DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is FAA rules such a BIG deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
khooper802, do you own a gun? If so, every time some "nut job" shoots up some place, the "powers that be" come after YOUR gun! THINK about it!

khooper802, do you own a gun? If so, every time some "nut job" shoots up some place, the "powers that be" come after YOUR gun! THINK about it!

In that case the powers that be must be really puny, based on how many guns have been taken away.

Some people choose to perceive any risk in the most absolute worst case scenario terms... burning planes, chaos,death and destruction.
But the evidence is lacking, for 99.99% of drone pilots - the real immediate risk to themselves or others is the boring mundane - high blood pressure,smoking, diabetes,car travel etc.
Just fly your drone, be considerate to others and try have some fun !!!! :)
Awsome reply...be respectful of others and fly safe

Thats not true. They ust enforce harder laws on how to can GET a gun and ban weapon parts. Your gun and my gun are the last guns they would come for considering we do not have any criminal record. And if they come to take ours, not much they can do because if I refuse to give it, theres also millions like me who . want to keep their gun... Where are they gonna put everyone?

Just have to throw in my two cents. I'm one of those people who speeds. For years the LAW was 55 on the highway was stupid. I'd do 70 because it was reasonable. Now the limit is 70 and I still do 70. Those people on this thread continually citing the law should read the book "A felony a day". There are laws you violate everyday and don't know about it because they are stupid and designed to be selectively enforced. Would everyone here citing the law really want to be subjected to every dumb law and regulation the government has managed to fabricate. Just think of that guy who was chocked to death a few years ago for selling individual cigarettes.

I think the FAA rules should be relaxed. Shouldn't there have to be some justification for these rules. Just got done doing the F107 course. Most of this seems to be pulled from thin air because no one has any experience and its just easier to ban stuff. Seems stupid to fly over 400 feet and the risk of collision with an aircraft is real. I live in a rural area and still helicopters are flying in to the local hospital. 5 miles from every airport. I think that's dumb if I am only at 400 feet, but do my best. Not over people. Makes sense. Line of sight. Spotter needed with googles. Give me a break, I'm not flying an F16. Then again, when I was pulled over for speeding, I paid the fine. If something happens with the drone I'll accept the consequences.
Good post. My attitude about government rules has changed a lot as I've aged and learned more about "how the sausage is made" in politics. When I was 21 and driving tractor-trailers, I thought it behooved me as a professional to obey every traffic law even if it was silly and the risk of being caught was near zero. Now I roll through stop signs and drive over lane markers every chance I get as long as I'm sure it's safe and no pests in government costumes are watching. It just makes me feel good.
Flying at ridiculously high altitudes seems stupid and dangerous, so I don't do it. But I won't be losing any sleep over occasionally flying out of sight horizontally.

Thats not true. They ust enforce harder laws on how to can GET a gun and ban weapon parts. Your gun and my gun are the last guns they would come for considering we do not have any criminal record. And if they come to take ours, not much they can do because if I refuse to give it, theres also millions like me who . want to keep their gun... Where are they gonna put everyone?
There are two old sayings I agree with 100%. "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" and my favorite, "When guns are outlawed, I'll be an outlaw"!

When I was a kid I found a turkey vulture that had been abandoned by it's mother and was near starvation. Undoubtedly it would have starved to death had I not given it some water and food for a few weeks. After a few weeks it returned to the wild. My mental dilemma is this, should I have let nature take it's course and allowed it to starve or did I do the right thing. After all this bird routinely soars over 10,000 ft and poses risks to manned air traffic. Am I indirectly responsible if this bird causes an accident?

I have no doubt that the FAA would restrict birds to a maximum altitude if they had a means of enforcing the rule.

Reactions: Regulator247
Lately just browsing through the posts I have seen lots of people nagging on others about how to stay within line of sight, or "Legal altitude" but are these rules really something to take into account? To be honest, who's going to catch you when your 2 miles away and 1500 feet up getting a shot of a life time like I like to do. Just curious on everyone's opinion of following all the rules.
I'm not sure what kind of result you expected here. There always going to be a subset of people that never go above the speed limit. They're just driving oblivious to the people behind them. And if you were to have a conversation with said people...they'd say you were the problem, and then try to preach to you about following the law to a T, and if you violated any of the rules or subrules that you would be in violation and they would either wet their panties or 'report' you for not following said rules and regulations. Personally I see it as having your own safe practices. I often fly above and around the LOS and altitude guidelines. I'm not doing it to be a rebel. I just live in the middle of nowhere. I have purchased the mavic pro when it first came out...fly it often and I've never once crashed it. Its in immaculate condition. So go out, make sure you're flying safely within your guidelines and don't care about those people that drive in the fast lane with a stick so far up their a$$e$ that they can't see all of the annoyed people behind them.

I'm fully aware ill stir the hornets nest...and I truly don't care. If this post offended you, reach back and pull the stick out. Its in deep.

I'm curious about the comments about changing altitude or position when other aircraft are in the area....how do you know what other aircraft are nearby when you are 2 miles away at 1600 feet?
I agree the odds of a collision is low...but here is another factor. When the FAA gets pissed off enough about drone pilots out flying willy nilly with no regard to the laws, rules, and regulations, what do you think their response will be? It's likely one of two things will happen. We'll see bans on drones entirely with high penalties for breaking this. The more likely scenario is the simple process of registering your craft is going to get rather expensive and complicated. If we can't follow the established rules, then who is to say they wouldn't require hours of hours of training from some certified instructor? And then testing and test flights, etc..and expense. Think of what a small plane pilot has to go through to get a license and to maintain that license. What if the FAA decides they want to institute similar practices because you like to go out with no regard for what they already require of us.
Consider this, if FAA ever finds out people are breaking your guidelines *consider youselves very lucky) they can easily institute laws so strict
like in Canada...do you want this..https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html#knowledge

Reactions: Taylor1430
So your concern is only about getting caught? Do you ever worry about colliding with an aircraft?

He's referring to the American heritage that new age dweebs seem to have forgot, Idividualism. Lots of people like to "follow all rules" and elelvate themselves by thrashing others. American backbone doesnt follow the rules. Nascar originated by moonshiners, the fabulous Kennedys got their fortune running shine from Canada, the first guy that tied a gopro to a balloon and got terrific pictures from the upper atmosphere, the list is long of glorious rule breakers. ITS A CHOICE! Just like when you break the speed limit, are you only worried about getting home on time?
And yes I did say, AMERICAN BACKBONE. Something the younger generation has never known.

The rule of law is important and fragile. Respect it in the little and big things, and protect it. Be active to change rules and laws when needed, but please cherish the rule of law in all things.

He's referring to the American heritage that new age dweebs seem to have forgot, Idividualism. Lots of people like to "follow all rules" and elelvate themselves by thrashing others. American backbone doesnt follow the rules. Nascar originated by moonshiners, the fabulous Kennedys got their fortune running shine from Canada, the first guy that tied a gopro to a balloon and got terrific pictures from the upper atmosphere, the list is long of glorious rule breakers. ITS A CHOICE! Just like when you break the speed limit, are you only worried about getting home on time?
And yes I did say, AMERICAN BACKBONE. Something the younger generation has never known.
Get a life

Reactions: MAVA4
The rule of law is important and fragile. Respect it in the little and big things, and protect it. Be active to change rules and laws when needed, but please cherish the rule of law in all things.
Real law can be summed up in one sentence: Don't hurt other people and don't take their stuff. Everything else is preemptive garbage cooked up by grandstanding politicians and unelected bureaucrats desperate to keep us convinced that we need them.

Real law can be summed up in one sentence: Don't hurt other people and don't take their stuff. Everything else is preemptive garbage cooked up by grandstanding politicians and unelected bureaucrats desperate to keep us convinced that we need them.
Do you really believe that

Boom!! Here we go again. Is this a late April fools gag? Or click bait? Whatever, I’ll stick my nut above the parapet again....my opinion is.
It’s the same with speeding through roadworks, are you only concerned with getting caught and a fine and not at all concerned that your selfish actions are endangering the lives of the road workers who have families that would like them to come home to at the end of their shift. There is a true saying that we look to others how to act. Individuals start to act the way of the group rather than think for themselves whether something is right or wrong and challenge something. Ultimately,
If your actions (photos) are seen by others and they think, ‘hmm he’s done it and got away with it, I think I’ll try that myself’ and eventually, (and it will) cause an accident, are you also to blame for encouraging the behaviour, not acting responsibly and exhibiting the type of responsible behaviours that a civilised society expects.
I work in an extremely dangerous environment, every rule we have has come about because of a near miss or accident which has claimed lives in the past. I have lost count of the number of people & bits of people I have had to collect in a body bag simply because they think the rules don’t apply to them, they’ve done it before and got away with it, but not this time. I see the shattered lives of families, the grief on the faces of wives and children, and always the question...why?
I can hardly turn round to them and say that daddy or mommy were so utterly stoopid they thought the rules didn’t apply to them.
Come with me and I’ll let you meet some of these torn apart families, witness the all consuming grief first hand and between the tears and sobs I will let them look you straight in the eye and ask “what makes you so special that you think the rules don’t apply to you?”
FAA have placed a set of ground rules to try and keep everyone safe but also trying to allow the freedom to follow your hobby/business responsibly.
That’s my bit, now over to everyone else.
AMEN brother!!!!!!!!!

I’m glad there are rules and guidelines in place. Having that awareness is good. I live in the middle of the city, and the rules make it a pain to do much of anything where I am. But I get it. There are 5 helipads, 2 prisons, and 3 stadiums within a couple of miles and a major airport just over 5 miles away. So I get why they don’t want a hundred tiny aircraft muddying up the airspace creating risk that wasn’t even a concern before. The FAA had to get *something* in place when drones became a thing, and now they’re working to make them better fit the situation with Part 107 and such.

I do also have a 30 year old twin-turbo v6 coupe that is too old to have really any safety features like airbags... traction control... frame-mounted seat belts... it’s well-suited for exceeding posted speed limits and killing me in the process. I drive it nicely in town around other people, and 94% of the time on public roads. Not because I’m concerned about getting caught; I’m not interested in creating trouble for other people.

All that said - at some point you have to judge for yourself whether you accept the risks and responsibilities of anything that might happen as a result of your actions. Are you the type to bury the needle on a back country road, or the type that stops at a stop sign in the middle of nowhere with no one around? Maybe you are the type to fly a drone well outside restrictions when you’re certain you’re not putting people at risk and know when it’s time to abort.

That’s up to you in the end; but my advice to you would be *don’t put it on the Internet!!* Why people insist on doing that is just beyond me. There are many lonely-stop-sign-stoppers out there that just can’t possibly function outside the rule of law no matter the context, who also can’t stand people that do.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Actually, that is not the real question to ask. You answered it yourself when you went on to say they make cars which can exceed the speed limit. They know that there are always people who will disregard the law, and want to buy machines which will allow them to do so. It isn't a mystery, it is marketing.
Well in Germany there aren’t any speed limits on many roads.... but people still drive responsibly.. car makers wouldn’t be able to sell their cars here if they were speed limited. My opinion.... people like you need to be HAMMERED really hard with a $2000 fine and two weeks community service at an airport.

Well in Germany there aren’t any speed limits on many roads.... but people still drive responsibly.. car makers wouldn’t be able to sell their cars here if they were speed limited. My opinion.... people like you need to be HAMMERED really hard with a $2000 fine and two weeks community service at an airport.
Give him what for sir!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid