DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 4 for MAVIC question

I'm only looking at the 4... one of my questions is basically is a mini 4 the same no matter what or are there different iterations (besides memory and wifi/cellular). I just want to be sure that if I'm buying a mini 4 that I'm not getting one that is the "oldest" and maybe the cpu/gpu power has been improved in newer builds of the mini 4 (if that makes sense).
I have a mini 4 and that's all you need.Mine it's solely used for the Mavic no other apps installed other then Ground Station.
16 gig is fine because all flight recordings are on micro SD .
You don't need to cache any video to to mini anyways.
I also picked up a card reader that plugs into mini so if I want to playback. It's called LEEF.

I'm strongly considering using a small tablet instead of my phone on the controller and have always been an android fan *but* I went to the local Fry's and held an iPad mini 4, and even put it in the controller arms and it fit so darn nicely that I think I'm going to try to find one used.
Since I'm not familiar with Apple products, if I find an iPad mini on eB*y or Amazon resellers, are the "important" specs going to be the same for the wifi only version?
Can a 16gb version work or is there some specification on the CPU/GPU that I need to look for? With androids, each make/model may have different CPU's and GPU's so one really has to drill down into the innards to know what you're getting. I'm not sure if Apple is like that or not.
I'm seeing some listings of the iPad mini 4 as "3rd generation, 4th generation"... what is that?
Any suggestions or feedback on your use of your iPad mini 4 is appreciated.

Marklyn,

I have a ipad mini 4 64GB, in pristine condition that I purchased off ebay, (before I found a 128GB), that I'm wanting to sell. contact me if you are interested.

I am looking to do the same but from my research I have read that the GPS signal in the IPad or for that matter iPhone or Android Phone or tablet receives its GPS coordinates from the triangulation of "Cell Towers". It is NOT as accurate as a dedicated GPS like the "Garmin Glos" which costs $100 and links via Bluetooth. So for $350-400 you can get the "IPad Mini 4" w. 128 gigabytes then get the Garmin for $100 & you are into it for $450-500.
The Garmin fits into your pocket & can also be linked to your phone for GPS when you have no phone signal
In orrery
Cellular not required - You will have to cache the maps for the area you are going to fly (or hook it up to you mobile phone by setting your phone as a wifi hot spot [tethering]).

You will not be able to use the Follow Me mode and you wont be able to reset the home point if you move location (such as on a boat).

To tackle the latter I will be using a Garmin GLO GPS Bluetooth device (costs around £80 / $100) but most will not want/need one
Mini 4 has proper Gps wether it's the cell or wifi version

$250 for a used ipad mini 4 with GPS seems very doable. Stable (not one crash or hangup in 100 flights), nice display, and ability to use the RC arms to hold it, without an accessory tablet holder.

I went through a similar process to yours - starting with an Android phone - and wound up with an iPad mini 4 with cellular. The non-cellular iPad does not have GPS/GLONASS, which is needed for accurate positioning. I think it is important to have satellite based GPS on the tablet/phone because it provides you with a redundant check on the GPS lock for the Mavic, making it less likely that your drone will do a "try-away" where it recovers from an initial bad GPS lock. GPS also allows you to change the return to home location if you happen to move around, for example on a boat where GPS becomes critical.

I installed a SIM on mine also, but it does not really work with the Internet at the park where I usually fly, so I use my phone's hotspot for maps. You can also load the map for the area ahead of time, if you are a good planner. :)

More storage is more better, but the main effect will be on the amount of video you can cache, not the performance. Probably not an issue, but memory is not expandable and the iPad does not accept an SD card. Make sure you have room for DJI Go 4, and Litchi and any other apps you may want.
That's incorrect
I have an use the mini 4 wifi version and has the same GPS functionality as the cellular version, it was only the earlier versions of iPad mini that didn't

Can a 16gb version work or is there some specification on the CPU/GPU that I need to look for? With androids, each make/model may have different CPU's and GPU's so one really has to drill down into the innards to know what you're getting. I'm not sure if Apple is like that or not.
I'm seeing some listings of the iPad mini 4 as "3rd generation, 4th generation"... what is that?

I've used this site for years, over a decade really.
It's never been wrong.
This is the difference between iPad mini 4 wifi and cellular.
Differences Between iPad mini 4 Models @ EveryiPad.com

This is a full list of all the iPads ever made and the specs:
Apple iPad Specs (All iPad Technical Specifications) @ EveryiPad.com

The only thing they won't tell you in this site, or apples site is one hardware difference between the US version and some other versions made for other countries is a chip for encryption at a higher rate of 2048 bits, maybe more. The US one has this chip and it's used with iMessage and videos calls, stuff like that and other third party apps for encrypting and saving passwords. Their is a level of encryption that is not allowed to be used or exported outside of the US and prevents the sales of some hardware because of this. So Apple made a different version with no encryption, or lower encryption only in the hardware. Don't ask the logic behind it, I don't know it fully. Probably because some countries want to know everything types and said on their citizens phones and tablets? But that's just the way is it.
Scott

Marklyn,

I have a ipad mini 4 64GB, in pristine condition that I purchased off ebay, (before I found a 128GB), that I'm wanting to sell. contact me if you are interested.
How much are u selling?

So do you have to have the wifi and cellular version? I want to get one but dint want to pay for cellular activation. Would I have to connect to wifi everytime before flying to cahe maps or will it do it without any internet service?

I just turn the hot spot on with my phone, then I don't need to activate the cellular on my iPad. Cache the maps works ok too, but takes time and if your offline too long they seem to disappear

Reactions: mkdive
That's incorrect
I have an use the mini 4 wifi version and has the same GPS functionality as the cellular version, it was only the earlier versions of iPad mini that didn't
I bought mine about 7 weeks ago, and the WiFi version dies not support satellite gps. I took the wifi one back to the apple store and upgraded for exactly this reason.

Just some observations from my experience - I have been using an iPad Mini 3 Wifi + Cellular since buying my Mavic.
No issues at all, fits perfectly in the controller arms and is so much better than a phone, but get a good quality USB / Lightning cable and plug it into the USB port on the bottom of the controller.
As I understand it, you have to get a "Cellular" model to get GPS BUT you don't need Cellular coverage when flying (or have a Sim Card installed - I have never had a card in my Mini) - I use all the functions (follow me, RTH etc) without any issues way out Bush, where the nearest tower is over 200kms away.
However, you will need to have WiFi connected or a Sim Card installed to get updates etc for the App and Mavic

Reactions: flightmike
I'm strongly considering using a small tablet instead of my phone on the controller and have always been an android fan *but* I went to the local Fry's and held an iPad mini 4, and even put it in the controller arms and it fit so darn nicely that I think I'm going to try to find one used.
Since I'm not familiar with Apple products, if I find an iPad mini on eB*y or Amazon resellers, are the "important" specs going to be the same for the wifi only version?
I use a Mimi4 and it is just an awesome setup; I have such confidence whenever I fly.

Attachments

• SOS_3371.jpg
    SOS_3371.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 40
  • SOS_3378Edit1 e.jpg
    SOS_3378Edit1 e.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 39
  • SOS_3379Edit1 e.jpg
    SOS_3379Edit1 e.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 37
I tried an iPhone and then switched to an iPad mini 4. What a huge difference. It's so much easier and safer. I'd never go back.

Update: I purchased a mini 4, 64gb from gamespot.com for $224 and it was in mint condition. It fits perfectly into the RC arms and everything is so much clearer (and larger) than my S7 phone was!
Best $224 I spent and so far not a single app crash. I think the mini 4 was made for this thing :)

Reactions: Ping^Spike
RC here ... fits perfectly
I applied a no glare screen cover and it's great even in the Arizona sun.
Do you have a link for the glare screen cover?

Cool. Thanks. So you'd recommend the anti-glare screen... did you look at others by the way?
I've been thinking of getting one but wasn't sure how effective they really are.

I can't remember why I picked this one LOL.
It was easy to apply, easy (think) to remove if needed and I haven't had any trouble seeing the iPad even in our unremitting sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99