DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is There A way To Fly The Mavic 2 Pro Without Being Signed In To DJI Account?

I don't use the SC, but when I found that DJI required me to sign in when I was in the high-desert with no service, I just quit DJI GO 4 and loaded LITCHI. However, I think there are issues installing LITCHI on the SC.

Chris
Thank you !!
I will get on top of the research and report back if I have any luck with the install.
Thanks Again!

Reactions: Droniac
Thank you !!
I will get on top of the research and report back if I have any luck with the install.
Thanks Again!
You're welcome, but seeing the response from slup above, it might not work that way anymore (see the last line of the owners manual clip). I know I did it and have video of that session to prove it, but that could have been with an earlier version of DJI Go (maybe even I'm remembering this with my old Phantom). LITCHI uses the DJI SDK and it could be that back then, 3rd party apps were not require to sign in, but they are today. It would be a weird requirement, but that's what that clip seems to be saying.

Also (I saw your rant before it was cleaned up), this is really only disappointing that first time. Once you sign in, you typically can just go out the field and fly with DJO Go 4 and not have this problem.

Just sign in now and remember to re-sign in any time you reinstall the app or do any major resets to the aircraft or remote. After that, it's no worries.

As to why they require a sign in, I can't say (maybe someone else here can chime in with a reasonable purpose for their requirement, like it needing to associate a user with the cloud stored flight logs or something).

Chris

Reactions: Droniac and IMU
You're welcome, but seeing the response from slup above, it might not work that way anymore (see the last line of the owners manual clip). I know I did it and have video of that session to prove it, but that could have been with an earlier version of DJI Go (maybe even I'm remembering this with my old Phantom). LITCHI uses the DJI SDK and it could be that back then, 3rd party apps were not require to sign in, but they are today. It would be a weird requirement, but that's what that clip seems to be saying.

Also (I saw your rant before it was cleaned up), this is really only disappointing that first time. Once you sign in, you typically can just go out the field and fly with DJO Go 4 and not have this problem.

Just sign in now and remember to re-sign in any time you reinstall the app or do any major resets to the aircraft or remote. After that, it's no worries.

As to why they require a sign in, I can't say (maybe someone else here can chime in with a reasonable purpose for their requirement, like it needing to associate a user with the cloud stored flight logs or something).

Chris
You are 100 percent correct.
Our world is going the way of, you buy it, we monitor.
For what ever reasons, it is hard to swallow.
Grew up in rural South Carolina as an only child.
Acres and acres of land to explore.
The only monitor that I had was the station wagon car horn.
Used to hate it.
When I heard it, it meant that I had to stop and come home.
If not, I lost mini bike privelage.
I miss that horn now.
Just installed Litchi on Smart Controller, through a freshly installed Amazon App.... lo and behold, I have to sign into the Amazon App to use Litchi.
Cannot help but wonder how the Harley Davidson crowd will act, when one day, they are required to sign in to start the Harley.

Gotta go.
Mother nature calls.

Thank God I do not have to sign in to do that.

today

Michael

I'm not sure what the future holds for driving cars and bikes on the road, but they do already have rules and regulations for safety and liabilities, for good reasons.

Putting a bird in the sky that can cause damage or injury has to be regulated as well. It's not in any way similar to riding a bicycle off road on acres of unpopulated land.

As for the Amazon sign in, I can't help you there. I suggest asking about this in the controller app forum area:

... or perhaps the Smart Controller forum area:

Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: Droniac and IMU
Does it have to do with security of drone?
What I mean is my Mavic has its serial number attached to my sign in info..
I always thought that was because if someone stole my drone they could not fly it without my log in info?
I might be wrong…

I have a Air 2 with a smart controller. When I fly, I have no map. I don't have Wifi to connect to. I have registered my drone with FAA and signed in with DJI for all my updates. I have all my info on the drone. I don't believe I have any limitations in flying. Return to home works (lost connection twice due to a lot of walnut trees around me. Using the "lost my drone" feature does present a problem. The SC does provide coordinates so I can use my motorcycle Zumo to find my drone (I have tested that). I'm not even promoted when I connect to my drone on start up.

... When I fly, I have no map. I don't have Wifi to connect to. I have registered my drone with FAA...

...and signed in with DJI

I don't believe I have any limitations in flying.
Not having a map due that the SC isn't connected & being registered with FAA have nothing to do with being limited to 30m height & 50m range.

What matters is that you need to log in to your DJI account in the DJI GO4 app while you're connected (impossible to log in without being connected). Once logged in you will be considered to be logged in even if you go off-line & can fly unrestricted. If you log out you will face the restrictions & if off-line then ... you can't log in again & need to deal with the restrictions until you can go online & log in again.

Return to home works...Using the "lost my drone"... I'm not even promoted when I connect to my drone on start up.
RTH & the find my drone functionality have nothing to do with being logged in to your DJI account or not ... these 2 functions rely on good enough GPS positional data, nothing more.

Personally (and this is just my own speculation), I think the sign-in requirements are simply a means for DJI to absolve themselves of certain liabilities. When you sign in, you agree to terms (whether you read them or not). What that probably means is that you (not DJI) are now responsible for what the aircraft does, or what you do with the aircraft.

You can search the web for other opinions. I find a lot of "I paid for this thing and I should be able to do what I want, where and when I want. Who owns this thing? I do!"

This kind of opinion eclipses naivety and jumps right into arrogance, ignorance, and irresponsibility. There are other points of view—use your search engine.

It isn't just that you're operating an aircraft that can damage property, injure someone, or even cause death on the ground where you crash (such as on a highway); you can also get into airspace of manned aircraft and cause even more havoc (which can cause their deaths as well as others on the ground they crash into).

Then there are other legal issues, such as your invasion of someone's privacy, or the potential for spying on sensitive properties (government controlled or otherwise). When you sign on, you're assuming responsibility for all of those things in the user agreement.

This is all aside from other responsibilities to the FAA (when you got your recreational registration, or better) and any laws/regulations in your locale, regardless of DJI's sign-in requirements.

When people flew model airplanes (and they might still), nobody much worried about them due to their quite limited range and small number of pilots, plus the lack of photographic equipment. We live in a different world now.

Chris

I would think the log in serves two purposes...flight logs and your ownership of the drone. If you lost your drone, someone else found it and bought a controller to pair it with, they could not fly as you without being logged in. They would have to have their own account or suffer the limitations. It would protect you if someone stole your drone with the intention of using it for nefarious purposes unless they were logged in as you...

Used to hate it.
I miss that horn now.
Just installed Litchi on Smart Controller, through a freshly installed Amazon App.... lo and behold, I have to sign into the Amazon App to use Litchi.
Cannot help but wonder how the Harley Davidson crowd will act, when one day, they are required to sign in to start the Harley.

Gotta go.
Mother nature calls.

today

Michael
You can set your RC / drones to NOT send info back to DJI. I'm sure some data may go back they may use for product development / or upgrades to app / firmware that is shown in that.

I don't synch or anything else with DJI; so what they may get is very little use to them. Even if they did get my data - hope they seeing me fly around waterfalls and such; since I rarely if ever fly around any kind of restricted / no fly zones to begin with (we have very few in Western NC where I do fly).

DJI "IS NOT" Huawei who makes Internet routers and switches that CAN capture all kinds of data that may be useful - since it carries emails, etc. All the hoopla by DC Morons is ridiculous - to the extent of trying to ban DJI outright from selling period in the US. I think certain gov officials are pissed that DJI commands over 50% of the rec type drone market; yet until American or anyone else building drones can come close - they will continue that lead. Yet, with so many things high tech - it only takes one slip and the "Big Dog" is no longer the big dog any longer.. Saw that happen often in Silicon Valley on late 90's / early 00's. Worked for one of those companies - Palm, Inc.

I have a Air 2 with a smart controller. When I fly, I have no map. I don't have Wifi to connect to. I have registered my drone with FAA and signed in with DJI for all my updates. I have all my info on the drone. I don't believe I have any limitations in flying. Return to home works (lost connection twice due to a lot of walnut trees around me. Using the "lost my drone" feature does present a problem. The SC does provide coordinates so I can use my motorcycle Zumo to find my drone (I have tested that). I'm not even promoted when I connect to my drone on start up.
Promoted should have read PROMPTED.

I believe you can interpret IMU's question in more than one way. Sorry I upset SLUP. I will try to do better.

• Love
Reactions: Droniac and slup
Personally (and this is just my own speculation), I think the sign-in requirements are simply a means for DJI to absolve themselves of certain liabilities. When you sign in, you agree to terms (whether you read them or not). What that probably means is that you (not DJI) are now responsible for what the aircraft does, or what you do with the aircraft.
That has always been my opinion as well. I can't remember for sure but don't you have to give credit card info on the first time you acknowledge and accept responsibility for flight into a yellow zone? I live close to a large military airport and while my flights are always in the opposite direction I often have to click off that I'm aware of it's location and accept responsibility.
I don't need that warning but having an aircraft background and seeing how the courts go after the engine and aircraft manufactures after accidents that were caused by fuel exhaustion I can certainly understand it.

Used to hate it.
I miss that horn now.

Gotta go.
Mother nature calls.

today

Michael

Used to hate it.
I miss that horn now.

Gotta go.
Mother nature calls.

today

Michael
And wear helmets. Some will say… FTW 🤷🏻

You can set your RC / drones to NOT send info back to DJI. I'm sure some data may go back they may use for product development / or upgrades to app / firmware that is shown in that.

I don't synch or anything else with DJI; so what they may get is very little use to them. Even if they did get my data - hope they seeing me fly around waterfalls and such; since I rarely if ever fly around any kind of restricted / no fly zones to begin with (we have very few in Western NC where I do fly).

DJI "IS NOT" Huawei who makes Internet routers and switches that CAN capture all kinds of data that may be useful - since it carries emails, etc. All the hoopla by DC Morons is ridiculous - to the extent of trying to ban DJI outright from selling period in the US. I think certain gov officials are pissed that DJI commands over 50% of the rec type drone market; yet until American or anyone else building drones can come close - they will continue that lead. Yet, with so many things high tech - it only takes one slip and the "Big Dog" is no longer the big dog any longer.. Saw that happen often in Silicon Valley on late 90's / early 00's. Worked for one of those companies - Palm, Inc.
Lucid thinking imo. Godspeed, Droniac

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78