DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Introducing- the Vindibox... Poor-man's FPV goggles for those 43yrs and older

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
There are just those super-bright sunny days when the great PGYtech screen hoods aren't good enough to see your screen. Yes, there are commercial screen hoods available. But in the spirit self-reliance, of innovation, love of DIY projects and just all-out cheapness (I'd rather spend my money on other toys) I present to you the Vindibox: The screen hood for those 43 years of age and older. No longer do you have to attach a giant iPad to your controller to see what's going on! Easy to transport, the Vindibox folds flat for easy storage in your backpack or medium size carrying case.

If you're older than 43 you know what presbyopia is (no, it's not a religion ?). You need need to see your screen, but when you duck your head toward the opening you're so darn close you can't see what the screen says without your reading glasses. No problem. The Vindibox solves that with its patented flip-up magnifiers. Even in the up position there is plenty of room to see around them, but when you need a close up view, just pop your head down to eliminate all the outside light to get a perfect view of your screen. It comes standard with a removable flip-up flap at the bottom for easy finger access to the screen. This possibly is the next best thing to poor-man's FPV goggles ? !

And so, without further adieu, I bring you THE VINDIBOX! Not coming to store near you.
vindibox.jpg

Last edited:
I love inventiveness, but where did you find that light blue pond to fly over with all those funny looking, multi-colored square rafts?

The rafts are Apple-rafts or iRafts... I confuse them so often these days, from the good ship MacIntosh... floating out to sea, looking for new ideas.

But in all seriousness, this extension works great. I haven't had to use it but once or twice and I finished modifying it today. If I'm practicing mid-day sometimes I can't see the screen of my iPhone 6s Plus at all without something like it. FWIW, it's mounted (via velcro) to a PGY Tech screen shade. Sometimes the PGY thingy needs some extra help.

The rafts are Apple-rafts or iRafts... I confuse them so often these days, from the good ship MacIntosh... floating out to sea, looking for new ideas.

But in all seriousness, this extension works great. I haven't had to use it but once or twice and I finished modifying it today. If I'm practicing mid-day sometimes I can't see the screen of my iPhone 6s Plus at all without something like it. FWIW, it's mounted (via velcro) to a PGY Tech screen shade. Sometimes the PGY thingy needs some extra help.

doe it have a cut out so you can reach the touch screen ?

cool invention, kind of looks like something that came in the sunday paper a few years ago: google cardboard: poor persons VR headset that folded and held your phone and displayed VR content (in this case from the NY Times). I have some old dive masks, maybe with some silicone.....

cool adaptation, very creative.

Saw something awhile back that looked like a pair of shop goggles painted black with a slot on the side where your smartphone was inserted. Didn’t buy it.

There are just those super-bright sunny days when the great PGYtech screen hoods aren't good enough to see your screen. Yes, there are commercial screen hoods available. But in the spirit self-reliance, of innovation, love of DIY projects and just all-out cheapness (I'd rather spend my money on other toys) I present to you the Vindibox: The screen hood for those 43 years of age and older. No longer do you have to attach a giant iPad to your controller to see what's going on! Easy to transport, the Vindibox folds flat for easy storage in your backpack or medium size carrying case.

If you're older than 43 you know what presbyopia is (no, it's not a religion ?). You need need to see your screen, but when you duck your head toward the opening you're so darn close you can't see what the screen says without your reading glasses. No problem. The Vindibox solves that with its patented flip-up magnifiers. Even in the up position there is plenty of room to see around them, but when you need a close up view, just pop your head down to eliminate all the outside light to get a perfect view of your screen. It comes standard with a removable flip-up flap at the bottom for easy finger access to the screen. This possibly is the next best thing to poor-man's FPV goggles ? !

And so, without further adieu, I bring you THE VINDIBOX! Not coming to store near you.
View attachment 109421
Obviously high tech carbon fiber hybrid?! Great idea & thanks for sharing, I’m making a Vindibox today!

doe it have a cut out so you can reach the touch screen ?
Yes it does! It has a flap that lifts up at the bottom. The box in the photo had been modified just minutes before I photographed it. While it had the flap and hole for the finger it was about 3/4" deeper than the phone, making it difficult to reach the top of the screen. Made it less deep and while doing so made one side attach via velcro rather than fully taped. While it folded fairly flat before not it can fold totally flat if needed.

FWIW the structure was based on a carton from some small Perier cans, then taped on both sizes with gaffers tape. It's attached to the PGY screen shade with velco. And of course the PGY screen attaches securly to the phone. The thing cost (sans PGY screen) cost about $1 to make- Perier water not included :). I had a pair of old reading glasses where the temples had broken off. I put male velcro along the top of the glasses, and female inside the box. The width was a perfect match. So by being attached by velco I can fold the glasses down if needed and flip them up. But there is so much room to see with the glasses in place I tend to just leave them up. Being able to get my face inches from the screen and still see it sharply can be a real help.

Reactions: CapnJim
I'm so glad I had it with me today. Super bright out. I started just with the PGY shade, but the sun was just simply too much. The box really helped. Maybe one day I'll be rich enough or have enough money saved for the Crystal Sky but at this point my iPhone 6sPlus is what I have until I inherit an XsMax in about 6 months. Perhaps I'll buy a gen4 iPad Mini along the way? Anyhoo... With no real materials at all other than gaffers tape, velcro and a soda carton I was able to construct a real useful tool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne