DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Min 4 Wifi non-cellular GPS?

Now I will add this to clear up my previous post, I cannot confirm "follow me mode" because I've never used it with or without the iPad.

....Although, even though I haven't used it (follow me mode) I didn't think it required GPS in the first place.

Last edited:
They are correct in a sense, but I think they are being too literal, yes it is correct the iPad does not have GPS, however if you are tethered to your phone which does then the iPad will function when running the Go4 app just as it would if it did have GPS because it uses the GPS from the phone.

No, really it doesn't :)

You are being too liberal in your use of 'GPS'.

When tethered to your phone, your iPad has an internet connection and it will use that to approximate a location but it does not use the GPS capability built into the phone.

When tethered to your phone, your iPad has an internet connection and it will use that to approximate a location but it does not use the GPS capability built into the phone.

Well I guess I don't know how that applies to intelligent flight modes, I see no difference if I'm using my iPads or my iPhone when flying. Like I said though, I don't use intelligent flight modes other than Tripod Mode so I can't speak to those, so I'll have to take your word for it until I try it. When tethered to my iPhone I have the same functionality (at least I think I do) as I do when just using my iPhone alone, I have full use of the map, home point, RTH, etc. As I said before, I've flown over 200 flights using WiFi only iPads, Mini 2, Mini 4 & iPad Air 2 and until I came across this thread I never even gave it any thought that something may be operating differently due to the lack of GPS on the iPads. I don't even notice any difference when I'm flying from my house and the iPad is connected to my home WiFi. I doubt I would even want to be using my iPad if I was using the Follow Me function due to the size unless I was in a vehicle. I do want to try Follow Me to get some shots on the Harley, I just haven't had the time yet. I got a new 12.9" iPad Pro 2017 that was released last week, but I have yet to fly with it. I don't have a mount yet to accommodate it. The one I bought and only one I've found so far I just didn't trust to hold the larger iPad securely, so I sent it back. I love my Skyreat mount and I hope they will make one for the larger 12.9" iPads. Even if I do find one I'm not sure it is practical to fly with such a large display attached to the RC. I can see situations I might use it when trying to capture a tough shot, but for everyday flying I love the iPad Mini, that has become my go to monitor. I have one dedicated for the Mavic that stays in the case all the time. The few apps I have on it are all Mavic specific, no mail setup, messaging turned off...

There are only two occasions where you will notice the difference.

'Follow Me' (*not* Active Track) and the option to reset the home point to your current location during a flight.

Aside from that there is no difference and nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie

If your phone is attached to your hip it's going to be really accurate

If your phone is attached to your hip it's going to be really accurate

The GPS data from the phone doesn't make it to the iPad though, that is the problem.

It is all largely academic anyway as it does only affect those two things I mentioned earlier.

Yes i would like to know this as well. Im in the market in buy an ipad mini for using my Mavic. If i dont need cellular then that would be better.

I use my iPad mini 2
I don’t think I’ve ran into any problems yet, untethered to my phone for internet

The GPS data from the phone doesn't make it to the iPad though, that is the problem.

It is all largely academic anyway as it does only affect those two things I mentioned earlier.

Ok so how is it that my location shows up on google and Apple maps on my Wifi only iPad when it's tethered to my iPhone and no other surrounding wifi comes up

Ok so how is it that my location shows up on google and Apple maps on my Wifi only iPad when it's tethered to my iPhone and no other surrounding wifi comes up

The phone still has a cellular connection to the internet and can use that for an approximate location.

There really isn't any doubt about the GPS data not being passed through, but the right question is why anyone would care?

If you want to use 'follow me' then the phone is a better device to use in the first place as it is smaller and easier to keep out of the shot.

Its triangulating your position based on cell towers that your phone is receiving signal from. It is not using GPS. As an experiment turn on airplane mode on you phone then turn on only wifi then see if your ipad displays the correct location. It won't.

Its triangulating your position based on cell towers that your phone is receiving signal from. It is not using GPS. As an experiment turn on airplane mode on you phone then turn on only wifi then see if your ipad displays the correct location. It won't.

I can't tether my phone to my iPad if my phone is on airplane mode

What about connecting your iPad mini 4 wifi wireless to a mobile hotspot/MiFi. Since that is connected thru cellular towers would RTH work just fine?

What about connecting your iPad mini 4 wifi wireless to a mobile hotspot/MiFi. Since that is connected thru cellular towers would RTH work just fine?

Yes will work fine.

I use my iPad mini 4 128gb wifi connected to my iPhone 5s hotspot. Usually phone is in my back pocket or backpack. The phone shares the gps data with the iPad. DJI go app works fine.

They are correct in a sense, but I think they are being too literal, yes it is correct the iPad does not have GPS, however if you are tethered to your phone which does then the iPad will function when running the Go4 app just as it would if it did have GPS because it uses the GPS from the phone. In fact I never even thought about it before reading this topic. I always went out and flew and everything functioned on my iPad just as it does when using my phone because my iPad is always tethered to my phone. I've always had maps and GPS without any issues. Now I'll have to turn off the wifi connection and see what happens, although I'm sure the others are correct and I won't have GPS information.
ATT&T unlimited data plan does not allow hot spot connection, bummer

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman