DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it illegal to fly over main roads

I hadn't watched the clip, the thumbnail was enough.
But just watching it now, I'd have to ask if you are aware of the Mini uncommanded descent issue ?
This is happening with many Minis, can happen anytime, and if that happened while over that road, there is nothing you can do to stop it hitting the ground below.
In fact, one of the mini threads had this happen in the crash section, the drone was run over multiple times.
Read up a bit in that section perhaps and just become aware of when / how it appears to be brought on, you can probably reduce the risk by flying conservatively . . . but it can happen to a pilot flying sports mode or cinematic mode apparently.

Reactions: old man mavic
its not illegal to fly over roads as long as you dont linger, but it is not a safe practice to fly over moving traffic ,imagine the outcome if your drone fell and smashed into a vehicles screen

I couldn't watch it ! Sorry, but over a supermarket, and main roads like that on your SECOND flight?!! Looks lovely but personally, I just wouldn't

Reactions: jagraphics
its not illegal to fly over roads as long as you dont linger, but it is not a safe practice to fly over moving traffic ,imagine the outcome if your drone fell and smashed into a vehicles screen
Thanks at least now I know not to Hoover over traffic but I can fly over roads without stopping

Reactions: old man mavic
I'd say this is pretty reckless and especially at the height you were flying (i.e. low) you could prove to be a dangerous distraction to drivers on that road.

Furthermore, are you honestly saying the drone was in Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) the entire time? I would find that hard to believe.

come on now guys, i think the OP has got the idea by now that his video was not an appropriate use of a drone,maybe time to close this thread now

I'd say this is pretty reckless and especially at the height you were flying (i.e. low) you could prove to be a dangerous distraction to drivers on that road.

Furthermore, are you honestly saying the drone was in Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) the entire time? I would find that hard to believe.
Being a new flyer I didn't know but now I do thanks

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I hadn't watched the clip, the thumbnail was enough.
But just watching it now, I'd have to ask if you are aware of the Mini uncommanded descent issue ?
This is happening with many Minis, can happen anytime, and if that happened while over that road, there is nothing you can do to stop it hitting the ground below.
In fact, one of the mini threads had this happen in the crash section, the drone was run over multiple times.
Read up a bit in that section perhaps and just become aware of when / how it appears to be brought on, you can probably reduce the risk by flying conservatively . . . but it can happen to a pilot flying sports mode or cinematic mode apparently.
Thanks for reply I've learned my lesson now no more roads

Thanks old man mavic being new to drone I didn't know but learned my lesson
dont take it personally my fellow flier its only because this sort of flying contributes to more and more restrictions being placed on drone fliers in general

Just fly that little bad boy. I don’t think 249 g is going to kill a car
It is all about relative velocity. A piece of foam weighing just 750g caused enough damage to the Space Shuttle Columbia to cause its destruction. A car moving at highway speeds meeting a 249g drone moving in the opposite direction could have devastating consequences.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne