above in the same process- In Bridge- select all- right click and merge to panorama.

Bridge, Photoshop, and LR merge the images into the pano but you need ACR to open the RAW images. It’s included as a plug-in as part of the software.

Chris

Do you know of any panorama stitching programs for Mac OS???
I use PTGUI Pro, which is amazing but a bit expensive.

Affinity Photo will handle panoramas (and is an excellent Photoshop replacement, and only $30 right now). Download the free trial and see if it works for you.

I used to use Hugin, which is free but occasionally would produce weird artifacts that changing the output size would eliminate — if I noticed them in time. I got tired of poring over gigapixel panoramas and bought PTGUI.

Others have provided a lot of good advice. As others have said, process the raw images first before trying to stitch them together. With RAW you're asking your computer to do a lot. Also @Meta4 said, there is no need to shoot panos in raw. I concur.
On Mini 2 there is need to shoot pano in raw. Mini cuts jpg files to 1.5MB -> pano from jpgs has only +-18mpx, from raw +-60mpx. 360° is much greater difference.

I've been frustrated and feeling stupid with my new Mini 2 in the pano mode trying to achieve a globe 360 image using DNG files. The pano mode where I press the globe image produces both 26 JPG and 26 DNG images since I have set the RC to save the RAW files. But now, I still cannot process the 26 RAW images in Photoshop or Lightroom. I do not own other software for this such as Kuula. What does everyone do with these 26 images since the Mini 2 does not synthesize one automatically like my Mavic 2 Pro does. Need help.

Dale
WOW! It doesn’t stitch on board? Why have a feature you can’t use?
I was going to try this on my Pro 2, but haven’t, yet.
that really would stink, that it has the ability to take the images, but doesn’t have the ability in app, to stitch everything together…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead