DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm taking another try at this-how to process 26 image DNG pano

I stand corrected. PanoramaStudio 3 Pro loads them just fine is what I should have said but when you go to save the final rnder there is no option to save as a DNG so you can later edit it in Photoshop or Lightroom. Highest resolution I see is a TIFF.

I tried with Affinity Photo and the final photo was not a 360 photo. This is what I got from that.
View attachment 133182
You are correct, I got the same image in Affinity, sorry.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Reactions: merak75
That's got nothing to do with the stitching.
That's to do with the viewing software.

Any stitching software can stitch a 360° panoramic image.
Very few also have viewing software to display it like that.
But there are many websites etc that offer it.
There is no way that can be uploaded to a 360 hosting site and get a spherical photo. Download that photo and try and see what you get.

There is no way that can be uploaded to a 360 hosting site and get a spherical photo. Download that photo and try and see what you get.
The overlap just needs to be trimmed
The input to the 360° viewing site just needs to be a rectangle twice as wide as it is high.

Are you sure? PanoramaStudio 3 Pro loads DNG's just fine for me. Stitched your files just fine.
Panorama Stitcher and Affinity Photo stitched it fine too. Lightroom messed it up for me, not sure why.
When you said lightroom messed it up for you did you get a image? Did it ask you for a lens profile first before starting?

That's got nothing to do with the stitching.
That's to do with the viewing software.

Any stitching software can stitch a 360° panoramic image.
Very few also have viewing software to display it like that.
But there are many websites etc that offer it.
Are you sure about that? One is a 4π solid angle spherical projection while the other is an unclosed planar projection. I don't see how the latter can be converted to the former just by changing the viewing method.

Are you sure about that? One is a 4π solid angle spherical projection while the other is an unclosed planar projection. I don't see how the latter can be converted to the former just by changing the viewing method.
Yes ... that's how it works.
Like this:

Yes ... that's how it works.
Like this:
That's an interesting example - so you just fed a planar 360° pano to the Skypixel website. It has certainly made a decent attempt to convert planar to a spherical projection, but going via a planar projection does have clear disadvantages over the direct construction of a spherical projection from the individual tiles, in terms of image distortion.

That's an interesting example - so you just fed a planar 360° pano to the Skypixel website. It has certainly made a decent attempt to convert planar to a spherical projection, but going via a planar projection does have clear disadvantages over the direct construction of a spherical projection from the individual tiles, in terms of image distortion.
That's the standard method for lots of 360 sites.
Here's one that displays better:

That's the standard method for lots of 360 sites.
Here's one that displays better:
That's a beautiful pano. But notice the image distortion as you pan it up and down - the buildings get taller as you look down and they move up in the field of view. That doesn't happen in a spherical projection, such as the one on the webpage I linked above, and is an artifact of converting a planar projection back to a spherical one.

I stand corrected. PanoramaStudio 3 Pro loads them just fine is what I should have said but when you go to save the final rnder there is no option to save as a DNG so you can later edit it in Photoshop or Lightroom. Highest resolution I see is a TIFF.

I tried with Affinity Photo and the final photo was not a 360 photo. This is what I got from that.
View attachment 133182
Look for a color depth option when saving/exporting. TIFF files can have 16-bit per color channel. If you have that option available it would be uncompressed with color resolution equivalent to DNG, fine for taking into Photoshop.

Disclaimer: I don’t know a thing about Affinity!

That's a beautiful pano. But notice the image distortion as you pan it up and down - the buildings get taller as you look down and they move up in the field of view. That doesn't happen in a spherical projection, such as the one on the webpage I linked above, and is an artifact of converting a planar projection back to a spherical one.
I believe you’re seeing a player artifact, not a problem with the stitch.

Any flat view of a spherical pano wider than about 110-deg can look like that. If you zoom in a little on Meta4’s Kuula image it straightens out.

Look for a color depth option when saving/exporting. TIFF files can have 16-bit per color channel. If you have that option available it would be uncompressed with color resolution equivalent to DNG, fine for taking into Photoshop.

Disclaimer: I don’t know a thing about Affinity!
Thanks, very useful info on the TIFF files. I did not know they would be almost the same as a DNG to edit in lightroom or Photoshop. That was my only reason trying to do the whole process in Photoshop was to keep the DNG final render to edit.

Thanks to everyone who answered or tried to answer my questions. This post got kind of hi-jacked from the OP so if I have any other questions I will for sure start my on post. After all the solutions I have decided to just use PanoramaStudio 3 Pro as it loads DNG files just fine and outputs them as TIFF file for later editing in Photoshop or Lightroom.
In case anyone is interested in the final photo you can find it here.

Reactions: merak75
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123