DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad and Mavic Pro

formav

Reactions
Can you use the iPad (5th generation), 9.7" Wi-Fi only model with the Mavic Pro or do you have to have one with cellular service?

You can use any of the Apple devices listed here.

If using a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you'll be able to do everything except use the Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Those features required GPS on the mobile device (which means you need a cellular Apple model).

Is it possible to use the GPS function if using your cellphone as a hot spot with your iPad?

No.

Can you use the iPad (5th generation), 9.7" Wi-Fi only model with the Mavic Pro or do you have to have one with cellular service?

I am in a Verizon store right now about to buy that same iPad. I figure with my biz I have enough need for the cell version. Plus, Verizon has lowered that tablet $200 for the 128gb (probably until beginning of February is what sales guy says).

I've been using my cellphone as a "hotspot" for my Ipad with no issues.
It's important to note that only the Internet connection can be shared over a hotspot. It won't allow the features I noted above to be used.

For wifi only devices there are at least two Bluetooth GPS Receivers (Garmin GLO Portable GPS and GLONASS Receiver & Dual Electronics XGPS150A Multipurpose Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver) both on Amazon that you can pair with your iPad via Bluetooth. Those units run $80 - $125. They are portable and can be attached to your belt or other. BTW...you CANNOT share the aGPS on a cellular device via "hotspot", it doesn't work that way, never has and never will.

I am in a Verizon store right now about to buy that same iPad. I figure with my biz I have enough need for the cell version. Plus, Verizon has lowered that tablet $200 for the 128gb (probably until beginning of February is what sales guy says).

Whoa! I'm paying AT&T $520 for an iPad Mini 4 ($26/month for 20 months) with cellular service, plus $10/month. BTW, cellular service does not mean you can use it as a phone, which I'm sure you know. BTW#2 the ability to change the Home Point is IMO well worth paying for cellular.

I watched a video of a man walking on a beach. He stopped to wait for his Phantom 4 to come to him but it did not do so. He was sure it had flown away. But immediately upon changing his position enough to make 15 meters, he could hear it descending toward him. :)

Yes, you do not need service to use the gps on any cellular device.

Don’t get the iPads from cellphone companies, I get my iPad mini 4 gold from eBay gps only 32 GB I never ran out of space,since I have SD Card on mavic too, and only HD 1080 can be recorded true phone [ iPad or any device ] and I paid 300 for it , of course is used , but on excellent condition

Are you sure the moving "Me" Home Point does not require cellular service?
It does require a cellular device (if using an Apple device). The cellular service does not have to be activated though.

I’m not sure l understand well the hotspot limitation. I connect my Ipad Mini 4 to the Mavic RC to benefit from its large screen and then connect the ipad wifi to my iphone 5S for Internet connectivity and I do have updated maps in DJI Go 4 app. So I’m under the impression I have GPS connectivity... no?

Maps are not GPS. The device hooked to the controller must has a physical GPS to use CERTAIN features. Not really an issue for most of us.

So I’m under the impression I have GPS connectivity... no?
No. The location of the Mavic on the map is reported by the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

Reactions: MBauduin
For wifi only devices there are at least two Bluetooth GPS Receivers (Garmin GLO Portable GPS and GLONASS Receiver & Dual Electronics XGPS150A Multipurpose Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver) both on Amazon that you can pair with your iPad via Bluetooth. Those units run $80 - $125. They are portable and can be attached to your belt or other. BTW...you CANNOT share the aGPS on a cellular device via "hotspot", it doesn't work that way, never has and never will.

Bad Elf Pro is another excellent BT Receiver with Glonass/GPS,
works great with non cellular tablets. Commercial Pilots use
them for logging flight mileage etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead