DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Mini 4 - Confusion

To cache maps on the ipad, you need to go into Go 4, General Settings, and turn on Cache Map in the Background.

Reactions: Aaron
I have an ipad mini 4 wifi only 64GB

I always cache maps on the ipad 4 before going out to fly using my home wifi
Just in case there is poor cell service for my iphone, which I set as a hotspot and tether to my ipad when out on location

I also have a Garmin Glo Bluetooth GPS unit for the odd time I may wish to use Follow Me mode or if I know I will be moving away from the Home Point whilst the Bird is in the air (e.g. in a vehicle or on a boat) - Still worked out cheaper than purchasing the ipad mini 4 with cellular

[emoji18] Dumb question but how do you cache maps?

Hi all,

Newbie here!

I'm sure others must've posted something similar to this, or same, but I'm between purchasing a Mini 4 w/Wi-Fi vs. a Mini 4 with Cellular. Then next option to consider - 32GB or 128GB?

If I go with the Mini WI-Fi and use my phones hotspot, my guess it's going to be the same as picking up a Mini with Cellular service?

But then I think, why doesn't DJI's Crystal Sky not have cellular capabilities? Is it safe to say you just don't need cellular service, or do they expect you to be connected to a hotspot when out flying?

Does one lose any of the DJI Go 4 features if your not using cellular at all vs. when I connect my iPhone to my controller?

The more I read about this on other forums, the more confused I become. I even called DJI Support today and couldn't get a straight answer from Patel aka Joe.
You can fly without a data connection, the only thing you'll be missing is a detailed map when in flight, no other functions are lost, the Mavic will perform well either way. I've had to fly on many occasions in remote areas with a weak cell or no signal at all. I use an iPad mini 4 without cellular and use the hotpsot on the iPhone when I have data coverage. The only thing I would do if I was buying another iPad would be to get the one with cellular as it removes the need to constantly send a hotspot signal, but not a big deal. 1st world problems we have guys :))

I have the wifi 128gb version. Whether you'll miss any of the few features you lose from the cellular version comes down to experience and comfort.......or perceived comfort level with what those automated systems provide. I'd argue that the more manual flying experience you have the less you'll miss any of that stuff.

Not having GPS on the device will prevent you from having two functions. Follow me (not to be confused with Active Track), and the ability to set the home point to your current device/controller location:

- Follow me has very limited use and will not keep the subject in frame....you have to do that manually, which makes it alot less useful than people are led to believe. If you have to aim the camera you might as well be flying so i've never missed that functionality.

- Setting home point to the controller/device. I think alot of people assume that this is dynamically changing the home point to where you are so if you move around and hit RTH it'll come back to you. In fact, it only updates to your location if you manually set that home point. As soon as you move you will have to manually set that home point again and again. In most cases people are not moving around that much or very far from where they took off. For me I always like to fly and land under my own control only using RTH as an emergency function. In most cases where I took off from is a safe space for it to come back to. If not, like this weekend where I was flying off of a boat I will take off, then fly over to a safe spot on shore and manually set the home point to the aircrafts current location then continue the rest of my flight knowing that in the rare case i'd need to RTH to completion the aircraft would land in a safe spot i was aware of.

Not having cellular data will only prevent real time maps and syncing of data:

- Real time maps. Most of the time i'm flying around with no map data shows on my map screen. That said I can still see the path my aircraft has followed as well as the straight line which shows the straightest path home. In the rare case that I really need the map for anything i'll just cache the maps ahead of time.

- Syncing to the mothership. OK flight record stuff can be synced if you even care to do so offline. The only thing you may need data onsite for is if you needed to unlock enhanced warning zones in GEO that you did not prepare for ahead of time. In my case i've stayed on older version of DJI GO where you could turn GEO off and i've also disabled NFZ in the debug mode.

The way I look at these few missing functions is that i'll never use them 99% of the time. If I ever find myself in a position where i'd need or want them i'd just pull out my phone and use that for that particular flight.

So tell me, I just bought an ipad mini 4 wifi only. When I hook up the ipad to controller turn it on then turn on the bird I always get the audible message " the home point has been updated". So I guess my question is, is it updating the home point to my current position.

Yes. It is updating the home point of the mavic using the Mavic's GPS. If you had a GPS version iPad you could reset the home point if you walk away somewhere else.

Yes. It is updating the home point of the mavic using the Mavic's GPS. If you had a GPS version iPad you could reset the home point if you walk away somewhere else.

Or if you don't have a device with gps you can fly the aircraft to another location and reset the homepoint to where the AC is since it has it's own GPS. I typically do this if I takeoff under trees or off a boat. As soon as you lift off Mavic will set the homepoint, then fly out to a more suitable homepoint swipe left on the screen and press set homepoint to AC. You can also do this through the menus.

Reactions: SeaComms
Apple screens are not the brightest, has anyone used anything else that's doesn't look so dark ? ( yes even on brightest setting !)

Pretty much all screens are similar in brightness. If you want bright, you'll have to fork over some $800+ for a DJI Crystal Sky display. (Larger one of course) I just use a hood as shown in my avatar. Works perfect for my needs in bright sun.

Hi all,

Newbie here!

I'm sure others must've posted something similar to this, or same, but I'm between purchasing a Mini 4 w/Wi-Fi vs. a Mini 4 with Cellular. Then next option to consider - 32GB or 128GB?

If I go with the Mini WI-Fi and use my phones hotspot, my guess it's going to be the same as picking up a Mini with Cellular service?

But then I think, why doesn't DJI's Crystal Sky not have cellular capabilities? Is it safe to say you just don't need cellular service, or do they expect you to be connected to a hotspot when out flying?

Does one lose any of the DJI Go 4 features if your not using cellular at all vs. when I connect my iPhone to my controller?

The more I read about this on other forums, the more confused I become. I even called DJI Support today and couldn't get a straight answer from Patel aka Joe.
I am extremely non tech so forgive my ignorance. New mavic owner and my android phone and tablet both would not connect so i had to buy an ipad mini 4 to fly with ( works great) how can i tell if my device is a cellular or wifi version ? ......i didn't realize there is a difference.

Look at the top of your iPad. If black plastic it's cellular one

Hi all,

Newbie here!

I use an iPad 4 Mini, 128GB, WiFi but no sim chip. I use an Alcatel hotspot device to connect to the Mavic controller to get maps. Works great.

Hi all,

Newbie here!

No cellular service is need on iPad Mini 4. I've been flying with it since March and haven't had a problem. The only thing is give me updates you would have to come in to arrive. But you don't need to use your phone to connect for cellular service as a hotspot. Enjoy your new mavic Pro

I just picked up an iPad mini 4 128gb a few weeks ago. Don't believe you need any service(internet) to fly. I got the cellular version because it has the GPS chip but I have not activated it.

Edit...I believe you lose the follow me feature if you dont get the cellular version because wifi does not have GPS.

So with the cellular version do you have to have a sim installed for it to pick up the gps position? Or will it pick up the location anyway like a sat nav device and just mean you can't download data without a sim installed? And this way just download maps at home before heading out!

No sim needed... gps is something else than the cellular connection functionality. It is just that with the iPad mini, only the cellular model is equipped with a GPS module.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada