iPad mini 4 for MAVIC question

From Apple's web site on Mini 4 specs:
  • Digital compass
  • Wi‑Fi
  • iBeacon microlocation
Wi-Fi + Cellular models
  • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
  • Cellular

I use a iPad mini 4 128GB wifi only. I keep my iPhone in my back pocket or backpack. I turn on my phone hot spot and join the iPad. The phone will share its gps with the iPad this way. Works great for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: trolling dirt
I use a iPad mini 4 128GB wifi only. I keep my iPhone in my back pocket or backpack. I turn on my phone hot spot and join the iPad. The phone will share its gps with the iPad this way. Works great for me.
I have the same iPad mini 4 Wifi 128GB, but have a Nexus 5x (android) as phone. Though I don't really miss the maps (I fly with the camera footage and only the small map in the corner), but will try this approach. Thanks for the tip!

I have the same iPad mini 4 Wifi 128GB, but have a Nexus 5x (android) as phone. Though I don't really miss the maps (I fly with the camera footage and only the small map in the corner), but will try this approach. Thanks for the tip!
The nexus 5x hotspot feature works well with my iPad for maps. No gps, but you can visually verify the home point before taking off.

Reactions: JoostGT3

I thought you can't share the gps ???

The only thing they won't tell you in this site, or apples site is one hardware difference between the US version and some other versions made for other countries is a chip for encryption at a higher rate of 2048 bits, maybe more. The US one has this chip and it's used with iMessage and videos calls, stuff like that and other third party apps for encrypting and saving passwords. Their is a level of encryption that is not allowed to be used or exported outside of the US and prevents the sales of some hardware because of this. So Apple made a different version with no encryption, or lower encryption only in the hardware. Don't ask the logic behind it, I don't know it fully. Probably because some countries want to know everything types and said on their citizens phones and tablets? But that's just the way is it.
Scott

Thanks to your post and my desire to have "live" maps, I decided to go with the cellular/A-GPS version that is offered by my carrier, which means I'm paying the full 2017 retail price. I write "paying" rather than "paid" because I'm paying $529 + tax divided by 20 months with AT&T's Next Program (no interest charge). I also pay $10/month for the extra line on our account. If I wish, I'm allowed to give the unit back to AT&T after 12 months and make no more payments, provided I select another device that is included in the Next program, which accommodates those individuals (I'm not one) who wish to have a brand-new device every year.

I turn off the Cellular function immediately after flying, as I do not want either Apple or DJI to make any changes aka "updates" to my current system, which is working perfectly.

Dynamic Home Point would be nice to have -- but not nice enough for me to be willing to take a chance on mucking up my system. I prefer Failsafe RTH, so I ALWAYS launch from a stationary "helipad" and wait for the device to hover long enough to memorize its launch point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J