DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPhone 12 with Mavic Air 2

mark.pinskey

Reactions
Hello drone enthusiasts. Pardon me if this is a rehash of a prior inquiry but I find this to be a real issue and it keeps me from flying or flying comfortably. The iPhone 12 for me is a real deterrent to flying because of screen dimming on warm summer days and poor brightness levels (somewhere around 800 nits. In your opinion what are my options? Do I have any real options if I want to be cost conscious? Would FPV be a solution at all?

I thank you for any and all responses. I am just having a lot of difficulty in this area of the sport….

My best,
Mark

This is a known issue with Apple devices. You can get a hood to cut down on glare to see the screen easier (or fly from a shaded area). As far as overheating, if it's in a case, take it out to fly (a pain in the rear for sure), maybe some kind of homemade solution such as flat ice pack or fan of some sort blowing on the device.

Hello drone enthusiasts. Pardon me if this is a rehash of a prior inquiry but I find this to be a real issue and it keeps me from flying or flying comfortably. The iPhone 12 for me is a real deterrent to flying because of screen dimming on warm summer days and poor brightness levels (somewhere around 800 nits. In your opinion what are my options? Do I have any real options if I want to be cost conscious? Would FPV be a solution at all?

I thank you for any and all responses. I am just having a lot of difficulty in this area of the sport….

My best,
Mark
If you try to fly in over 85 degree weather you will overheat that IPhone 12 or even a 13. I have a 13 and after 10 minutes it went dark and had to rely on RTH. Other than the advice you have been provided which works to varying degrees,
I suggest considering spending the money and getting something with 1200 nits or higher. My IPad Mini 4 used to do the trick but then it too would heat up or the screen would lag from the subsequent firmware updates. Try making your own hood, I did and it helped for little while. Good luck and HFTA!

Reactions: vindibona1
If you try to fly in over 85 degree weather you will overheat that IPhone 12 or even a 13. I have a 13 and after 10 minutes it went dark and had to rely on RTH. Other than the advice you have been provided which works to varying degrees,
I suggest considering spending the money and getting something with 1200 nits or higher. My IPad Mini 4 used to do the trick but then it too would heat up or the screen would lag from the subsequent firmware updates. Try making your own hood, I did and it helped for little while. Good luck and HFTA!
Good advice. I think all the iPhones with fast processors are bound to heat up quickly. But you gave me an idea. I've made my own lens hoods before with cardboard and gaffers tape. Worked pretty well actually. But to take off on that same idea, I'm wondering if a home made lens hood with black gaffers on the inside, but a silver reflective outside, probably on the front and two sides wouldn't reflect some of the heat from the sun on those hot days? I looked for a pic of a lens shade I had made but couldn't find it. Sorry.

Another possible solution (just spitballing) might just be that ice pack. But how would you be able to keep it near the phone? Possibly the same solution that some use to keep your hands warm in the winter. Stick an ice pack and your controller with your phone in there. Maybe cut out the plastic window and replace it with a home made custom hood? I don't know. Sometimes you just have to get creative.

It's a shame that the newest phones have these issues, but they weren't designed for drones. Maybe get an older iPhone like an XR that isn't as prone to overheating but does a good job with my drones. Lately I've been flying with an iPad Mini 6 but we haven't really had any heat here yet. But I haven't had any dimming issues and it seems to be just bright enough if I stay out of direct sun. I always try to find any type of shade to stand under, but I know that can be impossible in places.

1653521607655.png

I use the iPhone 8 with a hood I bought & look for a shade spot. No problems with overheating. I had to mod the hood because it was slightly small. Had a go with cardboard as well, but shade is the best solution.

Good advice. I think all the iPhones with fast processors are bound to heat up quickly. But you gave me an idea. I've made my own lens hoods before with cardboard and gaffers tape. Worked pretty well actually. But to take off on that same idea, I'm wondering if a home made lens hood with black gaffers on the inside, but a silver reflective outside, probably on the front and two sides wouldn't reflect some of the heat from the sun on those hot days? I looked for a pic of a lens shade I had made but couldn't find it. Sorry.

Another possible solution (just spitballing) might just be that ice pack. But how would you be able to keep it near the phone? Possibly the same solution that some use to keep your hands warm in the winter. Stick an ice pack and your controller with your phone in there. Maybe cut out the plastic window and replace it with a home made custom hood? I don't know. Sometimes you just have to get creative.

It's a shame that the newest phones have these issues, but they weren't designed for drones. Maybe get an older iPhone like an XR that isn't as prone to overheating but does a good job with my drones. Lately I've been flying with an iPad Mini 6 but we haven't really had any heat here yet. But I haven't had any dimming issues and it seems to be just bright enough if I stay out of direct sun. I always try to find any type of shade to stand under, but I know that can be impossible in places.

