DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it legal and ethical to fly near firefighters in a case like this?

maviccoder

Reactions
I live right next to this marina. I could have sent my Mavic out to shoot this fire, but thought it might be a distraction or even illegal. (This isn't like a massive wildfire with an NFZ obviously)

I am still new to the hobby and trying to learn the law and what's ethical. I have no real opinion yet--- what do others think?

(A firefighter from this response seemed pleased and impressed with his video on the Facebook comments, so that's a good sign for it being unobtrusive and legal... but I still would like to hear from my always opinionated Mavic colleagues)

Brian Muscatell

Edit: this isn't my footage, it's circulating around Facebook here in town and I wondered if this is considered responsible flying or not.

Last edited:
At 5:55 were they trying to get you to move? Can't see another reason to shoot the stream that direction.

Reactions: maviccoder
Bravo, you are thinking about the right stuff. Don't listen to us, we should be listening to you, haha.

It is illegal to interfere with government, police, firefighters, etc... The FAA posted new rules as well about drones and fires due to having to ground helicopters who were attempting to put out fires due to spotting drones and being unsafe to fly around. Man arrested for delaying firefighters after flying drone over wildfire

On a quiet summer day, I was flying my phantom 4 above soccer field at about 150 foot elevation and a non-commercial plane I saw in the far distance, approximately half mile, and the pilot turned and flew straight toward me at elevation of approximately 400 foot. I quickly landed. The pilot passed over, then performed 2 passes over me, drawing an X. I think he was just warning me to share the sky, or he was curious if drone operators were as reckless as the media purports! hehe

I think most people are just curious but please fly responsibly!

At 5:55 were they trying to get you to move? Can't see another reason to shoot the stream that direction.

Oops- let me clarify, this isn't my footage. I live right above this marina, but didn't fly my Mavic yesterday. This is going around on Facebook among people who live here and I was wondering if people felt the footage was appropriate. (It's not actually Mavic footage, it's from a Parrot Bebop I think he said). I'll edit my original post to clarify that.

Good question about whether they tried to signal the drone or not though.

I see no interfering. Had they engaged aerial means then yes you'd want to clear the place stat, but in this case it's not preventing nor messing with the operation.

To me the boat just drifted until he repositioned, no signaling. Was maybe busy talking on the radio or something...

Reactions: maviccoder
I think I posted this in another thread somewhere but it fits better here. We had an apartment fire just up the street from our house about three weeks ago. I sent up the bird from my back yard and then flew it down near the fire. I kept it above 200' and pulled it back about 300' so that I was well out of the way and then I went into an orbit around the whole scene. When I got through the first battery and pulled it down to switch out, one of the guys from the Fire Marshall's office saw me changing the battery and came over. He just asked a few questions and then asked if I could play back some of the video for him, so I did. Then he wanted to know was I going to fly again and after saying yes, he then asked could I fly it to specific spots and get in really close to which I gladly agreed to do. Anyway it was a couple of hours before they had the fire knocked completely down and started mopping up so I had plenty of time to charge some batteries so I went back down there during cleanup and the guy asked me again to fly in to specific spots so he could see. I even ran back to the house and put everything on a stick and gave it to them. The fire chief even came over and asked if he could get copies for them so they could post on their website. Which I knew all of the guys there as I have worked as a resource with Emergency Management for many years, but they could just as easily have been an a$$ about it too.

Having been around EM though for a long time I can see where there could be potential problems with random drones flying around scenes. Large wildfires aren't the only places where you have air operations going on. I have been to many a search and rescue mission, car accident, house fire, etc. Where you had air ops as part of the response. Highway Patrol, Medevac, CAP just to name a few are sometimes needed at responses and you don't want a random drone operator that you can't communicate with, and you have no clue what his next move is going to be, to put your operation at risk. That is why they shut down all air ops because they just don't know. The reality though in the word today is a lot of fire departments are using drones themselves and if they are trying to fly their birds in response to an emergency, then they don't need someone they don't know and can't communicate with in their airspace. That is the real reason the FAA put that "never fly near emergency operations" rule in place is because communications is everything in any emergency response and some random drone pilot that doesn't know how emergency operations work or have any line of communication with the response crews can really cause a lot of problems.

If there isn't a TFR zone in place, stay back well away from the area especially if you aren't sure if they will be conducting Air Ops in response to the emergency. If you KNOW or SUSPECT they are conducting Air Ops (like in a wild land fire operation) DON'T FLY AT ALL. To do so is absolutely stupid and as you have seen in the news can land you in jail. If you are flying around, well back from an emergency scene, remember that even local TV stations have helicopter news crews and they are always looking a good fire/accident. Remember they are out there and could be down in lower airspace. News crews are more and more using drones as well so keep that in mind. Also remember that MOST news people are not our (drone community) friends. When was the last time you saw a really POSITIVE news story on personal drones? Everyone I have seen paints us all in the same light as terrorists and a danger to everyone. Any appearance of you not following the rules, and the media sees it, you will be breaking news at 6:00.

Last edited:
In Australia for any Aussies reading, yes it is illegal to fly around emergency workers in an emergency situation. Flying around fires or accidents is a big no-no.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead