DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the DJI sub 250 gram drone going to be the standard for drones in the future?

Fishrelish

Reactions
So does anyone think the new standard for drones coming out in the future will be the sub 250 gram size? Obviously, DJI put the first one out but I wonder how many other manufactures are going to make one cramming high tech in such a small platform in the months to come as long as the FAA will not regulate the sub 250’s too. I feel like majority of people do not and will not register a drone above the 250 gram size when one smaller does not need to be. Who thinks drone sales are going to go down with all the extras that customers are speculated to pay for when flying a drone over the 250 gram size? Currently I fly a Mavic Air but if at some point, I am going to have to pay some monthly charges to fly it I will sell it. Just curious about other peoples thoughts and opinions.

trying to predict the future,when it comes to drones, is about as easy as getting all the lotto numbers right,i think we should all stop worrying about our hobby for now ,and concentrate on more pressing issues like some kind of virus trying to wipe us out, ( these comments are not intended to cause offence,if they do then i apologise in advance)

I doubt it. From July this year all drones with cameras need to be registered and the owners pass a test regardless of weight here in Europe and the UK. Other countries will follow suit.

So does anyone think the new standard for drones coming out in the future will be the sub 250 gram size? Obviously, DJI put the first one out but I wonder how many other manufactures are going to make one cramming high tech in such a small platform in the months to come as long as the FAA will not regulate the sub 250’s too. I feel like majority of people do not and will not register a drone above the 250 gram size when one smaller does not need to be. Who thinks drone sales are going to go down with all the extras that customers are speculated to pay for when flying a drone over the 250 gram size? Currently I fly a Mavic Air but if at some point, I am going to have to pay some monthly charges to fly it I will sell it. Just curious about other peoples thoughts and opinions.
Don't worry, if "sub 250 grams" category gets too playful and popular, I'm sure governments are going to come up with something restrictive...

phantom
i hope not , they dont have a good track record in any kind of wind , I will keep my mavic pro and DJI Phantom 3 Advanced .

It seems unlikely to me. The bigger drones carry the weight of better cameras much more easily. They fly safely in a greater variety of wind conditions, they can carry heavier batteries to allow longer flights, and they can be constructed little more ruggedly to withstand heavy usage. There is little to no regulatory advantage to them. All flight restriction zones apply equally to them as well as the bigger drones.

I doubt it. From July this year all drones with cameras need to be registered and the owners pass a test regardless of weight here in Europe and the UK. Other countries will follow suit.

Hopefully not in the USA!

I really think we are getting over stressed here in the UK. As every sub 12 year old I know has a drone of some description and they are not likely to be taking any test or examination. That means the enforcing authority, whoever that will be, have neither the manpower or interest in chasing every drone owner to see whether the craft weighs more than 250 grams.
The regulation was conceived in haste and will be seen to be unenforceable. Unenforceable law is BAD law.
The only time any law or regulation will be used will be when some one does something stupid and makes an almost determined effort to be noticed.
I belong to a model aircraft club who fly locally. Who have flown at the flying field for the past forty years without a single problem. They are now up in arms at the thought of being regulated as a result of the actions of the "new kids on the block". I am almost afraid to admit to flying my Mavic Pro as it winds them up and they see regulatory interference in their hobby as a direct reaction to a few alledged indecretions by drone pilots.
Take the test, its so simple as to be virtually worthless. Get some insurance to protect yourself in case you damage someone's property, fly sensibly and stop panicking over some thing which is not going to change your life!
At my age I have seen far worse things to worry about.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929