DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The most annoying part of flying the Avata

Amit Dunsky

Reactions
Site
www.facebook.com
I don't know about you, but as much as I like flying the Avata, and as much as the FPV experience is so different than using a traditional RC, for me, the most annoying thing is the separation from the environment when putting the goggles on. I don't know who's hanging around near me, maybe staring at me, maybe trying to get his hands on my gear while I can't see it, I just don't feel safe with that on...
I found myself putting the drone on hold whenever I think someone is in close proximity to me, taking off the goggles, and looking around. Alternatively, I'm looking for an isolated areas to fly, where people aren't there that much. Sometime, I just hook my phone to the goggles, and use it as an alternative screen.

Do you also find it bothersome/annoying, or is it just me? 🫤

Reactions: Surge and Torque
Have a visual observer / bodyguard with you when you fly.

Especially when flying with goggles to keep yourself safe.

I have the same issue and have found that perching in a secure location is the most suitable solution. Somewhere you can't be easily approached without being alerted. I also try to keep the drone in such a position that I can periodically scan the area by flying the drone to key places where I can see if anyone is nearby. If it's going to take someone 5 minutes to walk across a field toward me, I will see them with the drone. It will be nice in the future when the DJI Goggles are more like Apple Vision Pro and we won't have this issue any longer.

@Amit Dunsky i think that those feelings of vulnerability when flying a drone alone ,are not just confined to using goggles for FPV, although the immersive nature of what you can actually see ,is greater than without them on ,it is unfortunately a part of lone drone flying

...Do you also find it bothersome/annoying, or is it just me? 🫤
Exclusively fly Quad FPV since a couple years back... this as the flying that make me tick more than photography.

It's kind of the name of the game to fly a bit out & away from others, this as I go low (1-20m) & fast, so usually not many passing by... but remember the feeling from the early days. That feeling have now since long been replaced with a feeling that "no one can sneak up on me" now when I have air superiority... look back into my own direction so often during a flight & see everything from above so I spot approaching people from several hundred meters away. If I know that others are forced to pass by me close, I usually keep track on them through my quad. Have actually had several friendly talks with others still flying & just hovered the quad at ground level to act as my eyes... a bit funny how they can't decide if they should look at me for eye contact or the quad.

With time you get used to it...

Last edited:
Fortunately I have a buddy with an Avata and we fly together, taking turns spotting for fully legal (USA) flights. And the feeling of safety.
Those few times I fly alone I take my 3 Giant dogs with me. The Greyhound, smallest and friendliest, does nothing but stand tall. The Scottish Deerhound and the Irish Wolfhound mix will both sound an alarm as soon as anyone is within 20 ft of the car. The 3 of them appear quite intimidating and will keep most people at a distance.

Fortunately I have a buddy with an Avata and we fly together, taking turns spotting for fully legal (USA) flights. And the feeling of safety.
Those few times I fly alone I take my 3 Giant dogs with me. The Greyhound, smallest and friendliest, does nothing but stand tall. The Scottish Deerhound and the Irish Wolfhound mix will both sound an alarm as soon as anyone is within 20 ft of the car. The 3 of them appear quite intimidating and will keep most people at a distance.
LOL, I take 9 friends with me.... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: projectilesam
I don't know about you, but as much as I like flying the Avata, and as much as the FPV experience is so different than using a traditional RC, for me, the most annoying thing is the separation from the environment when putting the goggles on. I don't know who's hanging around near me, maybe staring at me, maybe trying to get his hands on my gear while I can't see it, I just don't feel safe with that on...
I found myself putting the drone on hold whenever I think someone is in close proximity to me, taking off the goggles, and looking around. Alternatively, I'm looking for an isolated areas to fly, where people aren't there that much. Sometime, I just hook my phone to the goggles, and use it as an alternative screen.

Do you also find it bothersome/annoying, or is it just me? 🫤
its not just you. i try my best to have a friend or someone with me if i intend to go into public spaces. you can say i learnt my lesson. i had a customized marvel water bottle stolen the last time i flew in a public space alone. sad part, am in a wheelchair and the flask was hanging from one of the push handles. wiser now. stay careful sir

I got the Avata but haven't really flown it because I don't have anyone to fly with. I feel awkward flying with the goggles on and not being able to observe my surroundings.
To your comment as well as OP's- flying from within a car is not an option? I know nothing of Avatas, is there a signal/range concern with this?

I have the same issue and have found that perching in a secure location is the most suitable solution. Somewhere you can't be easily approached without being alerted. I also try to keep the drone in such a position that I can periodically scan the area by flying the drone to key places where I can see if anyone is nearby. If it's going to take someone 5 minutes to walk across a field toward me, I will see them with the drone. It will be nice in the future when the DJI Goggles are more like Apple Vision Pro and we won't have this issue any longer.
I have a feeling the DJI Fly app will be adapted for use with Apple Vision Pro, third party developers are getting their apps together now for the spring launch next year.

OK, So I now know It isn't just my feeling that the isolation imposed when wearing the goggles is somewhat disturbing. I do hope (although find it hard to truly believe) DJI will address this issue. Maybe add some sensors to the goggles and have it indicate someone is at or near you surroundings, maybe add tiny cameras that can let the user see who's hanging around...

Reactions: Torque
OK, So I now know It isn't just my feeling that the isolation imposed when wearing the goggles is somewhat disturbing. I do hope (although find it hard to truly believe) DJI will address this issue. Maybe add some sensors to the goggles and have it indicate someone is at or near you surroundings, maybe add tiny cameras that can let the user see who's hanging around...
Out of curiosity, how much are you willing to pay for this "tiny" modification. I'd like to know in both $$$ and size of goggles, please. :)

Out of curiosity, how much are you willing to pay for this "tiny" modification. I'd like to know in both $$$ and size of goggles, please. :)
I would gladly purchase a new goggles altogether, provided it tackles my concerns.
As for size: the current size of the Integra is just about right for me. To put into perspective: The Goggles V2 are a little bit on the bigger size for my preference.

When flying an FPV drone, isn't it required to have a spotter since you don't have VLOS when the goggles are on? Or does the view from inside the goggles count as VLOS? If the latter, then how do you know if you're beyond VLOS from the perspective of a viewer not wearing goggles on the ground at your location? I always thought that FPV meant you needed a spotter. No?

Reactions: okw
When flying an FPV drone, isn't it required to have a spotter since you don't have VLOS when the goggles are on? Or does the view from inside the goggles count as VLOS? If the latter, then how do you know if you're beyond VLOS from the perspective of a viewer not wearing goggles on the ground at your location? I always thought that FPV meant you needed a spotter. No?
Legally you have to have a spotter positioned close to you, unless you are flying FPV indoors.

Reactions: Xitor and Moozer
I fly in isolated areas in the mountains where there are no people to deal with. However, the feeling of being vulnerable does not escape me as I have other things to consider such as bears, cougars and wolves. Perhaps the occasional Sasquatch too?

Legally you have to have a spotter positioned close to you, unless you are flying FPV indoors.
Yup.

And then there's reality, where virtually no one flies FPV regularly with a spotter, including members here and over @ fpvpilots.com. And no one wants to admit as such on record, having memorialized the evidence here.

It's just so much Kabuki Theater. Emperor Wears No Clothes. Counter-productive to the objective of safety. If we could actually talk openly about how we're all actually operating our aircraft, ask and answer questions, etc., public safety would benefit, IMO.

And yet, it must be the correct rule, seeing as all those spotters surely are the reason there have been virtually no FPV incidents over the years. 🙄

Human beings are inherently hypocrites. Here's how we control speed on residential streets:

The speed limit is 25mph. This is close to universal across the US.

Everyone goes 25-30. It's a safe, reasonable speed. Accidents are relatively rare. Going 23 instead of 28 makes virtually no difference when an accident happens.

LEOs almost never ticket anyone for going between 25 and 30mph. It's treated as acceptable error. Go to court and you’ll probably be let off for a 27mph ticket – speedometer are only required by the NHTSA to be accurate to 2mph, so you can say it read 25.

So why don't we just raise the limit to 30?

'Cause then everyone would go 35 😁

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman