DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Mini 4 - Confusion

I am trying to decide cellular or wifi also.

If one had the wifi version, wouldn't "return home to RC" work as an alternative to changing the return homes cellular version if you changed your position?

I am trying to decide cellular or wifi also.

If one had the wifi version, wouldn't "return home to RC" work as an alternative to changing the return homes cellular version if you changed your position?
I have the Wi-Fi iPad Mini version only. I've never had a problem with this it always return to home it doesn't matter it's all based upon the GPS set

From reading previous comments here, return to home isn't an issue with the wifi version, the issue begins when you move location and want to reset the return to home location when in flight.

Will the "return to RC" option work with wifi....... just the same as a return to home reset during flight with a cellular connection?

And if connected to a Hotspot, does one have full function as a cellular connection?

Debating on saving my self $200 for wifi version, plus the $has 10 a month AT&T charge .

From reading previous comments here, return to home isn't an issue with the wifi version, the issue begins when you move location and want to reset the return to home location when in flight.

Will the "return to RC" option work with wifi....... just the same as a return to home reset during flight with a cellular connection?

And if connected to a Hotspot, does one have full function as a cellular connection?

Debating on saving my self $200 for wifi version, plus the $has 10 a month AT&T charge .
Sorry I never tried to return to RC under that condition

If all I'm really going to lose is Follow Me, then I'm just going to run with the Mini 4 w/Wi-Fi then.

As for the maps, I'll do as you and some of my friends have suggested, download them at home before heading out to fly, or just tether from my phone.

I guess I'm just one of those people that likes to have all the bells and whistles in something I buy.

But from what I'm reading here and speaking with others, it just doesn't seem worth it having to cough up the extra dollars to have a Mini with cellular service.

I actually have an iPad 2 with cellular. If I tell you that I used it outside of my house or even at home more than 10 times since I picked it up in 2012, that's a lot. And yes, I'm already aware that it will not work for this application. Dame shame though. I should've gotten rid of it back then while it was still hot.

Thank you all for your feedback!

You know you don’t need to activate the cellular service. The GOS chip is only on the cellular models, but performs completely independently from cellular. If you pay for the cellular mini, you are not required to activate the cell

My Mini4 is WiFi only and have no issues flying. Except. as stated above, load your map at home before you go out to fly, or use you phone as a hot spot to load the map. Follow Me won't work no GPS, so use your phone if you want to use that feature. Changing RTH location after taking off won't work, but it might if you hot spot the Mini with your phone, but since I haven't tried that maneuver yet, I can't attest to it.

Reactions: naturecannon
Hi all,

Newbie here!

I'm sure others must've posted something similar to this, or same, but I'm between purchasing a Mini 4 w/Wi-Fi vs. a Mini 4 with Cellular. Then next option to consider - 32GB or 128GB?

If I go with the Mini WI-Fi and use my phones hotspot, my guess it's going to be the same as picking up a Mini with Cellular service?

But then I think, why doesn't DJI's Crystal Sky not have cellular capabilities? Is it safe to say you just don't need cellular service, or do they expect you to be connected to a hotspot when out flying?

Does one lose any of the DJI Go 4 features if your not using cellular at all vs. when I connect my iPhone to my controller?

The more I read about this on other forums, the more confused I become. I even called DJI Support today and couldn't get a straight answer from Patel aka Joe.

I use a 32 g i pad mini 4 to control my mavic. I do know what a hot spot is but i have had no issues flying the mavic with it .

GPS will work without a SIM card but may take a little longer to establish and accurate position fix. Mobile smart phones , tablets etc use what’s known A-GPS or Assisted GPS where it can get a first rough fix from cell phone and wifi. Once a gps knows roughly where in the world it is and has access to the almanac then knowing which channels to scan for time signals happens faster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688