DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad mini 5

LordByron

Reactions
Apple hasn't updated the iPad mini since 2015, when it first released the fourth-generation model, so it stands to reason the Cupertino tech giant will probably give its smallest tablet a refresh soon. A Thursday report out of China backs up that assumption.

The fifth-gen version, which people are calling the iPad mini 5, will feature an upgraded processor and cheaper display panel, respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said.

Reactions: DrDrew3
The problem with the ipads is they are for indoor use, during the summer I have to use my iphone since my ipad is sure to shut down at over 80f outside before 1 mavic battery runs dead. They also dont have the brightness hence all the shrouds they sell for drones. I would recommend just going with the DJI display.

Reactions: Kingram
The problem with the ipads is they are for indoor use, during the summer I have to use my iphone since my ipad is sure to shut down at over 80f outside before 1 mavic battery runs dead. They also dont have the brightness hence all the shrouds they sell for drones. I would recommend just going with the DJI display.
That may be a problem with your iPad, not iPads in general, or maybe you're running an older iPad and the processor is being stressed.

I fly regularly with the iPad Air (four years old) and now the 2017 iPad Pro when it's 95-100 degrees with no shutdowns at all.

That may be a problem with your iPad, not iPads in general, or maybe you're running an older iPad and the processor is being stressed.

I fly regularly with the iPad Air (four years old) and now the 2017 iPad Pro when it's 95-100 degrees with no shutdowns at all.

Thats correct the current ipadmini is stressed out and its worse in the heat since it throttles itself down, and it helps not to use a case also. But my iphone suffers the same fate but lasts a little longer.

My second issue with ipads is the screen brightness. I live out west and its hot and bright, my ipad is constantly on full brightness same with my phone and it can be hard to see.

I have found the 9.7" iPad Pro to be an excellent screen but then I most often fly the drone early morning or late afternoon when the light is best for photography, and when it's simply a matter of putting your body between the sun and the screen for it to be in the shade. No hood required.

I'm really hoping that the iPad Mini 5 is released soon - there was some talk of Apple discontinuing the Mini. I predict that they will sell a lot of units to Drone pilots - the iPad Mini is the perfect size to go with the RC and an upgrade is long overdue.

Reactions: LordByron
I’d agree the iPad Pro... have the 10.5” works better than my previous iPads. I purposefully purchased a iPad mini cellular gen 4 and it doesn’t perform nearly as well as the 10.5 Pro.

I have had the heat effect the iPad’s. Last Summer got the Hoodman for 10.5 and Mini. Not only do you gain perfect view & brightness, I’ve found keeping the hood on with snorkel the screen stays out of sunlight and remains much cooler... I think the screen baking in the sunlight caused the over heat problem more than ambient temps.

I also use the CrystalSky Ultra Bright... on the 2nd unit, the 1st one lasted maybe 2 hours before overheating and failing... was a known issue and free replacement. New one stays on, but it gets hot just running.. even indoors. The main problem using CS unit is the limited Apps available.

It seems evident that most people's choice of RC compatible device is largely governed by what is readily available - i.e. if you already own a mobile phone you're likely to use that unless you also own an iPad and you prefer a larger screen.

I know in my case I had just shelled out AUD$1,200 and certainly wasn't keen on spending hundreds more on a dedicated RC screen. Of course, I was lucky because I owned both a Samsung S7 and an Ipad Pro - I tried both and have ended up going with the iPad due to the larger and brighter screen.

Using the S7 was great because of its compact size with no extra bracket required but the screen was a bit too small. On the other hand, the iPad's screen is nice and big but it's also heavier and setting up the PGYTech Tablet Holder every time is a minor annoyance.

Now with the likely and imminent release of a new Ipad MIni, I believe it's going to be hugely popular amongst the Drone flying community. Large (but not too large) screen, lightweight, up-to-date performance, and it will fit snugly into the RC jaws without the need for a tablet holder. It's a no-brainer.

Reactions: Harrier

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spshow