DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 4 for MAVIC question

that's kind of what I was hoping to hear. So it sounds like the only variable I might want to consider would be to get a 32GB instead of a 16gb for better cache performance,?

There is a 1st generation iPad mini 4 out there but few. If you get from a store like Best Buy they will tell you the difference.
Also a thread under "General Discussion " "Mavic Pro Tablet" you can read more about.
There are a lot of threads about tablets with a lot of info.
I have a 128 gb, wi-if only and love it. I would recommend.

Reactions: FastOldGuy
I just spent an hour digging on fleabay... Looks like used ones (32gb wifi) are bringing $270.00 up plus shipping. Going to Amaton the 32gb were $359.00 and the 128gb were $350.00. I got the 128gb. They had 7 left for $350.

I used the iPad Mini 4, but went to an iPhone, I must be the only Mavic pilot in the world who didn't like it, made the whole kit a bit less portable for backpacking, but mostly I found it awkward to hold. I like resting on the palm-arm things. Display was beautiful, but much preferring the iPhone 7 for flying, although you do miss small details on the smaller screen.

There is a 1st generation iPad mini 4 out there but few. If you get from a store like Best Buy they will tell you the difference.
Also a thread under "General Discussion " "Mavic Pro Tablet" you can read more about.
There are a lot of threads about tablets with a lot of info.
I have a 128 gb, wi-if only and love it. I would recommend.
I did go to Best Buy and spoke to two 'drones' who basically said that there weren't any changes. I also did various searches here and via google and found different info but nothing that directly answered my question as well as the answers in this thread. The good thing and the bad thing about searching on the net is the amound of good/bad info out there. Sometimes it just takes asking the question again (IMO). Thanks.

Budget is a big concern for me, hoping to get something under 250$

See what they have available at GameStop.com

I got a 128gb mini4 w/o cellular for about $200. I used to be an android fan but my phone and tablets were always experiencing app crashes during mid flight. I don't have those problems with my mini4

$250 for a used ipad mini 4 with GPS seems very doable. Stable (not one crash or hangup in 100 flights), nice display, and ability to use the RC arms to hold it, without an accessory tablet holder.

I went through a similar process to yours - starting with an Android phone - and wound up with an iPad mini 4 with cellular. The non-cellular iPad does not have GPS/GLONASS, which is needed for accurate positioning. I think it is important to have satellite based GPS on the tablet/phone because it provides you with a redundant check on the GPS lock for the Mavic, making it less likely that your drone will do a "try-away" where it recovers from an initial bad GPS lock. GPS also allows you to change the return to home location if you happen to move around, for example on a boat where GPS becomes critical.

I installed a SIM on mine also, but it does not really work with the Internet at the park where I usually fly, so I use my phone's hotspot for maps. You can also load the map for the area ahead of time, if you are a good planner. :)

More storage is more better, but the main effect will be on the amount of video you can cache, not the performance. Probably not an issue, but memory is not expandable and the iPad does not accept an SD card. Make sure you have room for DJI Go 4, and Litchi and any other apps you may want.

Last edited:
The cellular will give you GPS location and you don't need to pay any monthly fees or use the cellular capability for any other purpose. To me it's well worth it for the reasons geigy mentioned.

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'I-Phone was pulling', but basically for the maps, it is always a good idea to cache them on wifi on your iPad, wherever you have a good connection, as being out in the field sometimes there is no signal, 3G/4G etc.

With the maps cached you are safe in the knowledge that you have your area covered. In addition, I set my iPhone as a HotSpot and then connect to it with the iPad.

So you are then covered for your maps should your iPad need to download them if you haven't already cached them previously (e.g. you move to an area you haven't cached).

--

If I do move to a new area and need to reset the home point, I carry a Garmin GLO with me (bluetooth) that I can connect to the iPad to get a GPS fix.

I hate apple. But I tried every option when it came to android devices. The ipad mini 4 is the best option right now.

Rumor is Apple is discontinueing the mini line and will be replease the ipad pro 7.9 which may be worth waiting for. Supposed to be released by end of August or Sept. But who knows. Remember the ipad mini 4 is 2+ years old now.

Anyways you can get a used one on ebay or craigslist with cell service for 275-325 depending on color and size. I sucked it up and got it through verizon for $300 with 2 year contract ($10 extra a month). Company covered the bill since im sorta using it for company related stuff.

Reactions: RaRaRasputin
I got mine through my business also. The only thing I use it in the business for is to wake me up in the morning hehe

I also started with an iPhone but ended up getting an iPad mini 4 128. what a difference. I got a WiFi only model but cache the maps at home where I have WiFi and take off. The larger screen is a huge improvement for me.

Reactions: mkdive
I use a mini 4 16GB wifi/cellular that I purchased used on ebay for $270. Didn't activate any cell service. Works great but won't cache much video due to only 16GB memory. I really, really like the 7.9" screen.

GPS worked just fine in the Colorado mountains where I didn't have wifi or cell. I didn't care about maps since I never flew it out of visual range.

Mini 4 WiFi here. 16GB is just fine. I go to google mps for the area I will be flying. Zoom in on the places i will be. Cache them for later. I can always hotspot my phone to the mini if I need to. $250 is doable if u get a refurbished unit. I did from Amazon. Extremely happy! O was flying with Android. Nothing but glitchy. Zero issues with the Mini 4.

Reactions: FastOldGuy
I hate apple. But I tried every option when it came to android devices. The ipad mini 4 is the best option right now.

Rumor is Apple is discontinueing the mini line and will be replease the ipad pro 7.9 which may be worth waiting for. Supposed to be released by end of August or Sept. But who knows. Remember the ipad mini 4 is 2+ years old now.

Anyways you can get a used one on ebay or craigslist with cell service for 275-325 depending on color and size. I sucked it up and got it through verizon for $300 with 2 year contract ($10 extra a month). Company covered the bill since im sorta using it for company related stuff.
Have you tried a Samsung Galaxy S2-T710.

That's not true. Cell towers and wifi can be used to determine approximate location when indoors and can also speed up the process of locking onto the GPS satellites outdoors, but iPhones, Android phones, and iPads with cellular all have true GPS location with similar accuracy to standalone consumer GPS units.

I was about to add this same comment. [emoji818]️[emoji818]️
Glad you corrected the previous comment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J