View attachment 148852
I started out using a cardboard hood with my IPad Mini 4and it was great. The next year (2021) for some reason, I experienced too much lag. That wasn't due to the heat because I wasn't flying in very hot weather. But then in 80 plus temps, it got too risky to fly with either my 10XR or my old IPad Mini 4. After weeks of researching inexpensive methods and devices, I succumbed to the Tripltek. Not before buying a used IPhone 8 because someone here wrote it worked for them but they must fly in more "frigid temps". The IPhone 8 lasted 10 minutes. Bottom line is if you cannot buy an expensive device then consider the time of day, temperatures, location and the aids used to it keep cool. My guess is you'll still get great flying time. I don't believe in buying an expensive device just for recreational purposes it is not the best idea, unless you use that device for other purposes, as in the Tripltek. Most of the Android devices also heat up.
It's about the "When, Where and How" you fly that will help to avoid having your device go dark on you. It's no fun when you can't see where you going, PS, I fly RC planes too and one cold day, I used the hood for my planes on the DJI controller, what a mistake! Dummy me, flew into a tree because I decided to adjust the hood. LOL... HFTA!

I started out using a cardboard hood with my IPad Mini 4and it was great. The next year (2021) for some reason, I experienced too much lag. That wasn't due to the heat because I wasn't flying in very hot weather. But then in 80 plus temps, it got too risky to fly with either my 10XR or my old IPad Mini 4. After weeks of researching inexpensive methods and devices, I succumbed to the Tripltek. Not before buying a used IPhone 8 because someone here wrote it worked for them but they must fly in more "frigid temps". The IPhone 8 lasted 10 minutes. Bottom line is if you cannot buy an expensive device then consider the time of day, temperatures, location and the aids used to it keep cool. My guess is you'll still get great flying time. I don't believe in buying an expensive device just for recreational purposes it is not the best idea, unless you use that device for other purposes, as in the Tripltek. Most of the Android devices also heat up.
It's about the "When, Where and How" you fly that will help to avoid having your device go dark on you. It's no fun when you can't see where you going, PS, I fly RC planes too and one cold day, I used the hood for my planes on the DJI controller, what a mistake! Dummy me, flew into a tree because I decided to adjust the hood. LOL... HFTA!
These days I try to spend some time in the car until I have to get out for VLOS. The car keeps everything cool or warm until you need to exit and be outside with it.

I have one of those Wtotoy hand muffs but haven't used it much. But it does present an interesting opportunity for screen shade and holding a small cold pack to prevent overheating. It hasn't been hot enough here to even think about it.

In terms of "creativity", something that just popped into my mind was some sort of umbrella that one could strap on with a harness allowing for portable shade that one doesn't need hands for. Maybe they make one like that already. There are lots of folks whose condition makes them over-sensitive to the sun. I'm intrigued now and have to check that out. It's got to exist. Edit: Yep... There are a couple systems that I found on Amazon. One is a harness where you instert your own umbrella; $56. The second seems to come with it's own umbrella for $50, but doesn't look quite as sturdy and I would probably want to use one of my larger photo umbrellas if I were to use such a system.

It think what we're all trying to achieve is easy viewing on the screen in bright sunlight and keeping everything cool in the heat. I'm not sure what works, but perhaps one of these methods might?

Last edited:
These days I try to spend some time in the car until I have to get out for VLOS. The car keeps everything cool or warm until you need to exit and be outside with it.

I have one of those Wtotoy hand muffs but haven't used it much. But it does present an interesting opportunity for screen shade and holding a small cold pack to prevent overheating. It hasn't been hot enough here to even think about it.

In terms of "creativity", something that just popped into my mind was some sort of umbrella that one could strap on with a harness allowing for portable shade that one doesn't need hands for. Maybe they make one like that already. There are lots of folks whose condition makes them over-sensitive to the sun. I'm intrigued now and have to check that out. It's got to exist. Edit: Yep... There are a couple systems that I found on Amazon. One is a harness where you instert your own umbrella; $56. The second seems to come with it's own umbrella for $50, but doesn't look quite as sturdy and I would probably want to use one of my larger photo umbrellas if I were to use such a system.

It think what we're all trying to achieve is easy viewing on the screen in bright sunlight and keeping everything cool in the heat. I'm not sure what works, but perhaps one of these methods might?
I mentioned before that I had acted "brainlessly" a few months ago when it was winter here and I tried using my "Wtotoy on my DJI controller. Boy! did I mess up, after I sent my drone straight up about 50 feet, Knucklehead decided to adjust the "WToToy" and for I had the drone up. Well, I moved the sticks without realizing it and sent my drone into a treetop.
It took a few days for a strong wind to drop it 56 feet down and send it for repair. So the lesson is don't be "that guy". LOL
Good luck finding the best way to keep from heating up your device now that sumner is here. HFTA!

Hi there Emily, my IPhone 8 has same problem, but I have to use it with Maven, (& unfortunately with Dronelink previously). So I bought a screen box thingy to cut down on glare & further added cardboard surrounds. I drop it on after getting things going & it works for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky