DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inspire X5s vs M2P

LeeHene

Reactions
Guys,
I've had a Mavic 2 Pro for about a year now and I really enjoy flying it. (It's a WHOLE lot easier than my years prior with non-gps quads.)

I plan to get my 107 to help with my wife's photography business, but I've really not been blown away by the image quality I'm seeing from it. There again, I'm used to seeing stuff from a Canon 5D mark 4.

I've been presented the opportunity to purchase a gently used Inspire 2 with an X5s, all Prores and CinnDNG liscense, two pairs of batteries and a few sets of carbon fiber props for $2500.

Will I see much difference in the quality of RAW images between my M2P and the X5s?

I appreciate any feedback from those of you who have both. Thank you!

Attachments

• I2.jpg
    I2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Reactions: Thanohano44
I2 is a different platform. Certainly not as easy to use as the m2pro.
I’m not the pixel peeper, so I‘m probably not the one to judge the difference on pictures. The ability to swap lenses is a real plus.

@LeeHene with the inspire you are entering a whole new world ,with all aspects of the drone ,from the batteries ,to the size or the airframe, to the cameras ability to pan and if you really have a use for such a drone then for the price you are getting a bargain ,just remember everything for the drone has an increased cost over the Mavic, good luck with your endeavours, might be a good idea to join the inspire forum and get some insight into what ownership really entails

Comparing a $2,600 DSLR body and $1,500 lens to a Mavic 2 Pro, I would hope you see a difference. But will you see a significant difference in drones?

I've always said that I can produce professional quality with a good point & shoot, given the time to edit the image and the time required to go through a P & S menu while shooting. I've owned Nikon's top of the line DSLR, D4 and their best lenses. My wife has a Sony point & shoot, RX100 VII ($1,200), that I've used for images hung in my living room. The difference is the ease in using a DSLR and the lenses. Setting the same parameters with a P&S takes time. If you see the prints side by side it would be difficult to choose the camera used.

Since sharpness, contrast and color are most important to a photographer, I would ask the seller to email you a few RAW and jpeg files to look at and edit. Them compare them to your MA2 Pro.

Reactions: Starz
I appreciate the feedback. Settings are indeed critical to getting a good photo. I've never even tried auto mode for the camera on my Mavic. ?

The seller does topography and surveying so I'm not sure if they have any RAW files to offer. (I actually started talking to him as he was working across the street from my place.)

*Canon 5D, not D5. It was a loooong day yesterday.

Attachments

• 20200910_143107.jpg
    20200910_143107.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Will I see much difference in the quality of RAW images between my M2P and the X5s?
The sensor of the X5 is four times as big as the Mavic 2 pro's.
Yes .. that makes a big difference in image quality.
Bigger pixels, more dynamic range and better low light performance.
Interchangeable lenses are a plus as well.

But it's a significant step backwards in easy portability and convenience.

I love my M2P, but like you, I've been disappointed in results compared to my DSLR camera use.

If I could see my way to it (money wise), I would jump at the chance to have such an Inspire package. It's not just the better sensor and the ability to change focal lengths with lens changes, but the quality of lenses in respect to edge distortion and chromatic aberration (not to mention sharpness),

Also, I don't want to get into the discussion of being able to distinguish between DSLR and P&S images, but when you start processing your images with a mind for commercial use and fine-art printing for clients, at pro labs that can print finer detail and produce much larger print sizes than your home printer, you start to realize why professionals do not use P&S camera. For hobby photography, knock yourself out.

As a photographer that loves having my tripod in the sky, losing the portability factor of the Mavic is a no brainer. I drive to most of my locations anyway, and convenience isn't a factor for getting higher fidelity, professional quality imagery. (Read: I would trade the advantages of compactness for much better image quality in a heartbeat.)

Chris

Great input guys, thank you!
To clarify, I wouldn't be ditching my Mavic 2 for the Inspire 2, I'd have both.

It's a huge investment that would have to be able to bring money in. I justified the M2P by telling myself it could be a hobby flier if nothing else. The Inspire would indeed be a whole different ball game. ?

If you decide not to, give me the guy's number. ;-)

Reactions: brett8883
Great input guys, thank you!
To clarify, I wouldn't be ditching my Mavic 2 for the Inspire 2, I'd have both.

It's a huge investment that would have to be able to bring money in. I justified the M2P by telling myself it could be a hobby flier if nothing else. The Inspire would indeed be a whole different ball game. ?
Well it’s probably unlikely to that it makes sense business wise other than you could sell it online for double or triple what he’s asking unless you are confident you can get film production work. I see more people going from the I2 to the M2Pro than the other way around.

Well it’s probably unlikely to that it makes sense business wise other than you could sell it online for double or triple what he’s asking unless you are confident you can get film production work.

I personally would jump on it (if I could afford it) for fine art still photography work, not video. It's a far better platform for that than the M2P is as well.

IMHO the Inspire2 is WAY overkill for Real Estate photography and going to be a huge PITA setting up etc. While yes the camera is a LOT better you're still just doing RE photography and you're limited by the MLS etc what you can upload.

It's like buying a high end sports car to go and get your groceries. Yes it will do the job but it's way overkill.

Disregard all the above.. My bad :)

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't see any mention of real estate up to now.
OOPS! I'm guilty of having too many windows open at once and "mixing" my thoughts.

Sorry gang ignore any Real Estate mention :) My bad :)

Reactions: old man mavic
As said before, it's a great price for that set-up. If your wife already has a photography business, I'm sure you could find uses to put it to and make back your purchase price. Just make sure you have your Part 107 (I didn't see whether or not you have that, just a mention of hobby photography), and perhaps add it to her business insurance. For that price, I don't think you can go wrong.

it is a great price. I did have the inspire range and used them so rarely i ended up selling them off while they were still worth a dollar. The portability of the mav2s is just to good and the 2 pro camera was the nail in the coffin for my inspires. I did love flying inspires, it is a very impressive craft with a great camera. I just couldnt justify that much hardware sitting on the shelf 99% of the time.

it is a great price. I did have the inspire range and used them so rarely i ended up selling them off while they were still worth a dollar. The portability of the mav2s is just to good and the 2 pro camera was the nail in the coffin for my inspires. I did love flying inspires, it is a very impressive craft with a great camera. I just couldnt justify that much hardware sitting on the shelf 99% of the time.

You took the words out of my mouth. I use my inspire for work as well as my phantom 4 v2 pro. I also have a M2P, MA2 and MM. they all have their place. The latter 3 drones that i have mentioned was to teach my kids to fly and well as a hobby. I got my Inspire 2 from a friend going through a divorce at a price similar to yours. It’s such a great deal, you should get it and learn to use it. My M2P was my first drone. Than i got the P4PV2. Than the Inspire2. Than the MM and then the MA2 in exchange for what was owed to from a customer down on his luck during Covid19.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31