DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this gimbal tilt normal?

notDante

Reactions
Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

I recently unboxed my Mavic Air, and noticed that when moving left or right, the quad tilts and everything looks normal until it reaches a certain degree, then suddenly the gimbal tilts quickly as if it cannot compensate for the angle past that point.

I've uploaded a video of the issue to youtube to help illustrate the problem.

Thanks!

Dan

How far are you tilting the drone? Can you show us a video of the drone while you tilt it?

Reactions: notDante
Hi,

Thanks for the response!

I'm tilting the quad approximately 12-13 degrees in either direction to get the effect. When the gimbal jumps in the video, it is flush with the quad as if the quad was hovering and the camera was pointed forward. As soon as I'm home ill post a video of the angle of the drone when the gimbal jumps

Also I should have added in my original post, I attempted to edit but it wouldn't let me; All firmware is up to date, the quad has never been crashed or had a hard landing. I calibrated the gimbal multiple times just to be safe, as well.

Thanks for your time,

Dan

The gimbal is able to keep the camera level at up to a 30 degree tilt in either direction. When I perform this test on my Mavic Air, the blue line on the attitude indicator appears to be at 30 degrees when the camera view starts tilting in DJI GO.

upload_2018-7-15_21-2-58.png

The gimbal is able to keep the camera level at up to a 30 degree tilt in either direction. When I perform this test on my Mavic Air, the blue line on the attitude indicator appears to be at 30 degrees when the camera view starts tilting in DJI GO.

View attachment 42128

Sorry about the delay,

I took a video of the gimbal and I believe this looks to be approximately 30 degrees, however DJI told me I should send it to them for repair. Im not 100% sure its necessary, and Id prefer not to send it as I live in Canada so its not a quick or cheap process!

Heres a link to the requested video

What do you think? Ive only noticed it in actual footage a couple times while flying to one side quickly.

Thanks again for your time.

Dan

What do you think?
All looks good to me. I wouldn't send it into DJI if I was you.

Ive only noticed it in actual footage a couple times while flying to one side quickly.
If you practice making slow, controlled movements while filming, you likely won't run into that issue.

All looks good to me. I wouldn't send it into DJI if I was you.

If you practice making slow, controlled movements while filming, you likely won't run into that issue.

Awesome,

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it, I was thinking the same thing!

Perfectly normal. In P mode the aircraft limits its speed/acceleration precisely in order not to reach the tilt amounts that cause the gimbal to unlock. In Sports mode you're on your own and will hit it if you push things.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