DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone v iPad v Mini

Skyfall-0D2

Reactions
So my eyes are not as good as they were (my wife looks more ? for a start!) and whilst waiting for my platinum glasses (they cost enough!), I’m considering changing to using an iPad with the controller.
For those that have, do you use the iPad Mini or normal 9.7” & what would you say the Pro’s v Con’s are?
Or, should I bin the idea, compliment my ‘current’ wife a lot ? (3 times daily for the next 113 days) and hope for a Smart Controller at Christmas?

As always your feedback is humbly received. ?

I use the Ipad Pro 11 inches with my drones. This ipad is 600 nits and is super bright. Also own the smart controller that is 1000 nits.

For be honest, the Ipad 11 is too large and the smart controller too small but very convenience and bright.

I am concentrating buy an Ipad Mini or a Cristal Sky 7.9 ultra bright

Reactions: Skyfall-0D2
I stoped using a phone when I moved from the FC40.
Used a mini for years then moved up to the 9.7.
It was great but now have the 10.2. 128gb cellular .
It is harder to fly with than the mini but I fly from my truck
mostly now and it sits on a rig on my steering wheel.
Also I use it here and about everything else unless I feel
frisky and go to my desk to get on iMac.

If your going to be wearing glasses the Ipad Mini will be the right size from a screen and handling perspective.
It fits nicely in the jaws of the MP2 controller

I stoped using a phone when I moved from the FC40.
Used a mini for years then moved up to the 9.7.
It was great but now have the 10.2. 128gb cellular .
It is harder to fly with than the mini but I fly from my truck
mostly now and it sits on a rig on my steering wheel.

How does flying from your truck interfere or not with your drone's signal? There are times where I'd rather sit in my car rather than stand in the sun on a 90° day but have been afraid that it might be a problem with the connection.

We have a giant iPad at home and while I love the size I am not fond of the weight, even for casual home use. If I have to go that big I'd rather be sitting at my PC with a 27" screen and regular keyboard and mouse.

How does flying from your truck interfere or not with your drone's signal? There are times where I'd rather sit in my car rather than stand in the sun on a 90° day but have been afraid that it might be a problem with the connection.

We have a giant iPad at home and while I love the size I am not fond of the weight, even for casual home use. If I have to go that big I'd rather be sitting at my PC with a 27" screen and regular keyboard and mouse.
Absolutely none. Now if you start getting on out there you need to hold your controller up to shoot signal out windshield but that’s it.
This was discussed awhile back and someone called me on it.
Did this just to show.
7D71A632-B9EC-4DA0-AABC-92863ED63E26.jpeg

Absolutely none. Now if you start getting on out there you need to hold your controller up to shoot signal out windshield but that’s it.
This was discussed awhile back and someone called me on it.
Did this just to show.
View attachment 111554
That's helpful. Ya know, I live in an area that is kind of screwed up and there are all these (no-longer-legal) local ordinances that have been over-ridden by state law. Yet I know someone will not have gotten the over-ride memo voiding the local ordinance. There are times when I think I'd be more comfortable not operating in the open once I get my drone launched if I can avoid any potential hassel. Thanks for sharing your experience.

P.S.... On your video a message "attitude is too large" pops up frequently. What does that mean? Is flying in "position mode" flying without GPS?

Reactions: dirkclod
P.S.... On your video a message "attitude is too large" pops up frequently. What does that mean? Is flying in "position mode" flying without GPS?
Really not sure what it was to be honest. Think it was maybe
because I was flying backwards. ?‍♂️

Reactions: vindibona1
That's helpful. Ya know, I live in an area that is kind of screwed up and there are all these (no-longer-legal) local ordinances that have been over-ridden by state law. Yet I know someone will not have gotten the over-ride memo voiding the local ordinance. There are times when I think I'd be more comfortable not operating in the open once I get my drone launched if I can avoid any potential hassel. Thanks for sharing your experience.

The "Attitude to large error" is when the AC angle (e.g. nose down or nose up) is so extreme that the obstacle avoidance sensors can no longer work along the direction of the flight.
This usually appears in high wind conditions

Some amplified antenna suppliers e.g. Alientech and Titan have external antenna mounts using suction cups, the longer antenna cables connect back to the controller in the car/house

1598393296393.png1598393334860.png1598393393038.png

I have used all three. The iphone 6s plus, the ipad mini, and a 9.7 ipad. I started with the 9.7 and after using for awhile I realized it was just too heavy and stressed the mount too much. Then I bought the 6s plus which I really liked, but it seemed to get hot, more than I would like. I ponied up for the ipad mini, which for me is perfect. I'm working on a homemade sun shade since the one I bought is too heavy to be comfortable. Although it does block out all glare and reflection which make reading the battery level so much easier. So my vote is for the mini. I fly both the mm and the ma2. I'm not sure what you're flying but I think the smart controller won't work with the mini.

Last edited:
This is cool. But how do you hook it up to your controller? Do you need to do surgery to the controller?

Yes, you do have to modify the controller to suit the connection the brand you are going for has.
It's a intricate but doable modification, I did it for 4 of my controllers.

They look like this after the conversion

130936hz3eciaep3t3o8c3.jpg

Yes, you do have to modify the controller to suit the connection the brand you are going for has.

View attachment 111591
I have used all three. The iphone 6s plus, the ipad mini, and a 9.7 ipad. I started with the 9.7 and after using for awhile I realized it was just too heavy and stressed the mount too much. Then I bought the 6s plus which I really liked, but it seemed to get hot, more than I would like. I ponied up for the ipad mini, which for me is perfect. I'm working on a homemade sun shade since the one I bought is too heavy to be comfortable. Although it does block out all glare and reflection which make reading the battery level so much easier. So my vote is for the mini. I fly both the mm and the ma2. I'm not sure what you're flying but I think the smart controller won't work with the mini.

Hi RchawksIannes, Topic has veered off a little, but to a very interesting one too!
I think there’s 2 very useful comments here, but based on your extensive R&D, a Mini iPad from Ebay is the way to go.
Very much appreciated your feedback.

Re the antenna, I’m guessing there’s easy to follow instructions, a little drilling and a wee bit soldering and your done? Then you have the option with or without?

Hi Iannes, Topic has veered off a little, but to a very interesting one too!
I think there’s 2 very useful comments here, but based on your extensive R&D, a Mini iPad from Ebay is the way to go.
Very much appreciated your feedback.

Sorry about that, back on topic

If your planning to use DJI Fly, you would need to look at a Ipad Mini 4 or 5
I would recommend a Mini 5 due to the extra processing power it has

View attachment 111591
Perhaps one day if I really need the extra range and I'm ready to get my next drone. I have neither the (current) skill or courage to start modifying my gear.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu